Announcements & Weekly Update
The Mira Mesa High School
2019 - 2020
The 220-members of the Sapphire Sound are proud to represent the community of Mira Mesa in San Diego, CA. We have been invited to the 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade! Go Blue Team!
February 17 - 22, 2020
Monday - President's Day - No school / Color Guard 1:30 - 4:30 pm
Tuesday - Color Guard rehearsal 3:00 - 5:00 pm / Symphony Orchestra 4:30 - 6:30 pm
Wednesday - Sectionals / 8th Grade Open House & 8th Gr. Parent Meeting 7 pm / Restaurant Fundraiser at Best Pizza & Brew.
Thursday - No Jazz Band rehearsal / Color Guard 3 - 6 pm & 6 - 9 pm
Friday - Pit Orchestra
Saturday - Varsity Color Guard at Del Norte - Click HERE for the timeline
CALENDAR & PARENT INFORMATION
Please turn in your envelopes for bus transportation. Thank you for the support!
2021 ROSE PARADE: Dream. Believe. Achieve - Celebrating Education! Tickets are available at: Sharp Seating
ROSE PARADE: Plan NOW for December 2020! With the Band's invitation to the January 1, 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade, we will be in full day rehearsals throughout the December break. Only Dec 24 & 25 will be off. Make plans with your families in San Diego for the holidays!
DISTRICT HONOR BAND & ORCHESTRA - Congratulations to many students from Mira Mesa HS who auditioned and were accepted into this year's SDUSD High School Honor Band and/or Orchestra! Band and Orchestra.
FORMAL ATTIRE - TUXEDOS WERE SIZED LAST WEEK FOR YOUNG MEN WHO NEED THEM. AN ENVELOPE CAN HOME WITH THE ORDER. PLEASE TURN IN BY TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 18. If you have any questions, please email the uniform chair, Tracy Noteware at: email@example.com
FEBRUARY UPCOMING DATES:
- 2/17 - President's Holiday - No school
- 2/19 - Restaurant Fundraiser at Best Pizza & Brew. Click HERE for the flyer.
- 2/19 - 8th Grade Open House - 8th Gr. Parent Meeting at 7:00 pm
- 2/20-2/23 - CASMEC (All-State Ensembles and Music Conference)
- 2/25 - Band Area Concert in the Gym at 6:30 pm (All Bands Perform)
- 2/27 - Parent Meeting at 7:00 pm / Rose Parade Payment #1 Due ($100)
- 2/29 - Color Guard Home Tournament - We would love to see Band and Color Guard parents and students volunteer for this day. It's a fun and easy event to help facilitate. Contact Heather Bartnek if you are able to help: firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for the calendar? We have an active Google Calendar on the Band website.
MARCH DATES OF INTEREST:
- "Freaky Friday" Musical - Come watch a great show and listen to the music live all performed by our MMHS students, many of whom are a part of the Band. Dates of the musical are March 6 & 7 and March 12 -14.
- 3/7 - JV & Varsity Color Guard at Mission Hills HS
- 3/10 - SDUSD Honor Group Rehearsal 6 - 8 pm
- 3/11 - Pre-Festival Concert (ALL Ensembles will perform)
- 3/14 - SCSBOA BAND & ORCHESTRA FESTIVAL at Mira Mesa HS (ALL Ensembles will perform)
- 3/21 - JV & Varsity at Mission Hills HS
- 3/17, 3/19-21 - SDUSD Honor Group Rehearsals
- 3/22 - SDUSD HS Honor Band & Orchestra Concert at 3 pm at Copley Symphony Hall (The concert is free)
- 3/26 - Parent Meeting 7 pm / Rose Parade Payment #2
- 3/27 - Symphony Orchestra to CMEA State Festival
- 3/30 - 4/3 - Spring Break
- 4/2 - Wind Ensemble rehearsal 10 am
- 4/3 - UCLA Wind Ensemble Invitational (all day)
SPAM MUSUBI help needed. No experience necessary! Kris Tokunaga does a GREAT job of raising money for our program each and every week by making and selling spam musubi. If you are willing to help, please email: email@example.com
TEAMS ARE FORMING NOW! IT'S OUR ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT on Sunday, April 26, 2020 - Plan now for a fun morning of golf at the Miramar Golf Course. Click HERE for more information. Don't golf? No problem. We are always looking for sponsors and donations. Click HERE to help with sponsors and donations.
Shopwithscrip.com is an EASY way to help support our program. Go to the website and select, "Join a Program", then put in our code: LB285DLF33861
Do you shop on Amazon? If so, go to Amazon Smile and put in Mira Mesa Instrumental Music Boosters before you shop. A portion comes back to our program!
In the Director's Corner
I can't believe how quickly the month of February is going! Wasn't it just the holidays? As we enter the end of February and round the corner to March, we will have performances and events throughout the next several weeks. It's a juggling act, but a fun one.
Color Guard is beginning their competitive season and are ready to go! I hope you will be able to attend one or more of their performance. Just check out the Google calendar on the website for the list of dates.
All Band ensembles will be headed to festival for music assessment. A festival is an event where each group prepares selected literature and then performs it for a panel of judges. We receive feedback and an evaluation of the performance. It's a time for reflection and growth for each group. We are fortunate to be able to host the SCSBOA festival at Mira Mesa HS, so our students can come to school and perform.
On Thursday, I will be heading to Fresno with hundreds of other music educators from around the State for the annual CASMEC (CA All-State Music Education Conference). I'm thrilled to have three of our students also traveling as they will be a part of the all-state honor ensembles. Congratulations to Dillon Halpin, Nathan Kaplan, and Jenna Nguyen!
Have a great week! We are "All In" together, Sapphire Sound.