The hall was built as a a memorial to those who fell during the first world war. The site was given to the village by Edward Bather of Nobold House with the hall opening in October 1921.
A roll of honour was presented to the hall by the Meole Brace literary and debating society in 1922.
Pictures from the past
Meole Brace F.C 1914
This is the second church, which stood from 1250 to 1799. There have been 4 churches on this site, the first a Royal chapel which belonged to Queen Edith, Edward the Confessor’s wife as she held the Manor of “Melham”. The third church, completed in 1799 was evidently not well-loved and to avoid expensive repairs was replaced by the splendid edifice we know today which was consecrated in 1869.
The old Iron Bridge over the Rea brook, built in 1812 for Thomas Telford by William Hazledine in Coleham.
Iron and concrete bridge over the Rea brook, replacing Telford’s bridge to provide wider access for the 1933 A5 bypass. Evans’s Hospital front aspect is visible in the background. Note the tiny Meole roundabout in the foreground.
Edwin Williams, the local blacksmith on Lower Road c. 1907. Mr Williams and apprentice are in the gateway.