- Quaternary Geochronology
- Electron Spin Resonance (ESR) dating, in particular:
- Combined Uranium-series/Electron Spin Resonance (US-ESR) dating of fossil teeth
- ESR dating of sedimentary optically bleached quartz grains.
- ESR dosimetry of Quaternary materials
- U-series dating of fossil teeth
My research is focused on two main lines: (i) Applications of ESR and U-series dating methods in relation with archaeological, human evolution-related or geological questions; (ii) Methodological developments in order to improve the reliability and accuracy of the ESR dating method.
1. Dating application studies in Quaternary and archaeological sciences:
- Chronological framework of the Lower and Middle Palaeolithic hominid settlements in the Mediterranean area
e.g., Fuente Nueva-3, Barranco Leon, Atapuerca Gran Dolina, Vallparadis (Spain), Lunery, Brinay la Noira (France), Ain Boucherit, Ain Hanech, Tighennif (Algeria), Ain Beni Mathar (Morocco)
- Direct dating of human fossils
e.g., Homo antecessor from Atapuerca Gran Dolina TD-6, Homo sapiens from Al Wusta (Saudi Arabia) and Misliya (Israel), Homo naledi from Rising Star complex (South Africa), Homo sp. from Mata Menge (Indonesia)
- Fluvial geomorphology and evolution of fluvial systems and Neogene-Quaternary sedimentary basins
e.g., Ebro Basin (Spain), Moulouya river (Morocco), Cantabrian margin (Spain), Tajo Basin (Spain), Cher river (France), Rhine river (Germany)
2. Methodological developments:
- Developing ESR dating applied to Early Pleistocene fossil teeth (>780 ka)
with a special focus on : (i) ESR dosimetry of fossil tooth enamel, through a better understanding of the composition and behavior of the radiation-induced ESR signal in fossil tooth enamel; (ii) Uranium uptake and migration into dental tissues
- Improving the reliability of the ESR dating method applied to optically bleached quartz grains
in particular: (i) Optimizing the experimental conditions for ESR measurements at low temperature; (ii) Understanding the behaviour of the ESR signals with the radiation dose; (iii) Evaluating the potential of the Ti centres for geochronological purpose; (iv) Cross-comparisons with other, numerical or not, dating methods (OSL, cosmogenic nuclides, magnetostratigraphy …)
- Identifying the main sources of uncertainty in dose rate evaluation
e.g., In situ evaluation of the environmental dose rate; Uncertainty on grain size and shape and its impact on ESR/OSL dating of quartz and feldspar grains; Quantifying HF etching on quartz and feldspars
Quaternary Geochronology; Electron Spin Resonance (ESR); Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR); ESR/EPR dating; ESR/EPR dosimetry; U-series dating; Fossil teeth; Quartz; Early hominid occupations, Orce, Vallparadís, Atapuerca, Ain Boucherit.
Examples of recent dating studies
Last update: 01/01/2019