- Youngjae Kim is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Sogang University, Seoul Korea. He leads the Laboratory for Advanced System Software (LASS).
- He received his B.S. degree in computer science and engineering from Sogang University (2001), and his M.S. (2003) in computer science from KAIST, and his Ph.D. (2009) in computer science and engineering from The Pennsylvania State University. After his Ph.D., he worked as a full time reserach staff member in US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) from 2009 to 2015. While working at ORNL, he held an adjunct professor position at Georgia Institutue of Technology from 2011 to 2014. Before joning Sogang, he worked as an assistant professor in the department of software and computer engineering at Ajou University, Suwon, Korea from 2015 to 2016.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Sogang University, Seoul, Korea (2016-Present)
- Director of LASS (Laboratory for Advanced System Software - 차세대 시스템 소프트웨어 연구실), Sogang Universityy
- Assistant Professor, Department of Software and Computer Engineering, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea (2015-2016)
- Director of FAST Lab. (Future Systems and Storage Technologies Laboratory), Ajou University
- Research Scientist / Research Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory for US Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN, USA (2009 - 2015)
- Team leader for Non-Volatile Memory File System Team, National Center for Computational Sciences (2014-2015)
- Explored non-volatile memory devices from several perspectives including memory extension, burst buffers, out-of-core data analytics, and fault tolerance for extreme compute and data system
- Research Staff Member -- Level III (2012 - 2015)
- Associate Research Staff Member -- Level II (2009-2011)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2011-2014)
- Researcher, Embedded OS Team, ETRI, Daejeon, Korea (2003-3004)
- Ph.D., Computer Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, December 2009.
- M.S., Computer Science, KAIST, July 2003.
- B.S. (hons.), Computer Science and Engineering, Sogang University, August 2001.
- Research Areas: Operating System, Embedded Systems, High Performance Computing, Cloud Computing
- Interest Areas: File and Storage Systems, Distributed File Systems, End-to-End I/O Optimization, Cache Design and Optimization, Application System-level Profiling, Flash Memory, Capacity Planning for Storage in Data Centers, Computer System Security
- [TPDS'17] Youngjae Kim, Scott Atchley, Geoffroy R. Valle ́e, Matt Lee, Galen M. Shipman, Optimizing End-to-End Big Data Transfers over Terabits Network Infrastructure, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (IEEE TPDS), Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 188-201, January 2017. [IEEE Explore] (Impact Factor: 2.17, According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report)
- [PEVA'16] Seung-Hwan Lim and Youngjae Kim, A Quantitative Model of Application Slow-Down in Multi-Resource Shared Systems, Performance Evaluation (PEVA) (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.peva.2016.10.004 [pdf]
- [USENIX FAST'15] Youngjae Kim, Scott Atchley, Geoffroy R. Valle ́e, Galen M. Shipman,LADS: Optimizing Data Transfers using Layout-Aware Data Scheduling, In Proceedings of the USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (USENIX FAST) (2015), San Jose, CA, February, 2015. (Acceptance Rate: 28/130 = 21.5%) [paper]
- [SC'15] Hyogi Sim, Youngjae Kim, Sudharshan Vazhkudai, Devesh Tiwari, Ali Anwar, Ali Butt, Lavanya Ramakrishnan, AnalyzeThis: An Analysis Workflow-Aware Storage System, In Proceedings of the 2015 ACM/IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC) (2015), Austin, TX, November, 2015. (Acceptance Rate: 79/358 = 22.0%) [paper]
- ACM Professional Membership, IEEE and USENIX membership