Tarek R. Besold, PhD
I am a Lecturer (i.e., Assistant Professor) in Data Science at City, University of London (UK), and also serve as the chairman of the German Institute for Standardisation (DIN) NIA Working Committee on Artificial Intelligence (NA 042-01-42).
Before my current academic appointment at City, I was a postdoctoral researcher at the Digital Media Lab of the University of Bremen (Germany), and a member of the KRDB Research Centre at the Faculty of Computer Science of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (South Tyrol, Italy).
From January until June 2014 I also had been an academic visitor at the Centre for Intelligent Systems and their Applications (CISA) within the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh (Scotland, UK).
Finally, I was one of the people involved in the EU-funded Concept Invention Theory (COINVENT) Project.
My main fields of academic interest are:
- Analogies & non-standard forms of reasoning (which also was the main topic of my PhD).
- Symbolic models of cognition and intelligence in AI.
- Neural-symbolic integration.
- Human-Level Artificial Intelligence.
- Comprehensibility and Explanation in AI and Machine Learning.
- Computational Creativity.
A few other things:
- A (more or less up-to-date) list of my publications can be found here,...
- ...information concerning my teaching activity is available here,...
- ...and some information concerning other activities is listed here.
- ...oh, and finally there is an AI blog I sporadically add to on the SciLogs (currently only in German): Analogia