Heiva I Oʻahu 2019
Ori Tahiti Regulations
- Each solo participant must fill out an Ori Tahiti application form, a Hold Harmless form & submit payment to be a qualified solo entrant
- Free admission to the event is included in the solo application fee of $45.00. Late registration on day of event fee will be $55.
- ALL Online & Paper Solo Applications must be received by May 30, 2019
HEIVA I O’AHU 2019
JUNE 1, 2019 - KANEʻOHE, OʻAHU
ORI TAHITI – Solo Dance Competition Regulations
- Ori Tahiti is open to any Pupu Ori, Halau, Group, or Independent Dance
- Each solo applicant must fill out a contestant application, hold harmless agreement & pay the entry fee to be considered a “fully registered contestant”
- Free admission for each contestant is included in the solo entry fee
- ALL Online applications must be submitted by: MAY 30, 2019
- ALL Paper applications must be received by: May 30, 2019
SOLO AGE CATEGORIES
Tamari’i Division & Taure’are’a Division
4 and under (exhibition) 13 – 15 years
5 – 8 years 16 – 18 years
9 – 12 years
Ta’ata Pa’ari Division
19 – 24 years 35 – 49 years
25 – 34 years 50 + years
PROCESS OF ELIMINATION
The elimiation process will consist of 1st & 2nd rounds, & a finals round.
- The 1st round will be done in groups of 4-5 dancers
- The 2nd round will be done in groups of 3-4 dancers
- Finals will be done with 2 dancers at a time
- All 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will receive awards/prizes
- All 1st place winners from age categories 5-12 will compete for the Overall Tamahine and Tamaroa award.
- All 1st place winners from age categories 13- 50+ will compete for the Overall Vahine and Tane award.
VAHINE – are required to wear a pareo with a side tie, no rolling. No hip or hand adornments, no plastic. Fresh flowers, leaves, shells, feathers, etc, should compliment your costume. Length of pareo should be no shorter than 2 inches from the top of the knee.
TANE – are required to wear a “tihere or maro” style of pareo, with complimentary adornments. No hip, hand adornments, no plastic. Knee leggings are allowed but should not be too thick.
Vahine- vahine can wear any fabric pareo, must be worn flat, with no rolls and tied on the side. You will only be able to wear a single flower (may be artificial) in your hair along with a neck piece. No hand or arm accessories.
TANE- Tane will only be allowed to wear Tihere style pareo. Tane will have the option to wear a single flower (may be artificial) in their hair or choose not to wear anything in their hair. Neck pieces can be worn. NO LEG OR ARM accessories.
DRUMMING & TIMES
Each participant will dance for 1 ½ - 2 minutes. Te Vai Ura Nui house drummers will provide a variety of beats appropriate for the different age divisions.