I am Associate Professor at the Università della Svizzera italiana - USI.
I joined the Università della Svizzera italiana in 2013 after one year of post-doctoral research at the University of Basel and the University of Lausanne. I obtained my PhD in Economics from the University of Lausanne in 2012.
My main research interests are in fiscal federalism, tax competition and regional economics.
I was awarded three FNS grants:
- "Firms and tax competition in the digital economy: a data platform for geo-temporal network analysis'' (co-project leader with Marco d'Ambros), starting in February 2020 (NRP 77 "Digital Transformation").
- "Sorting, Tax Competition and the Rise of Local Tax Havens", starting in September 2019.
- "Fiscal Rules, Fiscal Performance and Tax Competition among Swiss Municipalities", starting in November 2015 [Project description].
- "Are Local Tax Rates Strategic Complements or Strategic Substitutes?". American Economic Journal: Economic Policy. 11(2). May 2019, pp. 189-224.
- "Culture and Taxes" (with Beatrix Eugster). Journal of Political Economy. 127(1). February 2019, pp. 296-337. A previous version circulated under the title "Culture and Taxes. Towards Identifying Tax Competition".
- "Alleged Tax Competition. The Mysterious Death of Bequest Taxes in Switzerland" (with Marius Brülhart), Journal of Public Economics, 111, March 2014, pp. 63-78.
- "Who Bears the Burden of Local Taxes" (with Marius Brülhart, Jayson Danton and Jörg Schläpfer). Summary as a poster
- "Highways, Market Access, and Spatial Sorting" (with Stephan Fretz and Frédéric Robert-Nicoud). CEPR Discussion Paper 12437. New version (2019) available.
- La progressivité indirecte des impôts communaux (avec Marius Brülhart, Jayson Danton and Jörg Schläpfer). La Vie économique, décembre 2019.
- L'impôt sur les successions. Le point du vue de la recherche scientifique (avec Marius Brülhart), La Vie économique, mars 2014
- Erbschaftssteuern und Mobilität der Steuerzahler (mit Marius Brülhart), Die Volkswirtschaft, März 2014)
You can download my CV here: [CV]