About Us

 
Our Mission Statement
 

 

The purpose of this congregation shall be to worship God, to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to celebrate the sacraments of baptism and holy communion; to strive for Christian fellowship and unity, righteousness, justice and peace; to render loving service toward all people; and to adopt from time to time such measures as are in harmony with the spirit, teaching, and customs of the United Church of Christ and tend to promote the Kingdom of God.

(From the New Jerusalem Zion UCC Revised Constitution - Sept. 17, 2000)

 
Our Church History
 

Two congregations become one…

New Jerusalem Zion United Church of Christ was established as a congregation when the Reformed members of the New Jerusalem (Dunkel’s) Union Church and Reformed members of the New Bethel Zion Union Church voted to unite.

A brief look at New Jerusalem (Dunkel’s) Union Church…

In 1744 a log church was built by the German Reformed people in Greenwich Township, Pennsylvania. The Reformed congregation was small, so it united with the Lutherans in 1790 in order to build a union church. In 1824, the church was renovated and given the name of New Jerusalem at the consecration on October 6, 1824. The church was renovated again in 1894 with a bell tower being added in 1901. On June 24, 1951, the pews and wooden altar area was installed and dedicated with morning, afternoon, and evening worship services.

A brief look at New Bethel Zion (Grimville) Union Church…

The first church’s cornerstone was laid at Grmiville in 1761 and the church was called Bethel. In 1803, Bethel Church became New Bethel Zion Lutheran Church. Over 40 years later in 1844, it was resolved to make New Bethel Zion a Union Church. At that time, the Reformed congregation moved into New Bethel Zion’s building and received equal rights with the Lutheran Congregation. In 1923, the church building was razed in order to provide a place for a new church to be built. The church was completed and dedicated in 1925.

New Jerusalem Zion United Church of Christ is formed…

The dissolution of the union churches was started by the Lutheran congregations in 1965 and concluded in May 1970. The vote to unite both Reformed congregations was taken at Pentecost time.

During the two years after the dissolution, the two Reformed congregations joined together for worship and to build the present church. Groundbreaking took place on May 25, 1971 and the cornerstone laid on October 3, 1971. The pews and wooden altar area from New Jerusalem (Dunkel’s) Union Church was removed and placed in the present building. The first worship service was held in the present church on December 5, 1971.

And the ministry continues…

(History adapted from The Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Celebration booklet)