Welcome to my homepage! My name is Tam Nguyen. Currently I am an Assistant Professor at Department of Computer Science, University of Dayton. Prior to that, I was a research scientist and principal investigator at ARTIC research centre in Singapore. I was also a lecturer (adjunct) in National University of Singapore. I am an IEEE Senior Member.
I received PhD degree in National University of Singapore (NUS) under the guidance of Prof. Shuicheng Yan in 2013. Prior to joining NUS, I obtained my B.S. degree from HCMUS in 2005, majoring in Computer Science and M. Eng degree from Chonnam National University, Korea in 2009, respectively. I graduated with first ranking in terms of GPA in both bachelor and master's study. I have finished my PhD in 2½ years.
I have 10+ years of working experience in both research and industrial sectors. My research topics include computer vision, applied machine learning, multimedia content analysis, and mixed reality. I have authored and co-authored 40+ research papers with 500+ citations (from Google Scholar).
I am the recipient of numerous awards including Young Vietnamese of the year 2005, the 2nd prize winner of ICPR 2012 contest on action recognition, the best technical demonstration from ACM Multimedia 2012, the best student paper award at NUS-GSS 2013, and Singapore Polytechnic R&D commendation award 2015.
- One paper about action recognition is accepted to Neurocomputing (Apr 2017)
- Congratulate to Joshua Buck (my co-supervised student with Prof. Saverio Perugini), has won the ACM student research contest (SRC) (Mar 2017)
- I serve as a judge and organizer in the first University of Dayton Hackathon (Feb 2017)
- One paper about extreme learning machine is accepted to Neurocomputing (Feb 2017)
- Achievement: 500+ citations according to Google Scholar (Jan 2017)
- I have been elevated to IEEE Senior Member (Nov 2016)
- One paper about extreme learning machine is accepted to ELM 2016 (Sep 2016)
- One paper about scene understanding is accepted to ICARCV 2016 (Aug 2016)
- I join University of Dayton as an Assistant Professor (Aug 2016)
- One paper about augmented reality is accepted to ACM Multimedia 2016 (Jul 2016)
- One article about saliency fusion is accepted to Multimedia Tools and Applications (May 2016)
- Another project is funded by Singapore Ministry of Education. We are recruiting (Apr 2016)
- One article about immersive media experiences is accepted to Multimedia Tools and Applications (Mar 2016)
- One paper is accepted to AAAI FLAIRS 2016 (Jan 2016)
- Achievement: 300+ citations according to Google Scholar (Dec 2015)
- Give presentation in ACM MM 2015 (Oct - Nov 2015)
- I receive R&D commendation award in Singapore Polytechnic (Oct 2015). [Video link]
- One paper (oral) is accepted to ISM 2015 (Sep 2015)
- One paper is accepted to ACM Multimedia 2015 (Jul 2015)
- More ...
- Email: vantam (at) gmail.com