Faculty of Engineering, Information and Systems, University of Tsukuba
Building F, room 934 (on the 9th floor)
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305-8573, JAPAN
akimoto [at] cs [dot] tsukuba [dot] ac [dot] jp
My main research field is black-box optimization, especially in continuous domain. I am interested in stochastic search algorithms such as covariance matrix adaptation evolution strategies (CMA-ES), a probabilistic model based derivative free optimizer. I work on theoretical analysis of stochastic search algorithms and also on design principle for efficient algorithms in practice, and on real-world applications.
I entered Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo Japan, in April 2004 and received my bachelor's degree in computer science in March 2007. I went on to the interdisciplinary graduate school of science and engineering at Tokyo Institute of Technology, Kanagawa Japan, in April 2007. I received my master's degree and doctor's degree in Computational Intelligence and Systems Science respectively in March 2008 and March 2011, from Tokyo Institute of Technology under supervision of Prof. Shigenobu Kobayashi. I was also a research fellow (DC2) of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) from April 2010 to March 2011. In April, 2011, I moved in Paris where I was working for two years as a post-doctral researcher at INRIA Saclay in the TAO project under the supervision of Dr. Anne Auger. Then, I was working as an assistant prof. at Faculty of Engineering, Shinshu Univ., from April 2013 to March 2018. From April 2018, I am working as an associate professor at Faculty of Engineering, Information and Systems, University of Tsukuba. I am also a member of Center for AI Research, University of Tsukuba.
- 2018 Jul. Best Paper Award, GECCO 2018
- 2017 Dec. Best Reviewer Award, NIPS 2017
- 2017 Nov. (to a collaborated paper) TBA, SCICE SSI 2017
- 2016 Dec. (to a collaborated paper) Young Researcher Award, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Japan Chapter
- 2016 Sep. Best Presentation Nomination, PPSN 2016
- 2014 Dec. (to a collaborated paper) Young Researcher Award, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Japan Chapter
- 2014 Dec. (to a collaborated paper) Best Poster Award, Japanese Symposium on Evolutionary Computation 2010
- 2014 Nov. Best Paper Award, SICE SSI 2014
- 2010 Dec. Young Researcher Award, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Japan Chapter
- 2010 Dec. Best Presentation Award, Japanese Symposium on Evolutionary Computation 2010
- 2010 Sep. Best Presentation Award, FAN Symposium 2010
- 2010 Jun. JSAI Incentive Award, Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence (SIG-ECF)
- 2009 Dec. Best Presentation Award, Japanese Symposium on Evolutionary Computation 2009
- 2008 Jul. Best Presentation Nomination, GECCO 2008 ESEP Track
- PC for ICML (2018)
- PC for FOGA (2015, 2017)
- PC for GECCO (2011-2018), (Chair for CO track (2015, 2016))
- PC for PPSN (2012-2018, every two years)
- PC for CEC (2013-2017)
- PC for NIPS (2016-2018)
- PC for AISTATS (2017-2019)
- PC for ECAL (2013)
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics - Part B. From 2010.
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. From 2010
- Reviewer for Evolutionary Computation Journal.