Welcome to the website of St David's Diocesan Guild of Bellringers
Notice of the next Quarterly Meeting
Saturday 14th December
Llanelli (8) 2.00 - 3.55
Followed by tea and the quarterly meeting.
Names for tea to the guild secretary
2019 sees continuing change for our Diocese which encompasses the geographically large county areas of Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, The Guild and its members work closely with the Diocese, parishes and churches to keep the centuries-old tradition of change ringing alive.
New ringers are always very welcome, and we give a warm welcome to visiting ringers and Guild members past and present at our monthly practices, Sunday service and evening practice ringing.
The St David's Guild was formed as the Second World War ended on 29th September 1945. Before then many ringers attended meetings within the Swansea & Brecon Guild or the West Wales Association. With just 9 ringable towers the Guild got off to a flying start with a quarter peal at St David's Cathedral the day after formation and a peal just two months later at Tenby. Even with the remoteness of many towers and with limited transportation in the late 1940's and 1950's the Guild flourished and by 1964 ringable towers had risen to 13.
Now, over 50 years since its formation, there are 25 towers with bells hung for full circle ringing of which just 8 are unringable for various reasons. The Guild is determined to maintain our tradition within South West Wales and believe, as the secretary said at the time of its Silver Jubilee in 1970:
'The Guild's aim must be to keep all our bells ringing regularly for Sunday services.....................................' - John Prytherch
© 2019 St David's Diocesan Guild of Bellringers