Village Playwrights Productions
The Village Playwrights announce a call for submissions for QUEERLY BELOVED staged readings of 10 minute plays to celebrate Valentine's Day on February 22, 2017 from 8 to 10 pm at the LGBT Community Center.
- Playwrights must be from Metro New York area
- Plays must be under 10 minutes.
- Plays must have a LGBTQ and romance/relationship theme
- Plays are to be read script in hand, minimally staged with no props; actors must stand
- You must produce the reading of your own play including casting and a minimum of 2 hours rehearsal .
- Deadline Friday, January 13, 2017, 5 pm.
- No fee to submit
- send your play as an attachment to email@example.com
- your name and contact information should be in the body of the email but not on the script.
- put the name of your script on the subject line
For more information call 614-285-2515.
Guidelines for writing a good short play:
- Engage your audience quickly by getting to the conflict immediately.
- Surprise the audience; don't rely on cliches.
- Make the audience laugh or become emotional.
- Create vivid characters. Give them names. Naming your characters "Man" and "Woman" usually means your characters are not fully developed.
- Show, don't tell.
- Be original.
- Limit your play to 3-4 characters.
- The situation should be compelling.
- Communicate non-verbally.
- Make use of the space and props.
- Don't be afraid to be shocking.