Tarek R. Besold, PhD
ABOUT: I am the acting Chief Behavioural Officer (CBO) of Alpha Health, Telefonica Innovation Alpha's health tech Moonshot, as well as the scientific advisor of neurocat, a Berlin-based AI safety start-up. I also serve as the chairman of the German Institute for Standardisation (DIN) NIA Working Committee on Artificial Intelligence (NA 042-01-42).
Previously I was a Lecturer (i.e., Assistant Professor) in Data Science at City, University of London (UK), a postdoctoral researcher at the Digital Media Lab of the University of Bremen (Germany), and a member of the KRDB Research Centre at the Faculty of Computer Science of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (South Tyrol, Italy).
From January until June 2014 I also had been an academic visitor at the Centre for Intelligent Systems and their Applications (CISA) within the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh (Scotland, UK).
Finally, I was one of the people involved in the EU-funded Concept Invention Theory (COINVENT) Project.
CONTACT: If you want to get in touch with me, sending an email to FirstName.LastName(guesswhat)gmail.com (never mind the middle initial) usually works fairly well. Alternatively, try my LinkedIn profile.
RESEARCH: My main fields of academic interest are:
- Analogies & non-standard forms of reasoning (which also was the main topic of my PhD).
- Symbolic models of cognition and intelligence in AI.
- Neural-symbolic integration.
- Human-Level Artificial Intelligence.
- Comprehensibility and Explanation in AI and Machine Learning.
- Computational Creativity.
MISC: A few other things:
- A (more or less up-to-date) list of my publications can be found here,...
- ...information concerning my teaching activity is available here,...
- ...and some information concerning other activities is listed here.
- ...oh, and finally there is an AI blog I sporadically add to on the SciLogs (currently only in German): Analogia