with the Ugly:
a GEDCOM doc is very slow, my apologies, patience will be
a GEDCOM doc from Your Relatives is very slow, my apologies,
patience will be required.
cannot import a GEDCOM from an iOS device, only from computers / laptops. But
you may generate and email a GEDCOM doc from the iOS device.
how often does one import or generate an GEDCOM doc ? Not often,
maybe once, or twice ...
with the Good:
You can insert multimedia into containers fields, these are the options in iOS (one item per container):
Camera - take a photo or video.
Audio - record a voice memo or other
Signature - provides a screen that accepts a drawn signature.
Photos – insert photos from the Photo Library.
Music – insert music from Music Library.
– insert files from the on-device
storage for FileMaker Go, called Files on Device, which appears
on the FileMaker Go Home Screen. This is where FileMaker Go stores
locally installed database files.
from these containers you can view
the photos, play
the videos, play
the recorded memos, sounds, and music. And if a file can be opened,
you may open it to see the content, specially view the content
of “pdf” files.
- Feature: A full genealogy software application with a graphical display of family kinship that makes it easy to understand how kin are related to each other. You can document a large set of personal events and family events, each event with its own citation.
- GEDCOM: Importing GEDCOM documents can be performed only from a desktop/laptop. Currently mobile devices (iPhone, iPad) cannot import GEDCOM doc; however, they can create, export or save, view and email a GEDCOM doc.
- Desktop Versions: Windows (PC), OSX (MAC), purchased separately. Work on your desktop.
- Mobile Devices: Need to do genealogy on your iPhone, no problem. Need or want to do genealogy on your iPad, no problem. Each desktop version above can generate an iOS database component that can be transferred to an iPhone or iPad. Show your kin, add, update family data on the go, and then transfer data back to your desktop.
- Web Viewer And Archive: A Web Viewer and Archive screen is provided and can store website bookmarks, notes, and has "containers" for holding multimedia files: Photos, Audio/Video, PDF, or any type of File. The same functionality is provided on the iPhone / iPad as available on a desktop. On the Web Viewer you can display websites, use Google to do web research for your genealogy.
- Iphone / Ipad: On the road at a relative, or ... you encounter a document for a relative, no scanner in site, no problem, use your iPhone or iPad camera. Goto to the Webviewer / Archiver screen, select the relative, take a photo of the document, store directly into a container of an empty record, add a note, add a date and a time. This info. is now archived. More documents ? Repeat the above, i.e. take a photo of a birth certificate, military discharge papers, censor records, pages from a passport, or of an old family photo.
- Same Data Everywhere: There is no auto sync-ing between mobile devices and computers. However: Your Relatives can create an Update file that can be transferred and used to perform updates to all devices.
Download a 30 day Demo:
- These 30 day demo's are fully functional, and can create a file to be transferred and used in iPhone or iPad. Choose your download appropriate for your operating system:
If You get a popup to "Create a Free Dropbox Account", you may dismiss it, with the X at top right, or "No thanks, continue to download" at the bottom of the popup. Then click Download again if necessary.
NOTE: To run the database component on an iPhone or iPad a separate "Free" app, Filemaker Go , is required and must be downloaded from the Apple iTune Store.
*** if you have suggestions, issues use the comment button at the bottom of the page. ***
PAY WITH PayPal, Debit or Credit Card Via PayPal:
Your Relatives Full Versions:
OS X (MAC) version ($59.99): Windows (PC) version ($59.99):
Checkout Via Paypal - PayPal, Debit or Credit:
OSX (MAC) Windows (PC)
VERY IMPORTANT (FOR WINDOWS USERS), after downloading the installers follow instructions below:
The "Your Relatives" genealogy software has versions that run on: OS X (MAC), and Windows (PC) platforms, purchased separately. Each platform version easily provides a database component that will run on an iPhone and iPad devices. To run the database component on an iPhone or iPad a separate free app, Filemaker Go, is required and must be downloaded from the Apple iTune Store.
The "Your Relatives" genealogy software easily displays kin, from Great Grand Parents through Great Grand Children, 7 generations of any person in the database.
iPhone: Menu Items, & Tree
(Click Image To Enlarge)
Ipad and Desktop Home Page
(Click Image To Enlarge)
iPhone WebViewer Page 1 and 2
(Click Image To Enlarge)
In the Your Relatives software you can document and edit family genealogy data using manual data entry, you may export and on your desktop import GEDCOM documents. Furthermore, the file with the .fmpur extension, "Family Data iOS.fmpur" (the database component), can be transferred to a Mobile device and the computer using iTunes, or email.
There is no auto sync-ing between mobile devices and computers. However, this software allows a methods to have the same data between mobile devices and a computer:
- In iOS and computers, create an Update file, it will be named YR_Update.fmpur.
- Transfer the Update file to all devices. On desktops place in the Your Relatives folder.
- Open each Your Relatives and execute an update (it uses the update file).
NOTE: You only have a license to install in 3 different machines, a desktop and iPhone and iPad, or two desktops and iPhone or iPad. The software will not run on a fourth electronic device.
"Your Relatives" And GEDCOM Documents.
The GEDCOM 5.5 standard has extensive capabilities for documenting all sorts of information about an individuals genealogy.
NOTE: Though genealogy software applications claim adherence to GEDCOM 5.5 standard, there are usually some variation in the implementation. Hence, not all details are imported as expected. Regretfully a fact of life in dealing with importing genealogy GEDCOM files. For genealogy applications, most "events" import correctly; on the other hand, citation details are often problematic. If a genealogy software application achieves about 90% of properly placing imported GEDCOM details from a different genealogy software application, that is pretty good. This is an opinion offered by this developer.
The Your Relatives software uses the following set of the data available from the GEDCOM 5.5 standard. For an individual, partners, children, and families:
- Last Name
- First and Middle Name
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Date of Death
- Place of Death
- Occupation, with note
- Religion, with note
- Education, with note
- Various Name Type: Maiden, married, aka, prefix, suffix and others
- Document 21 Events for an Individual: Birth, adoption, baptism, death, burial, cremation, emigration, immigration, graduation, first communion, Bar Mitzvah, Bas Mitzvah, and many others.
- Source Citation documentation for every Individual's Events, with notes, and multimedia storage.
- Document 9 Events for a Family: Marriage, divorce, annulment, engagement, marriage contract, and others
- Source Citation documentation for every Family Event, with notes, and multimedia storage.
- Web Viewer and Archiver, allows viewing websites, recording notes, website bookmarks, and storing documents and photos. These data are also saved to the GEDCOM file.
Only the above data for an individual, partners, children, and families are imported from a GEDCOM document generated by another source. It is also the only data exported or saved in the GEDCOM format by this the "Your Relatives" software.
NOTE: If you are importing a GEDCOM document created from a different source, make sure to first insert the photos and documents used by that source into the folder called "Your Relatives Docs". This folder can be found in the Your Relatives folder where the Your Relatives software application resides. The Your Relatives software will use the photos and documents / files from this folder to display them in the containers.
For "Not Private" Comments: Click Here