WHERE ARE THEY NOW???

While searching for information about historic tile installations, we sometimes discover minimal information about other installations, but are unable to increase our knowledge beyond this point. This page will illustrate tile installations that we know once existed, and which may or may not still exist. If you, the reader, knows anything more about any of the installations listed below, please contact Michael Padwee at tileback101'at'collector.org. Thank you.

(From The Mantel, Tile and Grate Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 4, Oct. 1909)


The Trent Tile Company, Trenton, NJ:
The Bronx Theater, Bronx, NY
The Trenton Evening Times of September 7, 1909 ("Trenton Advances Ceramic Interests to Extent Never Before Approached in U.S.", p. 1) reports on three projects of the Trent Tile Company. The article states, "[Following]...a lengthy series of experiments...[,the Trent Tile Company]...has completed one of the first orders in the country for tile in red crystal glazes. ...In the Bronx Theatre the panels [of tiles] of red crystal glazes are to supplant the imported tapestries formerly employed almost exclusively in decorating theatre foyers. The glazes will be fancifully set off with narrow rims of buff and a margin of tile... . The panels in crystal will be three by six feet." 

Dye (or more probably 'Dey') Street Restaurant Installation
Also the same article mentions a Manhattan restaurant interior, which was most likely destroyed when the first World Trade Center was built. The "Dye [Dey] Street Restaurant" stood opposite the "new" Hudson Terminal Building. "The dining room...is decorated with wainscotting of tile six feet from the floor. It is all colored in buff, matt glaze, and painted in pinks and greens, harmonizing...with the floor design, also of tile. The general style of the decorations here, including the walls and panel effects, is all l'art nouveau... ."



The Harrisburg, PA YMCA Swimming Pool
A number of books from the early and mid-1900s have photos of tile installations that seem to have disappeared over the years. The photo below is from Helen E. Stiles' Pottery in the United States (E. P. Dutton & Co., New York, NY, 1941, photographs by Marion Downer). The tiles for this swimming pool were made by the Mueller Mosaic Tile Co. of Trenton, NJ. This is the only information and/or photo I have been able to locate for this installation.
















(From The Mantel, Tile and Grate Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 9, May 1910)
A tiled mosaic building facade in Jeffersonville, IN. (An article in the August 1910 issue of Cement Age identifies this building more accurately than the article above, and an article at http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1n3lz/GamingGuide031210/resources/5.htm states that Antz's Cafe was an unlicensed gambling casino in the 1930s-40s.) The tiles may have been supplied by the Mueller-Mosaic Tile Company of Trenton, NJ.

(From The Mantel, Tile and Grate Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 9, May 1910)
The corner of E. Walnut and So. Second Streets in Louisville, KY, where this building is purported to have been built, is currently at the intersection of a raised highway. The address of this building was possibly 437 So. 2nd Street. According to a Cement Age article (August 1910, p. 109) the decorated concrete surface of this building was called the "Murosa" process, named after the originator, Mr. Romana Rosa of Louisville.

Although technically not a U.S. tile installation, the following article in the December 1909 Mantel, Tile and Grate Monthly (Vol. 4, No. 6) discusses a proposed tile installation to be made by the Trent Tile Company for the palace of Viscount Kagawa in Japan. Was it ever made? If so, does it still exist, and what does/did it look like?
Another article in the Clay Record, Vol. XXXVI, No. 3, February 14, 1910, p. 33, also comments on this tile order: