History of Our Church
The Reformed Church of Oamaru began in 1962 as a home fellowship of two families committed to the Reformed Faith. Then on Sunday, 23 August 1964, the first public worship service was held with 15 people from Oamaru in attendance. This group was under the care of the Reformed Church of Dunedin.
By 1968 there were ten families gathering regularly for worship each Lord's Day. Having met in the church building of the Seventh Day Adventist church for some years, they were able to purchase the present Oamaru Stone building, built in 1910 for the Church of Christ, from the Oamaru Union church.
Having increased in numbers during the 70s a home missionary worked full time for several years in the late 80s. But during this time the congregation lost several key members who passed away and some who shifted to other locations. Nevertheless by God's grace the congregation continued regularly to worship and serve the Lord.
Recently, a renewed desire and an increase in numbers has given a stimulus to calling a full-time minister. Rev. Bruce Hoyt began his ministry in January 2010 with the goal of seeing the group become a fully organised church. At present about 50 adults and children are gathering for worship each Lord's Day.
With thanks to our gracious God the Reformed Church was instituted as a fully organised church on Saturday, 10 August, 2013.