Trefeglwys

 

Minister:

Rev Bob Thomas.

Sunday Service Time:

10.00am

Alternate Sundays @ Llawr Y Glyn

Click to see Quarterly Preaching PLAN

Trefeglwys Church:
Trefeglwys,
Caersws,
Powys,
SY17 5PU.

 

Grid Ref.
SN 970907

For a map of where the Church is, Click here


 


Part of a Harvest Festival scene

Flowers adorn the Chapel

 The first Wesleyan church to be built in the village of Trefeglwys was in 1808 but was re-erectedand opened in 1872. The majority of members at that time were Welsh speaking, and it was a member of the Llanidloes Circuit in those days.

 

‘Zoar” celebrated its centenary in 1972, when our minister was the Reverend Wallace Edwards, it was a great afternoon and evening, with a tea provided by the ladies. All who attended had a memorable time.

 

There are very few members with us today that remember those pre-1972 years, when there were three services on a Sunday. We are now down to one when on alternate Sundays we join with Llawryglyn church. Uniting in this way has helped us to survive.

 

In the year 2000 a new school (the first to be opened in Wales in the new millennium) and a magnificent Memorial Hall were opened in the village. It was a great event coinciding with community celebrations.

 

The service of Remembrance is held every year at this Church, after which the community and its organisations place  commemorative wreaths at the Memorial Hall Tablet. This is a very well attended event, followed by refreshments. An opportunity for everyone to converse and share memories.

New houses are earmarked for the village, but the financial restrictions of recent years has prevented this happening. We therefore continue to struggle with membership numbers. Our mission as members is to continue to provide worship and witness for Methodism in the community. There is a warm and friendly welcome to all. Our Sunday morning services are followed by tea/coffee, an opportunity to chat and catch up with local events. We feel that coming together in this way encourages new people to the community to join us and share in our worship.

A framed tapestry of the praying hands, was presented to the Chapel members by
Mrs Eleri Wyn Williams, daughter of the late Reverend Emrys Wyn Evans, at a service on the 3rd of October 2013, as a lasting memorial of a much loved and respected person, not only of the Chapel, but by the whole community.

It celebrates his 40 years as a minister and recognises his time as a prisoner of war in Stalag 4B Mulbergen Elbe. He served God for 65 years and was laid to rest at Gleiniant Cemetery in Trefeglwys with his beloved wife Gwen. It now has pride of place on the right hand side wall as entering the Chapel.

 

Alun Bunford







Forthcoming events:


Harvest Festival on Thursday 5th October (7.00pm), service to be taken by Mrs Jenny Thomas.

Coffee Morning on Saturday, 11th November, 10am to 12  and an opportunity to drop off Christmas Shoeboxes for Samaritans’ Purse.