Professor of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
He received his Bachelor's degree in Pure and Applied Mathematics and Master of Mathematics degree from UNESP - São Paulo State University in 2008 and 2010. During 2010-2014, he pursued his Ph.D. in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics at ICMC USP - University of São Paulo (advisiors: Luis Gustavo Nonato and Gabriel Taubin). As part of his doctoral studies, he worked as visiting researcher at Brown University and MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From 2015 to 2016, he conducted researches as a postdoctoral scholar at the Visual and Geometry Processing Group (USP/ICMC, Brazil). His Ph.D. work has been awarded and recognized by several scientific organizations such as CLEI (Latin American Informatics and Computer Science Society), SBC (Brazilian Computer Society), SBMAC (Brazilian Society of Computational and Applied Mathematics) and CAPES (Federal Agency for Support Graduate Education). He participated in more than 80 scientific conferences and he has served as an invited reviewer and a technical member of various international conferences and high-profile journals including IEEE TPAMI, IEEE TIP, IEEE TCSVT, Elsevier CAMWA, etc. He was also invited to join interdisciplinary scientific committees as the Annual Academic Reputation Survey (The Times Higher Education - World University Ranking, organized by Thomson Reuters), Brazilian Applied Mathematics committee, IEEE Societies, among others. He is presently working as a full professor of Computer Science at UNESP - São Paulo State University and UNIVESP - Universidade Virtual do Estado de São Paulo. He is also a member of the Mathematics and Computer Science Graduate Program (Master and Doctoral Advisor) at FCT UNESP - Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, and a research associate at the CEPID/FAPESP ICMC/USP CeMEAI - Center for Research in Mathematical Sciences Applied to Industry. His research interests include data clustering, computer vision applications, computational intelligence, computational geometry, graphics, visualization, optimization, pattern recognition, partial differential equations and numerial methods.
- E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Address: UNESP, Department of Energy Engineering, Av. dos Barrageiros, 1881, Rosana SP, Brazil
- Visualization, Image and Smart Energy Research Group: VISER
Honors and Awards
- 2017: 3rd Place - Best Paper Award Competition in Pecora 20 - Observing a changing Earth (organized by JPL NASA and ARS).
- 2016: PhD thesis awarded (1st Place) in "USP Outstanding Thesis Award (Prêmio USP Tese Destaque)" (Prize: $3.000 USD).
- 2016: PhD thesis awarded (1st Place) in "Prêmio SBMAC de Teses "Odelar Leite Linhares" (XXXVI CNMAC)", Gramado, Brazil, Set/2016.
- 2015: PhD thesis awarded (Honorable mention): Prêmio CAPES de Tese 2015, Brasília, Brasil, Dec/2015.
- 2015: PhD thesis awarded (1st Place) in "Concurso Latinoamericano de Tesis de Doctorado (CLEI )", Arequipa Peru, Oct/2015 (Prize: $1.500 USD).
- 2015: Best PhD thesis in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, University of São Paulo, ICMC, São Carlos, Brazil.
- 2015: Biography published in "32nd Marquis Who's Who in this World" -- biography source covering notable people throughout the world.
- 2014: Invited Chair: Annual Academic Reputation Survey "The World University Rankings", organized by Thomson Reuters.
- 2014: Special TV report - Rede Globo - about the work "Laplacian Coordinates for Seeded Image Segmentation, IEEE CVPR 2014".
- 2014: Highlights on TV channels, newspapers, and internet (usp.br, Agência FAPESP, Portal K3, G1 Globo, Guia Ciências, aulp.org, Voxquo Lisboa).
- 2013: Best Paper Award in Graphics and Visualization for the paper "Mixed integer optimization for layout arrangement", 26th SIBGRAPI.
- 2011: Best Paper Award in Computer Vision for the work "Spectral segmentation using cartoon-texture decomp. and inner product-based metric", 24th SIBGRAPI.
News / Notícias
- 2019 - Agência USP de Inovação - Ferramenta matemática ajuda a diagnosticar doenças oculares: Link
- 2019 - Rede Globo (São Carlos) - Mais de 100 alunos e professores resolvem problemas reais da industriais: Link
- 2018 - CeMEAI CEPID - IV Workshop de Soluções Matemáticas para Problemas Industriais - LNLS Sirius: Link
- 2018 - CeMEAI CEPID - Pesquisador do CeMEAI é empossado presidente do CNPq: Link
- 2017 - Ciência USP - Matemática sofisticada agiliza processamento de imagens: Link
- 2016 - Jornal da USP - Ferramenta para segmentação de imagens é primeiro lugar no Prêmio Tese Destaque USP: Link
- 2016 - Reportagem veiculada pela Rede Globo (Prudente) - Pesquisador da UNESP de Rosana ganha prêmio em concurso: Link
- 2016 - Reitoria UNESP - Ferramenta colore imagens de forma prática e eficiente: Link
- 2016 - USP Inovação - Tese do ICMC é premiada pela Sociedade Brasileira de Matemática Aplicada e Computacional: Link
- 2016 - Journal USP - Prêmio Tese Destaque USP divulga os vencedores: Link
- 2016 - CeMEAI CEPID - Tese sobre segmentação e edição de imagens é premiada pela SBMAC: Link
- 2016 - Invited to join the technical program committee of 42th Latim America Computing Conference, to be held in Valparaíso, Chile.
- 2016 - Invited to join the technical program committee of XXIX SIBGRAPI, to be held in São José do Campos, Brazil.
- 2015 - Agência FAPESP - Pesquisadores desenvolvem técnica inovadora de segmentação de imagem digital: Link
- 2015 - CeMEAI CEPID - Pesquisador do CeMEAI desenvolve software inovador na área de edição de imagens: Link
- 2015 - Portal USP de Notícias - Trabalho que cria ferramenta inovadora para segmentação de imagem já ganhou duas premiações: Link
- 2015 - Accepted paper: "Gomez-Nieto et al. Dealing with Multiple Requeriments in Geometric Arrangements", IEEE TVCG.
- 2015 - Accepted paper: "Gomez-Nieto et al., "Understanding Large Legal Datasets through Visual Analytics", SIBGRAPI WVis.
- 2015 - Accepted paper: "Casaca et al., A User-Friendly Interactive Image Inpainting Framework using Laplacian Coordinates", IEEE ICIP.
- 2015 - Accepted paper: "Casaca et al. Interactive Image Colorization using Laplacian Coordinates", CAIP Springer.
- 2015 - Prototype of our visualization tool for data mining selected by Java 2015 IEEE Projects.
- 2014 - Video ilustrativo: restauração e remoção de objetos em fotografias.
- 2014 - How our image inpainting framework works (see paper): Link
- 2014 - IEEE Project of our tool presented at Real Time Live IEEE Project.
- 2014 - 30 second video presentation of our IEEE TVCG paper at IEEE VIS 2014: Link
- 2014 - Reportagem veiculada pela Rede Globo: Link
- 2014 - Matéria veiculada no site da USP: Link
- 2014 - Video sobre segmentação via Coordenadas de Laplace: Link