**Warning** Not for the faint in heart, high cholesterol-ers, vegans, vegetarians and health freaks. If you do not fall in any of the categories, then proceed reading. **
Mmmm, fried chicken. How can you not love fried chicken? Crunchy on the outside, juicy tender in the inside. I'm especially fond of dark meat, more specifically the thighs. Not a big fan of drum sticks. Chicken wings are best served, in my opinion, buffalo wing style. This recipe is inspired by Paula Deen's Southern Fried Chicken recipe. I tweaked it a little to incorporate spices and reduce the cooking time by deboning. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Simple Homemade Fried Chicken RecipeIngredients:
6 boneless chicken thighs- fat trimmed, 1.5 cups self rising flour, 2 eggs, 1.5 tsp pepper, 0.5 tsp paprika, 1/3 cup water, 0.5 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Frank's Red Hot sauce, 2 squirts Sriracha sauce, 2 tsps salt and oil for frying
1. In a bowl, beat eggs and water. Add Sriracha and hot sauces and mix
2. In a large zip-lock plastic bag, mix flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and paprika
3. Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder
4. Dip chicken in egg mixture. Then place a piece in the zip-lock bag and close the bag securely. Coat the chicken well in the flour mixture. Remove it to a dry plate and repeat with the rest of the chicken
5. Fill wok with oil about half way through. Heat oil to 350F over medium heat
6. Add chicken pieces in the wok. Do not crowd the wok. Fry the chicken for 8 mins and then flip the chicken with a kitchen spider. Cook for another 5 mins or until chicken is golden brown
7. Remove chicken onto paper towels. The towels will absorb any excess oil
8. Serve fried chicken with your fav sides!
You can make your own self rising flour. For every cup of all purpose flour, mix in 1.5 tsp of baking powder and some salt.
To avoid being splattered by oil, invest in a splatter guard and kitchen spider.
You can substitute hot sauces with your fav hot sauce.
My chicken nuggets recipe is made with skinless chicken breast and Panko bread crumbs. Panko has an airier texture, thus making the breading crispier. It is healthier because it absorbs less oil.
Chicken Nuggets with Panko Bread Crumbs Recipe
1 skinless chicken breast, 1 large egg, 1 tbs milk, 0.75 cup Panko bread crumbs, 1/3 cup flour and 1 dash of hot sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Cut chicken breast into 1 inch cubes
2. In a medium bowl, beat egg till frothy. Mix in milk and hot sauce
3. In a medium bowl, blend flour, 0.25 cup of Panko bread crumbs, salt and pepper
4. Place the rest of the bread crumbs onto a flat plate
5. In a wok, heat oil until 350F or oil is blubbly around tip of dipped skewer. Lower heat to LOW
6. Dust chicken pieces with flour mixture. Then, coat with egg mixture. Toss in Panko bread crumbs before adding them in the wok. Do not crowd the wok else the chicken pieces would stick together
7. Cook each side of the pieces for 2 mins or until the surface is browned. Flip the pieces and cook the pieces until the other surface is browned
8. Remove the nuggets and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil
9. Serve with your fav dipping sauce
Tip: Reheat chicken nuggets in a 350F oven until thoroughly heated
Chicken nuggets with Panko bread crumbs