PM's Personal Space
Prasant Misra, Ph.D. (Computer Science & Engg., UNSW) [CV]
Prasant is a computer scientist, passionate about developing newer and better ways of sensing the physical world. His research cuts across various aspects of computational sensing with a focus on cyber-physical systems. He also has a background in middleware for wireless sensor networks and low-power networked embedded systems.
Prasant has many years of experience in scientific and industrial research. He has worked in different roles and capabilities for: Keane Inc. (a unit of NTT Data Corporation), Bangalore; CSIRO Sydney and Brisbane; Robert Bosch Centre for Cyber Physical Systems in the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. His external engagements include visiting fellow / researcher / visitor at: ETH Zurich, iMinds-IBCN Universiteit Gent, NICTA Sydney, and TIFR Mumbai.
He has worked on a diverse range of problems pertaining to: time/location sensing and tracking technologies (for applications in wireless sensor networks, robotics and MAVs, demining, HAI), modeling / characterization / deployment studies (for low-power wireless communication in high stress environments), middleware technology stacks (for IoT platforms), and unobtrusive sensing and informatics (for condition monitoring and diagnosis of complex physical systems); the outcomes of which have either resulted in open-source solutions, or publications in premier systems research forums.
Prasant scientific excellence has been recognized and felicitated by a number of honors and awards, of which it is noteworthy to mention the: MIT TR35 India “Top 10 Innovators under 35 in India” and TCS “Exemplary Contribution Award” in 2017, ERCIM “Alain Bensoussan” and EC “Marie Curie” Fellowship in 2012; and the Australian Government's AusAID “Australian Leadership Awards” Scholarship (now a stream of Australia Awards) in 2008.
He is an active volunteer. He has served on the organizing and technical committee of a number of national/international conferences/events. He is a contributor to National standardization forums on Smart Cities and Infrastructure. He is an active speaker on various aspects of IoT and its nuances. He is a senior member of IEEE and ACM, member of the executive committee of IEEE Bangalore Section (as Co-chair, Industry Relations) and COMSNETS Association, and an Associate Technical Editor of IEEE Communication Magazine. His volunteering excellence and impact has been felicitated by the: IEEE Bangalore Section "Outstanding Volunteer Award for the year 2017".
Prasant completed his postdoctoral fellowship from the Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Stockholm in 2013. He received his Ph.D. from the University of New South Wales, Sydney in 2012 and B.E. (First class with Honors) from Sambalpur University in 2006, both in the field of computer science and engineering. He is an alumnus of St. Patrick's H.S. School, Asansol.
Invited Speaker :
- [21 Apr. 2018] TiE IoT Day [LINK]
- [26 Apr. 2018] 3rd Indo-European Conference on Standards and Emerging Technology, New Delhi [LINK]
Organizing Committee :
- IoPARTS workshop Co-chair @ ACM MobiSys 2018
- Poster Co-chair @ ACM Mobicom 2018
- CNetSys workshop Co-chair @ ACM Mobicom 2018
- Workshops Co-chair @ COMSNETS 2019
- LastMileS workshop Co-chair @ COMSNETS 2019
- Demo Co-chair @ ICDCN 2019
Paper Acceptance (Jan. 2018 - cont. )
- [Mar. 2018] "Aerial Drones with Location Sensitive Ears", co-authored with A. Kumar, P. Mohapatra, and Balamurali P. (TCS R&I) @ IEEE Communication Magazine Adhoc & Sensor Network Series (I.F. - 10.435)
- [Jan. 2018] "DroneEARS: Robust Acoustic Source Localization with Aerial Drones", co-authored with A. Anil Kumar, P. Mohapatra, and Balamurali P. (TCS R&I) @ IEEE ICRA 2018 (Flagship conference in Robotics)
Paper Presentation (Jan. 2018 - cont. )