Youngjae Kim (김영재), Ph.D.
(Computer Engineering Division)Department of Information and Computer Engineering
College of of Information Technology, Ajou University
Suwon, South Korea
Email: youkim a.t. ajou.ac.kr
(Photo Taken in Spring 2014)
고성능 빅데이터 분석 스토리지 플랫폼 개발 프로젝트에 관심있는 (석,박사)과정 학생을 모집하고 있습니다. 관심있는 학생은 youkim a.t. ajou.ac.kr로 이메일 주시기 바랍니다. (학부)인턴십 과정도 있으니 3,4학년 학부생 중 관심 있는 시스템 소프트웨어 개발에 관심있는 학생은 연락 바랍니다.
I'm actively looking for highly motivated graduate students with strong backgrounds on computer systems, operating systems, distributed systems, and networks. Please freely contact me at youkim a.t. ajou.ac.kr. We also have several openings for undergraduate internship.
Teaching (Fall 2015): Operating Systems (core undergraduate)
Short Bio: Currently I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Ajou University. Before joining the Ajou University, I was a staff scientist at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) for U.S Department of Energy in 2009-2015, where I was a team leader for Non-volatile Memory where we explore non-volatile memory devices from perspective including memory
extension, burst buffer file systems, and out-of-core data analytics for future extreme
compute and data systems. In 2011-2014, I had been affiliated with Georgia Institute of Technology as an adjunct professor in the school of Electrical and Computer Engineering. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering from The Pennsylvania State University in 2009.
Research Interest: I'm generally interested in areas such as computer systems, operating systems, distributed systems, parallel systems, file and storage systems, and data analytic systems.
- Specifically, my recent work is pursued for research on computing systems with an emphasis on file and storage systems for systems' performance, high reliability, and availability.
- In addition, my work is focused for distributed systems environment, data center, high performance computing environment.
- Recently I'm interested in Android mobile platform for system software stack design and implementation.
- Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA, 2009
- KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, 2003
- Sogang University, Seoul, Korea, 2001
- B.E (hons.) in Computer Science
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory for US Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN, USA (2009-2015)
- (2014-2015) Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Team Leader
- (2012-2015) Level 3 - R&D Staff Member
- (2009-2011) Level 2 - R&D Associate Staff Member
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA (2011-2014)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ETRI, Daejeon, South Korea (2003-2004)
- Research Engineer, Embedded OS Team, Embedded Software Center
Recent Selected papers authored or coauthored (Full List of Publications)
- [SC’15] AnalyzeThis: An Analysis Workflow-Aware Storage System New!
- [FAST’15] LADS: Optimizing Data Transfers using Layout-Aware Data Scheduling (pdf)
- [CAL’15] Synchronous I/O Scheduling of Independent Write Caches for an Array of SSDs (pdf)
- [SC’14] Best Practices and Lessons Learned from Deploying and Operating Large-Scale Data-Centric Parallel File systems (pdf)
- [TC’14] Coordinating Garbage Collection for Arrays of Solid-state Drives (pdf)
- [FAST’13] Active Flash: Towards Energy-Efficient, In-Situ Data Analytics on Extreme-Scale Machines (pdf)
- [SIGMETRICS’12] D-Factor: A Quantitative Model of Application Slow-Down in Shared Service Systems with Multiple Resources (pdf) (slides)