A free note-taking, document file and activity manager for GNU/Linux.
Copyright by Massimo Nardello,
Version 1.4.0 stable release - Released on 25 May 2016.
Modena (Italy) 2010-2016.
- A new video on MyNote is available! See below to watch it.
- Why MyNotex cannot be compiled for Windows or OS X? See the FAQ section.
- If MyNotex is a note-taking software, why does it offer the possibility to manage activities? See the answer in the FAQ section.
- Want to know smart ways to use MyNotes to write books, to run a bakery or a music class? Take a look at the Repository section.
- Do you like MyNotex? Do you want to help other people to use it? See what you may do in the Contribute section.
What is MyNotex?
MyNotex is a free software for GNU/Linux to take notes, to file documents and to manage activities.
Notes are gathered under different subjects and are made by a title, a date, a tags (keywords) list and a free-length text. This may be formatted: it is possible to change the font name, size and color of a selected text and of its background, and also to set bold, italic, underline and strike-through; the text may have pictures within it. The software can manage paragraph alignment, bullets, numbered and alphabetic lists with automatic indentation. Each note may have any number of attachments (files of every kind), and has also a spreadsheet-like grid to manage a list of activities which is quite similar to the one used in many software of project management. The various activities of one or all the notes of a file may be shown in a diary view and possibly exported in iCal format. A single file of MyNotex contains various notes filed in different subjects.
See the following instructional video on MyNotex 1.4.
See how to use MyNotex as an article manager
.See how to use MyNotex as a picture manager.
(Thanks to George Supreeth for this description
Although MyNotex is described as a free-form information manager, it boasts some killer features that set it apart from the average note-taking software. Here are some of the top features.
Remember everything, keep it forever
MyNotex sits on your desktop, and not on the cloud somewhere. You control your files and backups. The notes in MyNotex are arranged in subjects. Think of subjects as notebooks and notes as, well - notes. There is no known limit to how many subjects or notes you can create in a single MyNotex document.
A Joy to Use. Simple UI and Work-flow
This is probably the only manual you'll ever need to read. In fact, go ahead and skip the rest if you want to - because with MyNotex, you'll hit the ground running. The User Interface is straight-forward, and the dual pane makes organization of content extremely easy.
Seek and it shall be found. Solid Search and Retrieval
Notes can be dated and tagged - making search and retrieval, a snap. MyNotex searches across a wide variety of parameters, helping you to organize your notes even if they number in the thousands.
Leave no file behind. Attach anything
You can attach virtually any type of file to a note in MyNotex. Think of the possibilities. With MyNotex you can centrally maintain all your project documents, spreadsheets, presentations, mind-maps - basically any type of file in one centralized location.
Don't just think, do. Manage projects
Each note comes with it's own Activity-Manager. To those familiar with project management software, this is a spreadsheet-like grid which allows you to create and manage list of activities and sub-activities with project-status, critical-dates, resources and cost specifications.
Safe & Secure. Encryption
If security is important to you, MyNotex allows encryption and decryption of notes with AES algorithm or of files, with GNU Privacy Guard (GPG), if available in the system.
Create beautiful documents on the fly
MyNotex allows you to export any note as a Open Office or Libre Office document. You can also import content directly from such documents as well.
Love Hyper-links? You'll love the Interlinking Notes
MyNotex makes it easy to link notes to each other, link notes to files or link to websites. Linking helps you form mental connections between your content, besides the fact that it is an incredibly useful feature.
And there's much much more...
- Writing, manipulating text, attaching files.
- Add attachments through drag and drop. Attachments are zipped and stored in a directory with the same name and path of the MyNotex file in use and automatically managed by the software; the number of attachments is limited only by the available disk space.
- Move notes from one subject to another.
- Insert pictures in the text of a note with resizing option. The pictures will be saved in the attachment directory.
- Zoom the text on a note.
- Insert "activity done" and "activity to do" symbols to manage task-lists.
- Move paragraphs up and down within the text of a note.
Printing, Importing and Exporting
- Print a note directly, without opening it in the word processor or in the browser (provided that there are no pictures inside it)
- Import and export of a subject with the related notes and attachments from and to another file of MyNotex
- Import from Tomboy and Gnote notes. (Also of course, OpenOffice.org Writer or LibreOffice Writer files.)
- Directly open the text of the current note in OpenOffice.org Writer or LibreOffice Writer.
- Export data in HTML format. You can also display the current note in the default browser to print it.
- Copy the text of a note in Latex format to paste it in a Latex editor.
- Send the text of a note as email through the default mail software.
- Export the dates of the notes in the HTML export file, if you wish to.
Finally it is possible to synchronize two different files of MyNotex so
that the new, the changed and the deleted subjects, notes and
attachments in each one of them are mirrored in the other; at the end of
the process, the two files and attachments directories are identical.
This feature allows to modify two or more files of MyNotex offline and
then connect to the LAN or the Internet and synchronize them, also
through a cloud services like Dropbox.
So, for example, MyNotex could be useful to:
- take notes during meetings, lessons, conferences, etc;
- write and keep ideas, memos, letters, reports, agendas, projects, etc;
- write and keep encrypted reports of confidential meetings;
- write and keep series of lessons and conferences;
- write and keep a diary (daily or not);
- write and keep an archive of pdf articles (attach each pdf file to a note under a thematic subject, insert its author and its title as the note's title, its abstract as the note's text and the proper tags; in this way it will be possible to search in the abstract, in the author/title and in the tags of the pdf file);
- write and keep archive of source code (for programmers);
- write and keep reviews of books, movies, etc.
- collect many simple written documents (no images, footnotes, headings, etc.) in one file;
- create an archive of pictures, with the possibility to store the original file as attachment and a smaller version of it in the text of the notes, with proper explanations.
- create an archive of on line texts (articles of web magazines, blogs, etc.) copying them from the browser;
- manage an encrypted list of passwords;
- manage a to-do list (task list);
- share notes and documents with others.
To see more unconventional uses of MyNotex, visit the Repository section.
he new features of the software added from the version 1.4.0 are:
one-level undo functionality, useful to undo the last typed word or
pasted text within a note without having to cancel all the changes made
from the last save;
- possibility to set an alarm clock, which at
the appointed time shows a warning to the user; in the status bar are
reported the set time and the left time, and the label is shown in green
if the left time is more then 15 minutes, in brown if it's less than 15
minutes and more than 5, and in red if it's less than 5 minutes;
to search for subjects and notes only within the results of a previous
search, so to implement an AND search; the conditions and the text
searched for are shown in a box in the search area;
- in the text
of the notes each possible hashtag (a word beginning with #) is
automatically formatted as a link, and with “Ctrl” + click on it the
software searches for all the notes containing the same hashtag;
GPG encryption, the last email used to select the public key is
remembered by the software; the password is not requested by the
software, but by the system in use, which may cache it for some time or
- in the Options of the software, possibility to
disable autosave, so that an unwanted saving of a note might not prevent
the possibility to undo a typed text;
- in the Options of the software, possibility to set a space among paragraphs or within the lines of each paragraph;
- possibility to resize horizontally the attachment area;
- it has been added the 12 AM/PM time format in the language file;
- the number of attachments of a note is indicated in the label above the attachment area.
- File - Undo editing: “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Z”;
- Notes - Undo editing: “Ctrl” + “Z”;
- Search only within the results of a previous search: “Ctrl” + “Enter” (on the search field);
- Make one paragraph of many different paragraphs separated above and below from empty lines: “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Alt” + “P”;
- Renumber items list: “Ctrl” + “Alt” + “.” (dot).
The new features of the software added in the version 1.3.1 are:
diary view of all the activities contained in all the notes of the file
in use or in the current one (see menu item “Notes - Show diary...”);
it's possible to filter the activities by date or by resources, to
export them in iCal format in order to import them in software like
Evolution or Thunderbird with Lightning add on;
- possibility to shift all the dates of the activities one day backward or one day forward.
- possibility to set the default start date of a project (a project is series of activities of a note);
with the earliest and the latest dates of all the activities of a note,
that is the start and end date of the whole project;
to change the color of the font and of the background of a subject or
of a title of a note (see menu items “Subjects – Look and Notes –
Look”); in the options of the software it's possible to define up to 3
different set of font/background color, to be applied with a button in
the Look menu;
- possibility to sort manually the subjects and the
notes, moving them up and down (see the buttons at the bottom of the
subject and notes grids or use “Ctrl” + “Arrow Up” and “Ctrl” + “Arrow
Down” within the same grids);
- possibility to move the “activity done” lists in the text of a note (lines beginning with and symbols) in the activity grid;
- small icons on the left of the title of a note if it's encrypted or has activities, in place of red or italic font;
- print settings;
- new better icon for the tray;
- new options in the “Options” form, like hiding sync messages when there are no errors.
- “Ctrl” + “Return” on a note title to insert in the text the same title as heading 1.
+ “Shift” + “N” to copy in the clipboard the link to a subject / note
name to paste it as a link within the text of a note.
- “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Alt” + “D” to insert the date, in place of “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “D” used also in the activity grid.
- “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “.” removes the bullets, the numbers or the letters in a list.
A file of MyNotex is a database of Sqlite (www.sqlite.org
), a popular software whose data can be easily read and exported through different tools available on the Internet. The version of Sqlite used by MyNotex is 3.6.22-1 or following (available in Ubuntu 10.04 or following), but it should work also with previous version major or equal to 3.
The use a Sqlite and the lack of the typical tree view structure to show the titles of the subjects and of the notes makes the difference between MyNotex and other note-taking softwares. MyNotex has been developed so that it could easily manage a large number of notes, even if it can be used just to write few texts. The use of grids instead of a tree view structure and of Sqlite format instead of a XML file grant better strength and speed with large amount of data. This makes MyNotex useful not only for personal use, but also to share many textual documents within a group or an organization. See at the bottom of the page few information about a load test of the software.
MyNotex runs in English, French, German, Russian, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish, according to the language of the system in use. It is also possible to open with a text editor the English language file “english.lng” installed in the directory of the software (/opt/mynotex) or download it from the Download section
, open it (it's just a text file), translate all the sentences from English into one's language and install it. See the manual for more information.
MyNotex has been developed with Lazarus
) and the components TDBZVDateTimePicker (wiki.freepascal.org/ZVDateTimeControls_Package
), a modified version of TRichMemo (http://wiki.freepascal.org/RichMemo
) available in the Download section and Dcpcrypt (http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/DCPcrypt
). It has been developed, tested and compiled for GTK2.
The source code of MyNotex is available in the Download section
or in https://github.com/maxnd/mynotex
Jean-Philippe Fleury, Daniel Poulin and Pascal Munerot (French), Lars Wohlfahrt, Susanne Böhm, Mona Abendroth by IST planbar GmbH, Germany (German), Massimo Nardello (Italian), Bruce Delchi (Portuguese), Aleksandr Supryadkin (Russian), Edelmiro Vila and Roony Alvarez (Spanish).
The following screenshots are taken from MyNotex 1.3.1 with fictional data. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
Diary interface with the current activities
Main interface with transparency enabled
Help and contacts
To ask questions, share ideas or report bugs about MyNotex it is possible to subscribe or simply to visit the on line forum in
To contact me, the author of MyNotex, send an email to ms.nardello at the domain gmail.com.
Please do not contact me in order to have support on the installation or the use of the software. I can't really answer to single users requests.
The last version of MyNotex is 1.4.0, published on 25 May 2016.
In the download section the following items are available:
- the deb packages to install MyNotex in Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and other Debian-derived GNU/Linux distributions;
- the rpm packages to install MyNotex in Fedora, openSuse, Mandriva and other similar GNU/Linux distributions;
- English, Italian, German and Russian manual of MyNotex in pdf; all the manuals are installed automatically with the packages, so they may be downloaded only by those who want just to take a look to the software without installing it;
- French and Spanish version of the manual of MyNotex 1.3.0;
- the source code of MyNotex and of the modified RichMemo component.
Both 32 bit and 64 bit deb and rpm packages of MyNotex are available.
Go to download section
To test the response of MyNotex (version 1.0.6) with large amounts of data, it has been created by software a file with 100,000 notes divided in 100 subjects (1,000 notes for each subject); each note contained about 15,000 characters in the text, 4 full pages of A4 format (1,5 billion of characters as total). Though the file was about 1,5 GB, the software was still responsive except for the search in notes text, which required about 25 sec. The computer used for the test was a notebook with an Intel core i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM.
This software has been made with Lazarus