Matthew Wright, PhD, is a Professor of Computing Security and Director of Research for the Global Cybersecurity Institute (GCI) at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Dr. Wright earned his PhD in Computer Science at UMass Amherst in 2005 and previously worked as a faculty member in Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Texas at Arlington from 2005-2016. He is the winner of a NSF CAREER Award.
Phone: (585) 475-5432
152 Lomb Memorial Dr.
Rochester, NY 14623
I conduct research in computer and network security, with a focus on adversarial machine learning, distributed systems, and usable security. In particular, I have worked extensively on anonymity systems like Tor, password-based user authentication, peer-to-peer networks, and wireless sensor and ad hoc networks (now we might call this Internet of Things).
I am currently teaching a Computing Security graduate seminar (CSEC 759) on Internet Security and Privacy. Over the years, I have taught a lab-based overview course on Computer and Network Security (Information Security 1 at UT Arlington), a course on Cryptography and Network Security (Information Security 2 at UT Arlington), and a course on how to build secure software systems (Secure Programming at UT Arlington).
I am lucky to have taught and advised many students over the years. For brevity, I will just list the PhD students below.
Current PhD students:
- Nate Mathews
- Md. Saidur Rahman
- S. Maximus Seng
- John (Saniat) Sohrawardi
Graduated PhD students (5 of 8 are professors):
- Payap Sirinam: Faculty at the Navaminda Kasatriyadhiraj Royal Air Force Academy
- Armon Barton: Data Scientist at Lockheed Martin
- Mohsen Imani: Data Scientist at Qualys, Inc.
- Mahdi Nasrullah Al-Ameen: Assistant Professor at Utah State University
- S M Taiabul Haque: Asst. Prof. at U. Central Missouri
- Jun-Won Ho (co-advised by Sajal K. Das): Asst. Prof. at Seoul Women's University
- Nayantara Mallesh: Software Engineer at Dell
- Brent Lagesse (co-advised by Mohan Kumar): Asst. Prof. at U. Washington - Bothel