While you are in the area, try the following restaurants… some are fun and quirky, some are just excellent places to eat:
- $$ Iron Tree Comfort Food and Bakery – Breakfast and lunch, with dinner pizzas on Friday nights. At the intersection of HWY 24 and Teller 1 & 3 in Florissant, (719) 684-4937
- $ Russ's Place (12 miles) Want something casual and yummy? Try Russ's Place in Divide. Bar food, with an extra special touch, in a family friendly atmosphere be sure to find time to stop by and experience the local's favorite. Try the black bean burger and the homemade slaw!
- $$ The Southern Lilly, a family-owned and operated restaurant, serving up Southern comfort food in an elegant, but comfortable and friendly environment. 727 Gold Hill Place, Woodland Park, CO 80863, 719-896-1053
- $$ Costello Street Coffee House – serves fantastic breakfast and sandwich lunches, at the intersection of HWY24 and Teller 1 (719)748-3567
- $$ (12 miles) Mc Ginty’s Wood Oven Pub in Divide- Irish themed with delicious modern twist to familiar standards. 11115 Hwy 24, Divide, CO 80814, (719) 686-7703
- $$$ (32 miles) The Steakhouse at Bronco Billy’s Casino in Cripple Creek- 233 East Bennett Ave., 719-689-2909 Great steak dinners. Reservations are strongly recommended, and are taken up to three months in advance. The Steakhouse has been lauded as one of the best steakhouses in Southern Colorado, and is truly a hidden gem.
Don’t miss Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument (5 miles). It's a fun and educational gem located just a few miles from Tihsreed. At FFB you will see a short film before enjoying an interpretative talk from a ranger, see petrified tree remains and other fossils, walk the 14 miles of trails, picnic at one of three grilling sites, or participate in one of the frequent special events held at the park.
Adeline Hornbek Homestead (5 miles). Be inspired by the tale of this courageous woman who helped settle the west. Widowed in 1864 with three small children to care for, she took on the challenge of creating a home and ranch for her family as a single mother. Visit her homestead and learn more about this spunky, savvy and hard scrabble lady of the west.
US Air Force Academy (42 miles). The 31,600-square-foot building contains exhibits, a snack bar and a gift shop. A one-third-mile paved nature trail east of the facility allows visitors to walk to the Cadet Chapel. *Note the paved nature trail is a very strenuous walk with a variety of hills. A 14-minute movie highlighting the academy experience is shown throughout the day in the 250-seat theater. The exhibit area features displays on history and cadet life with specially designed exhibits to explain the academy's four “pillars of excellence.” These refer to the four areas of the cadet training program: character development, academic, athletic, and military training.
Canon City (52 miles). The Royal Gorge Bridge, owned by the City, is one of the major attractions located near Cañon City. This, along with other nearby natural attractions such as the Arkansas River, the National Forest, and the beauty of the surrounding land, draws numerous tourists to the area year round
Buena Vista (60 miles). Carriage Rides, Horseback Riding,Hot Air Ballooning, Hot Springs, Kayaking, Bike Rental, Carriage rental, Golf, Hunting, Rafting, Rental Companies, Skiing ,Tour Companies Rockhounding, Gold Prospect. Sight seers won’t want to miss The Maxwell Park Schoolhouse. Serving as a one-room school from 1889 to 1933, it is located on Chaffee County Road 321 southwest of Buena Vista.
Breckenridge (85 miles). Breckenridge is home to countless adventures and alpine activities making it a favorite tourist destination both winter and summer. At the base of Peak 8 at Breckenridge resort lies the new Summer Fun Park featuring activities for all ages including the Alpine SuperSlides, mountain biking, the SuperPutt mini golf, a climbing wall, Sky Fly trampoline, Spin Cycle, Bounce House, gem stone panning, and Colorado’s largest human maze.
Lake George (9 miles). Lake George, and the small town that shares its name, will charm those who love to fish and those who do not. Come to here fish the South Platte River. Non anglers will find wildlife, hiking and beautiful scenery.
Garden of the Gods Park (35 miles).Garden of the Gods Park is a registered National Natural Landmark. Imagine dramatic views, 300' towering sandstone rock formations against a backdrop of snow-capped Pikes Peak and brilliant blue skies. Delight in one of Colorado's most photographed views.
Colorado Springs (37 miles). You’ll find no shortage of things to do in Colorado Springs, where the adventures range from mild to wild! Colorado Springs boasts more than 50 major area attractions, including historic railroads, local museums, and family friendly activities and attractions, too. Explore the vast caverns of the Cave of the Winds, Olympic Training Center, and the world-class Western stage show at the Flying W Ranch. Local museums in the Colorado Springs area include Pioneers Museum, Outlaws and Lawmen Jail Museum, and Western Museum of Mining and Industry or ascend Pikes Peak on the historic railway.
Shining Mountain Golf Club The Course is 6,464 yards from the championship tees with a par of 70. The course rating is 71.6 and has a slope rating of 136 on Blue Grass. The seasons here are mild and the views spectacular, which makes this a must play for your golfing pleasure.