with the Ugly:
a GEDCOM doc is very slow, my apologies, patience will be
a GEDCOM doc from Your Relatives is very slow, my apologies,
patience will be required.
cannot import a GEDCOM from an iOS device, only from computers / laptops. But
you may generate and email a GEDCOM doc from the iOS device.
how often does one import or generate an GEDCOM doc ? Not often,
maybe once, or twice ...
with the Good (no Bad):
On iOS (no less than iPhone 4S, and 3rd
generation iPad, and iOS
5 or better), with
Siri activated (and WiFi), you may use
enter text in text fields. And can “Speak”
the text in text fields.
devices you will insert multimedia into container (one item per
container) fields, these are the options:
lets take a photo and insert
a photo or video.
lets you record
a voice memo or other
provides a screen that accepts a drawn signature using a fingertip or capacitive stylus.
photos from the Photo
library on the iOS
Music – insert
music from Music
library on the iOS
files from the on-device
storage for FileMaker Go, called Files on Device, which appears
on the FileMaker Go Home Screen. This is where FileMaker Go stores
locally installed database files.
from these containers you can view
the photos, play
the videos, play
the recorded memos, sounds, and music. And if a file can be opened,
you may open it to see the content, specially view the content
of “pdf” files.
- Feature: A full genealogy software application with a graphical display of family kinship that makes it easy to understand how kin are related to each other. The graphical display of family kinship provides easy viewing of kin for any individual in the database by clicking / tapping buttons. e.g. clicking buttons easily display Great Grand Parents, Grand Parents, Uncles, 2nd Cousins, 1st Cousins 1's Removed (1C1R), ... thru seven generations. See Home Page figures below. You can document a large set of personal events and family events, each event with its own citation.
- Desktop Versions: Windows (PC), OSX (MAC). Work on your desktop, and take your data with you on your iPhone or iPad. Vice versa, work on your iPhone or iPad then transfer to your desktop.
- Mobile Devices: Need to do genealogy on your iPhone, no problem. Need or want to do genealogy on your iPad, no problem. Each desktop version above has a database component that can be transferred to an iPhone or iPad. Show your kin, update family data on the go, and then transfer data back to your desktop.
- Web Viewer And Archive: A Web Viewer and Archive screen is provided and can store website bookmarks, notes with drag & drop text from the Web Viewer or a browser, and has "containers" for holding multimedia files: Photos, QuickTime, Sounds, Audio/Video, PDF, or any type of File, and store a person's address. The same functionality is provided on the iPhone / iPad as available on a desktop. On the Web Viewer you can display websites, use Google to do web research for your genealogy.
- Iphone / Ipad: You may use voice dictation to enter text into text fields.
To use Voice Dictation, you must have “Siri” activated in the iOS device, then meet all three
of the following requirements:
You must be running iOS 5 or better on a supported device.
You must be connected to the Internet using WiFi or a cellular data connection.
You must be using a supported language.
Currently the new iPad (3rd generation) and the iPhone 4S are the only iOS devices
that support Voice Dictation.
Currently Voice Dictation is supported for English (United States, United Kingdom,
Australia), French (France), German (Germany) and Japanese (Japan). In 2012, Siri
will support additional languages, including Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish.
On the road at a relative, or ... you encounter a document for a relative, no scanner in site, no problem, use your iPhone or iPad with a camera. Goto to the Webviewer / Archiver screen, select the relative, take a photo of the document, store directly into a container of an empty record, add a note, add a date and a time. This info. is now archived. More documents ? Repeat the above, i.e. take a photo of a birth certificate, military discharge papers, censor records, pages from a passport, or of an old family photo.
- Download a 30 day Demo:
- These 30 day demo's are fully functional, and can be transferred to an iPhone or iPad and back to a desktop. Choose your download appropriate for your operating system:
- Download Your Relatives User Guides (These guides are the most up to date):
NOTE: To run the database component on an iPhone or iPad a separate "Free" app, Filemaker Go 13, is required and must be downloaded from the Apple iTune Store. Free: Filemaker Go 13 For iPhone; Free: Filemaker Go 13 For iPad.
- Same Data: Two methods to have the same data between a mobile device and a computer:
- Transfers Between Desktop and Mobile Devices, and back: iTunes, email. The database component (Family Data.fmpur) can be transferred using iTunes from a desktop to the iPhone or iPad, and from the iPhone or iPad to the desktop. Furthermore, the database component (Family Data.fmpur) can also be transferred by email from iPhone or iPad to a desktop, and vice-versa. However, if files become very large, email servers will not allow emailing, therefore using iTunes is preferred. You should be able to email pdf reports from any platform.
- Import and Export GEDCOM documents: The Your Relative software on your desktop can import and export or save GEDCOM standard documents. From the iPhone or iPad you can create, view, email, and save a GEDCOM document, which you can then email and import on your desktop.
- Reports: Currently 1 type of report in pdf format can be generated, that is, lists of relatives organized by kin relationships, e.g. Great Grand Parents, Grand Parents, Uncles, 2nd Cousins, 1st Cousins 1's Removed (1C1R), ... thru seven generations. The report is in pdf format and has a small photo for each relative, and can be emailed from the desktop or iPhone or iPad. The Your Relatives genealogy software is not about paper printing reports, though you can can print the pdf documents, it is about displaying your relatives, kin, electronically. Display kin on a desktop, or laptop, or a mobile device, the iPhone, the iPad. On a Laptop or desktop only, you can append pdf reports to another pdf document to customize your reports before emailing.
- GEDCOM Documents: Importing GEDCOM documents can be performed only from a desktop. Currently mobile devices (iPhone, iPad) cannot import GEDCOM doc; however, they can create, export or save, view and email a GEDCOM doc.
- NOTE: If you are importing a GEDCOM document created from different source, make sure to first insert the photos and documents into the folder called Your Relatives Docs. This folder can be found in the same location as the Your Relatives software application. The Your Relatives software will use the photos and documents from this folder to display them in the containers. The Your Relatives Docs folder must always be in the same location as the Your Relative software.
Before you buy, peruse the Screen Guides to see if this software will do what you want.
*** if you have suggestions, issues use the comment button at the bottom of the page. ***
Choose your desktop version.
YOU CHOOSE WHO TO PAY WITH, Google Checkout, or PayPal:
The BUY NOW buttons will redirect you to Google Checkout; or, PayPal buttons will redirect you to PayPal:
Buy OSX (MAC) version, iPhone & iPad Ready ($79.99): Buy Windows (PC) version, iPhone & iPad Ready ($79.99):
OSX (MAC) Your Relatives Windows (PC) Your Relatives
OSX (MAC) Your Relatives Windows (PC) Your Relatives
VERY IMPORTANT (FOR WINDOWS USERS), after downloading the installers follow instructions below:
NOTE: To run the database component on an iPhone or iPad a separate "Free" app, Filemaker Go 12, is required and must be downloaded from the Apple iTune Store. Free: Filemaker Go 12 For iPhone; Free: Filemaker Go 12 For iPad.
The "Your Relatives" genealogy software has versions that run on: OS X (MAC), and Windows (PC) platforms. Each platform version provides a database component that will run on an iPhone and iPad mobile devices. To run the database component on an iPhone or iPad a separate free app, Filemaker Go 12, is required and must be downloaded from the Apple iTune Store.
The "Your Relatives" genealogy software easily displays kin, from Great Grand Parents through Great Grand Children, 7 generations, e.g. Great Grand Parents, 2nd Cousins, 1st Cousins, Grand Uncles and Aunts, and ...) of any person in the database.
Iphone Home Page 1
(Click Image To Enlarge)
Ipad and Desktop Home Page
(Click Image To Enlarge)
iPhone Web Viewer Page 1 and 3
(Click Image To Enlarge)
In the Your Relatives software on your desktop you can document and edit family genealogy data using manual data entry, you may export and import GEDCOM documents. Furthermore, the file with the .fmpur extension, "Family Data.fmpur" (the database component), can be transferred back and forth between a Mobile device and the computer using iTunes, or email.
There is no auto sync-ing between mobile devices and computers. However, this software allows at least two methods to have the same data between a mobile device and a computer:
- Use iTunes on your desktop, or
- Use email.
- Use Dropbox, from dropbox to mobile device only.
- Use GEDCOM documents, and import from a desktop, then transfer the database component (Family Data.fmpur) to a mobile device.
NOTE: You only have a license to install in 3 different machines, a desktop and iPhone and iPad, or two desktops and iPhone or iPad. The software will not run on a fourth electronic device.
About The Your Relatives Software.
The "Your Relatives" software is made up of two components. On the computer, inside the Your Relatives folder there is the Your Relatives application component, and the database Family Data.fmpur component. The file with the .fmpr extension contains the content of the database; hence, can be transferred between computer and mobile device, and vice-versa.
"Your Relatives" And GEDCOM Documents.
Similarly on mobile devices, there are two components. There is the Filemaker Go app, and there is the Family Data.fmpur component. The applications: Your Relatives (on your desktop), and Filemaker Go (on your mobile device), are used to open and run the Family Data.fmpur database components.
To run on a mobile device, iPhone or iPad, the free Filemaker Go 13 for iPhone (Filemaker Go 13 For iPad) is required to be downloaded and installed on your mobile device. Must be obtained from Apple's iTunes Store. There is the Filemaker Go 13 for iPhones, and a separate one for iPads.
Above figures shows page one of the iPhone home pages, and the iPad/computer home page. The following link provides more details for the various iphone, iPad and Computer Screens / Pages for the Your Relatives software.
The GEDCOM 5.5 standard has extensive capabilities for documenting all sorts of information about an individuals genealogy.
NOTE: Though genealogy software applications claim adherence to GEDCOM 5.5 standard, there are usually some variation in the implementation. Hence, not all details are imported as expected. Regretfully a fact of life in dealing with importing genealogy GEDCOM files. For genealogy applications, most "events" import correctly; on the other hand, citation details are often problematic. If a genealogy software application achieves about 90% of properly placing imported GEDCOM details from a different genealogy software application, that is pretty good. This is an opinion offered by this developer.
The Your Relatives software uses the following set of the data available from the GEDCOM 5.5 standard. For an individual, partners, children, and families:
- Last Name
- First and Middle Name
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Date of Death
- Place of Death
- Occupation, with note
- Religion, with note
- Education, with note
- Various Name Type: Maiden, married, aka, prefix, suffix and others
- Document 21 Events for an Individual: Birth, adoption, baptism, death, burial, cremation, emigration, immigration, graduation, first communion, Bar Mitzvah, Bas Mitzvah, and many others.
- Source Citation documentation for every Event, with notes, and multimedia storage.
- Document 9 Events for a Family: Marriage, divorce, annulment, engagement, marriage contract, and others
- Source Citation documentation for every Family Event, with notes, and multimedia storage.
- Web Viewer and Archiver, allows recording addresses, allows viewing websites, recording notes, and storing documents and photos. These data are also saved to the GEDCOM file.
Only the above data for an individual, partners, children, and families are imported from a GEDCOM document generated by another source. It is also the only data exported or saved in the GEDCOM format by this the "Your Relatives" software.
NOTE: If you are importing a GEDCOM document created from a different source, make sure to first insert the photos and documents used by that source into the folder called "Your Relatives Docs". This folder can be found in the Your Relatives folder where the Your Relatives software application resides. The Your Relatives software will use the photos and documents / files from this folder to display them in the containers.
For "Not Private" Comments: Click Here