- Youngjae Kim is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Sogang University. He leads the Laboratory for Advanced System Software (LASS).
- He received his B.S. degree in computer science and engineering from Sogang University (2001), and his M.S. (2003) in computer science from KAIST, and his Ph.D. (2009) in computer science and engineering from The Pennsylvania State University. After his Ph.D., he worked as a full time reserach staff member in US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) from 2009 to 2015. While having been with ORNL, he held an adjunct professor position at Georgia Institutue of Technology from 2011 to 2014. Before joning Sogang, he worked as an assistant professor in the computer engineering department at Ajou University from 2015 to 2016.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Sogang University, Seoul, Korea (2016-Present)
- Director of LASS (Laboratory for Advanced System Software - 차세대 시스템 소프트웨어 연구실), Sogang Universityy
- Assistant Professor, Department of Software and Computer Engineering, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea (2015-2016)
- Director of FAST Lab. (Future Systems and Storage Technologies Laboratory), Ajou University
- Research Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory for US Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN, USA (2009 - 2015)
- Team leader for Non-Volatile Memory File System Team, National Center for Computational Sciences (2014-2015)
- Explored non-volatile memory devices from several perspectives including memory extension, burst buffers, out-of-core data analytics, and fault tolerance for extreme compute and data system
- Research Staff Member -- Level III (2012 - 2015)
- Associate Research Staff Member -- Level II (2009-2011)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2011-2014)
- Researcher, Embedded OS Team, ETRI, Daejeon, Korea (2003-3004)
- Ph.D., Computer Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, December 2009.
- M.S., Computer Science, KAIST, July 2003.
- B.S. (hons.), Computer Science and Engineering, Sogang University, August 2001.
- Research Areas: Operating System, Big Data, High Performance Computing, Cloud Computing
- Interest Areas: File and Storage Systems, Distributed File Systems, End-to-End I/O Optimization, Cache Design and Optimization, Application System-level Profiling, Flash Memory, Capacity Planning for Storage in Data Centers, Computer System Security
- [TPDS'16] Optimizing End-to-End Big Data Transfers over Terabits Network Infrastructure, Youngjae Kim, Scott Atchley, Geoffroy R. Valle ́e, Matt Lee, Galen M. Shipman, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (IEEE TPDS 2016) (Impact Factor: 2.17, According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report)
- [DAC'16-Poster] Synchronous Independent Write Cache: A Novel SSD-aware Write Cache for RAID, Junghee Lee, Youngjae Kim, Kalidas Ganesh, Joonyoung Paik, In the 53rd Design Automation Conference (DAC), Austin, TX, June, 2016.
- [USENIX FAST'15] LADS: Optimizing Data Transfers using Layout-Aware Data Scheduling, Youngjae Kim, Scott Atchley, Geoffroy R. Valle ́e, Galen M. Shipman, In Proceedings of the USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (USENIX FAST 2015), San Jose, CA, February, 2015. (Acceptance Rate: 28/130 = 21.5%)
- [SC'15] AnalyzeThis: An Analysis Workflow-Aware Storage System, Hyogi Sim, Youngjae Kim, Sudharshan Vazhkudai, Devesh Tiwari, Ali. Anwar, Ali Butt, Lavanya Ramakrishnan, In Proceedings of the 2015 ACM/IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC 2015), Austin, TX, November, 2015. (Acceptance Rate: 79/358 = 22.0%)