I am interested in international trade and applied microeconomics, but my current research focuses primarily on strategic trade policy. There is another economist named Matthew Cole that publishes on topics concerning international trade and the environment. His website is here
- Cole, Matthew T., Ronald B. Davies and Todd Kaplan, (2017) "Protection in Government Procurement Auctions," Journal of International Economics. Vol 106, pp 134-142.
- Besedes, Tibor and Matthew T. Cole, (2017) "Distorted Trade Barriers: A Dissection of Trade Costs in a "Distorted Gravity" Model," Review of International Economics,, Vol. 25, No. 1 pp 148-164. Online Mathematical Appendix.
- Cole, Matthew T. and Amelie Guillin, (2015) "The Determinants of Trade Agreements in Services vs. Goods," International Economics, Vol. 144, No. 4 pp. 66-82.
- Cole, Matthew T. and Ronald B. Davies, (2014) "Royale with Cheese: The Effect of Globalization on the Variety of Goods," Review of Development Economics, Vol. 18, No.2 pp. 386-400.
- Cole, Matthew T. and Ronald B. Davies, (2011) "Strategic Tariffs, Tariff Jumping, and Heterogeneous Firms," European Economic Review, Vol. 55, No. 4 pp. 480-496.
- Cole, Matthew T., (2011) “Not All Trade Restrictions are Created Equally.” Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Vol. 147, No. 3 pp. 411-427.
- Cole, Matthew, M. Ryan Haley, and Aaron Lowen, (2008)
"A Note on Bilateral Trade Agreements in the Presence of Irreversible Investment and Deferred Negotiations,"
Economics Bulletin, Vol. 6, No. 34 pp. 1-10.
- Cole, Matthew T. and Carsten Eckel, (2016) "Tariffs and Markups in Retailing," Cal Poly Working Paper 1604 (revisions requested: Journal of International Economics).
- Cole, Matthew T., Ivan Pastine and Tuvana Pastine, (2013) "Incumbency Advantage and Campaign Finance Regulation," Florida International University Working Paper 1304 (under review).
- Cole, Matthew T., James Lake, and Benjamin Zissimos, "Contesting an International Trade Agreement." (in progress).
- Cole, Matthew T. and Ronald B. Davies, (2014) "Foreign Bidders Going Once, Going Twice... Government Procurement Auctions with Tariffs," Florida International University Working Paper 1402. --This paper is substantially revised and cited in Cole et al. (2016).
I am currently at California Polytechnic State University where I teach International Economics and Introductory Economics. At Florida International University I taught the Ph. D. Microeconomics, Ph. D. International Trade, Intermediate Microeconomics, and a course on foreign direct investment. I was previously at University College Dublin
where I taught Quantitative Techniques and Business Economics for Masters students and Game Theory for undergrads.
I have independently taught
Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, Business Economics, and Public Finance at
Grand Valley State University
. At the University of Oregon
, I taught Intermediate Microeconomics and International Economics.