Minghui's Home Page
Currently, I'm an algorithm expert in iDST, Alibaba, working on deep learning and transfer learning for many NLP tasks including paraphrastic sentence/doc embedding, neural conversation models, and sequence labeling. I held a Ph.D degree in School of Information Systems, Singapore Management University, under the supervision of Assist. Prof. Jing Jiang and Prof Lim Ee-peng. My research interests mainly include Text Mining and Analytic, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning and Transfer Learning. From 2013 to 2014, I was visiting Language Technologies Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, working with Noah Smith and Alex Smola. In the summer of 2014, I worked as an intern at Google Inc., Mountain View, CA with Amr Ahmed and Yuan Wang.
- Algorithm Expert, Alibaba Group, China , 2017.4 – Now.
- Build core question answering modules in AliMe Assistant Bot
- End-to-end Trainable TaskBot based on Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Deep Reinforcement Learning for Shopping Guidance
- Multi-Task Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs) for precipitation prediction
- AI platforms
- Building Ali Transfer learning Platform (ATP)
- Building Ali AI Agent for RL (A3gent)
- Developing Neural network models for Platform of AI (PAI)
- Senior Algorithm Engineer, Alibaba Cloud, China , 2015.8 – 2017.3
- Recursive Neural Networks (RNNs) for dialog systems.
- Paraphrastic sentence and document embedding.
- Building QA systems.
- Intern Google, Inc., Mountain View, CA, USA , 2014.5 - 2014.8
- Summer Intern on Random Features for Large-Scale Kernel Machines.
- Visiting Scholar Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA 2013.5 - 2014.5
- PhD Training Residency in Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning.
- PhD, Singapore Management University, Aug 2010 to July 2015.
- PhD Overseas Training Residency, Carnegie Mellon University, Aug 2013 to June 2014.
- B.E., Communication Engineering, Nanjing University of P. & T., 2009
- KDD 2019. A Minimax Game for Instance based Selective Transfer Learning. Bo Wang, Minghui Qiu*, et al., To appear in KDD.
- SIGIR 2019. BERT with History Modeling for Conversational Question Answering. Qu Chen, Yang Liu, Minghui Qiu, et al., In Proceedings of the 42th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR). 2019, to appear.[Code][Data][Bibtext]
- WWW 2019. Multi-Domain Gated CNN for Review Helpfulness Prediction. To appear in The World Wide Web Conference (WWW-19), San Francisco, USA, May, 2019.
- WSDM 2019. Learning to Selectively Transfer: Reinforced Transfer Learning for Deep Text Matching. Chen Qu, Feng Ji, Minghui Qiu*, Liu Yang, Zhiyu Min, Haiqing Chen, Jun Huang and W. Bruce Croft. To appear in Proceedings of the 12th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM 2019), Melbourne, Australia, February 11-15, 2019. Full Oral Paper. Acceptance rate=16% (84 out of 511).
- CHIIR 2019. User Intent Prediction in Information-seeking Conversations Chen Qu, Liu Yang, Bruce Croft, Yongfeng Zhang, Johanne R Trippas and Minghui Qiu. CHIIR 2019. Full Paper. [MSDialog dataset]
- ACL 2018. Transfer Learning for Context-Aware Question Matching in Information-seeking Conversations in E-commerce. Minghui Qiu, Liu Yang, Feng Ji, Wei Zhou, Weipeng Zhao, Jun Huang, Haiqing Chen, W. Bruce Croft,Wei Lin. In Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2018), Melbourne, Australia, July 15-20, 2018.
- SIGIR 2018. Response Ranking with Deep Matching Networks and External Knowledge in Information-seeking Conversation Systems. Liu Yang, Minghui Qiu, Chen Qu, Jiafeng Guo, Yongfeng Zhang, W. Bruce Croft, Jun Huang, Haiqing Chen. In Proceedings of the 41th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2018), Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.A. July 8-12, 2018. [Code][Data][Slides][PPT][Bibtex]
- SIGIR 2018. Analyzing and Characterizing User Intent in Information-seeking Conversations. Short Paper. To appear.[MSDialog dataset]
- WSDM 2018. Modelling Domain Relationships for Transfer Learning on Retrieval-based Question Answering Systems in E-commerce. Jianfei Yu, Minghui Qiu*, Jing Jiang, Shuangyong Song, Jun Huang, Wei Chu and Haiqing Chen. WSDM 2018.
- IJCAI 2018. IncepText: A New Inception-Text Module with Deformable PSROI Pooling for Multi-Oriented Scene Text Detection. To appear.
- Book Chapter. Reinforcement Learning Beyond Games: To Make a Difference in Alibaba. Book Chapter, 2018.
- NIPS Workshop 2017. Training Deeper Models by GPU Memory Optimization on TensorFlow. Meng Chen, Minmin Sun, Jun Yang, Minghui Qiu, Yang Gu, NIPS ML Systems Workshop, 2017.
- ICDM 2017. A Short-Term Rainfall Prediction Model using Multi-Task Convolutional Neural Networks. Minghui Qiu, Peilin Zhao, Ke Zhang, Xing Shi, Xiaoguang Wang, Jun Huang, and Wei Chu, ICDM, regular paper.
- CIKM 2017. A Communication Efficient Parallel DBSCAN Algorithm based on Parameter Server. Xu Hu, Jun Huang, Minghui Qiu, Cen Chen, Wei Chu. ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management.
- CIKM 2017. AliMe Assist: An Intelligent Assistant for Creating an Innovative E-commerce Experience, Feng-Lin Li, Minghui Qiu, Haiqing Chen, Xiongwei Wang, Xing Gao, Jun Huang, et al., ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. Best Demo Award.
- ACL 2017. AliMe Chat: a Sequence to Sequence and Rerank Based Chatbot Engine. Minghui Qiu, Feng-Lin Li, Siyu Wang, Xing Gao, Yan Chen, Weipeng Zhao, Haiqing Chen, Jun Huang, Wei Chu. Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- EACL 2017. Aspect Extraction from Product Reviews Using Category Hierarchy Information. Yinfei Yang, Cen Chen, Minghui Qiu, Forrest Sheng Bao. The European Chapter of the ACL.
- WWW 2017. Locally Connected Deep Learning Framework for Industrial-scale Recommender Systems. Cen Chen, Peilin Zhao, Longfei Li, Jun Zhou, Xiaolong Li, and Minghui Qiu. poster.
- ICML PADL 2017. Practical Lessons of Distributed Deep Learning, Jun Yang, Yan Chen, Siyu Wang, Lanbo Li, Chen Meng, Minghui Qiu, Wei Chu. ICML workshop on Principled Approaches to Deep Learning, 2017.
- TIST 2016. Personalized Microtopic Recommendation on Microblogs. Yang Li, Jing Jiang, Ting Liu, and Minghui Qiu. In the Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology.
- PAKDD 2016. Personal Credit Profiling via Latent User Behavior Dimensions on Social Media. Guangming Guo, Feida Zhu, Enhong Chen, Le Wu, Qi Liu, and Minghui Qiu. In The 20th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- SDM 2015. Modeling User Arguments, Interactions, and Attributes for Stance Prediction in Online Debate Forums. Minghui Qiu, Yanchuan Sim, Noah A. Smith, and Jing Jiang. 2015 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining. [Appendix]
- ACL 2015. Semantic Analysis and Helpfulness Prediction of Text for Online Product Reviews. Yinfei Yang, Yaowei Yan, Minghui Qiu, Forrst S. Bao, short, Beijing, China. [Data]
- KDD 2015. FaitCrowd: Fine Grained Truth Discovery for Crowdsourced Data Aggregation. Fenglong Ma, Yaliang Li, Qi Li, Minghui Qiu, Jing Gao, Shi Zhi, Lu Su, Bo Zhao, Heng Ji, and Jiawei Han. In the 21th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- KDD 2014. Jointly Modeling Aspects, Ratings and Sentiments for Movie Recommendation (JMARS). Qiming Diao, Minghui Qiu, Chao-Yuan Wu, Alexander J. Smola, Jing Jiang, and Chong Wang. In the 20th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- Coling 2014. Generating supplementary travel guides from social media. Liu Yang, Jing Jiang, Lifu Huang, Minghui Qiu, and Lizi Liao. In the 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics.
- WWW 2014. Who am I on Twitter? A Cross-Cultural Comparison. Wei Dong, Minghui Qiu, and Feida Zhu. In Proceedings of the 23rd World Wide Web Conference. Poster.
- PAKDD 2014. An Integrated Model for User Attribute Discovery: A case study on political affiliation identification. Swapna Gottipati, Minghui Qiu, Liu Yang, Feida Zhu, and Jing Jiang. In Proceedings of The 18th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- NAACL 2013. Mining User Relations from Online Discussions using Sentiment Analysis and Probabilistic Matrix Factorization. Minghui Qiu, Liu Yang, and Jing Jiang. In Proceedings of Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics. [Bibtex][Code][Data]
- NAACL 2013. A Latent Variable Model for Viewpoint Discovery from Threaded Forum Posts. Minghui Qiu, and Jing Jiang. In Proceedings of Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- CIKM 2013. Modeling Interaction Features for Debate Side Clustering. Minghui Qiu, Liu Yang, and Jing Jiang. In Proceedings of the 22nd ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management.
- CIKM 2013. CQARank: Jointly Model Topics and Expertise in Community Question Answering. Liu Yang, Minghui Qiu, Swapna Gottipati, Feida Zhu, Jing Jiang, Huiping Sun, and Zhong Chen. In Proceedings of the 22nd ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. [Code]Top 3 Cited Papers in CIKM'13
- SDM 2013. It's Not What We Say But How We Say Them: LDA-based Behavior-Topic Model. Minghui Qiu, Feida Zhu, and Jing Jiang. 2013 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM'13), Austin, Texas, USA. [Appendix][B-LDA Code][Slides]
- EMNLP 2013. Learning Topics and Positions from Debatepedia. Swapna Gottipati, Minghui Qiu, Yanchuan Sim, Jing Jiang, and Noah A. Smith. In Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. [Bibtex][Appendix][Data][Slides]
- SocInfo 2013. Predicting User's Political Party using Ideological Stances. Swapna Gottipati, Minghui Qiu, Liu Yang, Feida Zhu, and Jing Jiang. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Social Informatics. Best Paper Runner-up.
- AIRS 2012. Query-Oriented Keyphrase Extraction. Minghui Qiu, Yaliang Li, and Jing Jiang. In Proceedings of the Asia Information Retrieval Societies Conference, pp64-75.
- PRL 2010. A Fast Divisive Clustering Algorithm Using An Improved Discrete Particle Swarm Optimizer. Liang Feng, Minghui Qiu, Yu-Xuan Wang, Qiao-Liang Xiang, Yin-Fei Yang, and Kai Liu. Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 1216 - 1225.
- Deep Learning with PAI -- a Case Study of AliMe, Deep Learning Summit, Singapore, 2017.
- Tensorflow and Its Application in AliMe - An Intelligent Assistant, Tensorflow symposium, Alibaba, 2016.
- Latent Variable Models for Viewpoint Discovery in Online Discussions, ISP AI Seminar, University of Pittsburgh, 2014.
- Modeling Interaction Features for Debate Side Clustering. CIKM, Burlingame, CA. 2013
- Mining User Relations from Online Discussions using Sentiment Analysis and Probabilistic Matrix Factorization, NAACL, Atlanta, GA, 2013.
- A Latent Variable Model for Viewpoint Discovery from Threaded Forum Posts, NAACL, Atlanta, GA. 2012
- A Matrix Factorization Technique with Trust Propagation for Recommendation in Social Networks, LARC Research Seminar, Singapore. 2012
- Query-oriented Keyphrase Extraction, AIRS, Tianjin, China. 2012
- AliStar, Alibaba Group, 2015
- SocInfo Best Paper Runner-up, 2013.
- CIKM Student Travel Award, 2013.
- PhD Overseas Training Residency at CMU, LARC Scholarship.
- Singapore Management University Postgraduate Research Scholarship, 2010.
- Mining User Viewpoints in Online Discussions, Minghui Qiu, Ph.D. thesis, School of Information Systems, Singapore Management University, to appear in Aug 2015.
- Language Skills: Mandarin (mother tongue), English
- Programming Languages: Python, Java, C++, Matlab
"Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition.'' -- Allan Turing