pip for Windows
No more Windows command prompt !
- pip-Win is a tiny Python Package manager that is super easy to install. It automatically installs pip and virtualenv on Windows and its GUI lets you: switch from one python interpreter (i.e. version) to another (including py and pypy)
- see all installed packages, and whether they are up-to-date
- install or upgrade a package, or upgrade pip itself
- create and delete virtual environments, and switch between them
- run the IDLE or another python script, with the selected interpreter
pip-Win is made available under the GNU Lesser General Public Licence.
pip-win_1.9.exe, then execute it to launch pip-Win. Follow these instructions if you are behind a proxy that prevents pip-Win from downloading files. Feel free to create additional shortcuts to the file where you find it most convenient.
If you are not behind a proxy, you are advised to immediately upgrade your distribute/pip/virtualenv version :
- run pip-Win, type
upgradein the command field and click Run.
- select another Python interpreter in the first list box, and click Run again. Repeat for each interpreter.
Also, the installation of some Python packages require a C++ compiler. Here is how to install this compiler if needed (source):
- for 32-bit Python :
- For Python 3.5 install Visual Studio 2015
- For Python 3.3 and 3.4 install Visual C++ 2010 Express.
- For Python 2.6 through 3.2, install Visual C++ 2008 Express SP1.
- for 64-bit Python:
- For Python 3.5 install Visual Studio 2015
- For Python 3.3 and 3.4, install the full version of Visual Studio 2010.
- For Python 3.2 and older, install the full version of Visual Studio 2008.
- Make sure that you check the “x64 Compilers and Tools” option under Visual C++.
- Alternatively, use an unofficial package binary, if available.
When pip-Win starts, it detects the python interpreter currently active on your machine, and verifies that pip and virtualenv are installed. If not, it tries to install them (it fails if you are not online). The progress of the installation is shown in separate windows.
Pip-Win displays the list of Python interpreters installed in the
c:\pythonxx standard locations, in the
C:\pypy-x.x directory, and in the virtual environments under
c:\Python (see venv below). You may switch to another interpreter by selecting it from the list, or by clicking the Browse button and by selecting the
python.exe file (or
pypy.exe) of the interpreter. You can also type its path directly. Again, pip-Win will make sure that pip and virtualenv are installed in the library of that interpreter. It will also make sure that Windows file browser will use this interpreter to execute python programs (by associating this interpreter to
.py files; it does not change the windows PATH).
Once an interpreter is selected, you can enter one of the following commands and click Run :
Click Check package freshness to get the list of installed packages for the selected interpreter, with their version and the version on pypi. Finally, click the Upgrade all packages button to get their latest version from pypi.
After installation of a package, Python 3.3 users may wish to select the
C:\windows\py.exe interpreter to reactivate the Python Launcher.
An invitation to package developers
Pip and package installation is a challenge for novice Python users on Windows. Pip-Win has had good reviews on Reddit, and StackOverflow. So, feel free to refer to this page on your installation page, as Flexget does.
- Fixed in 1.7 : when running a python script, the current directory is now set to the directory of the script
- pip reports an error when run on an interpreter whose path contains spaces (bug)
- creating a virtualenv from a pypy interpreter raises an error when it installs pip ("The process cannot find the path specified"). You can ignore it, and switch to the created virtualenv.
- on pypy,
pip install xxwill install xx, but not the required packages : you need to install each dependency separately.
- python 2.5 requires the separate installation of SSL
Please report other issues here.
A note on security
pip-Win takes great care of improving the security of your PC when using pypi:
- Version 1.6 uses
https:download to get the latest setuptools and pip. This avoids the risk of Man-in-the-middle attack
- it helps you upgrade your distribute / pip / virtualenv programs to benefit from the latest security enhancements in these programs.