National Kappa Kappa Iota
A Walk Through Our History
On December 6, 1921, a group of public school teachers and college professors gathered in Stillwater, Oklahoma to share teaching ideas, to socialize and to simply have fun. Among them were Mary Brogden and Mable Caldwell, two educators at Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State University), who played a significant role in the founding of the sorority. This women's group organized the Order of the Blue Blue Violet.
They obtained a state charter in Oklahoma on January 10, 1922. At the annual meeting on February 6, 1931, the name was changed to Kappa Kappa Iota. In April 1949, Kappa Kappa Iota was nationalized. The violet was chosen as the flower. The blue-violet of the violet and the yellow-gold were selected as the sorority colors.
This corporation was formed to promote good fellowship and fraternal cooperation; to oppose all forces which do not tend toward the improvement of public schools; to issue charters signifying membership to local chapters; and to receive fees to provide scholarship funds for deserving education majors.
Kappa Kappa Iota has the distinction of being one of the oldest organizations for educators in the United States and is now a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Kappa Kappa Iota Membership
Membership in Kappa Kappa Iota is considered an honor. A member from the local, state or national level invites prospective members into membership. Membership dues are sent to the state treasurer each fiscal year by the 15th of April.
Membership in Kappa Kappa Iota shall be extended to persons of good character who are recognized leaders in the profession of education. Professional members include educators and former educators. The term educators shall mean any person devoting a major part of time to teaching or allied work. Campus membership is extended to full time education majors.