Building a curated list of resources for libraries and library workers in the resistance.
Welcome to #LibrariesResist!
This resource is for everyone, but is targeted at information professionals (librarians, archivists, records managers, curators, etc.). How can libraries help communities made (more) vulnerable by the current administration? The resources we've selected seek to highlight both examples of those already doing this important work, and tools to help libraries do better.
Use the search box or navigation bar to find specific information and resources about library-specific topics, as well as some more general reading lists and actions.
Please share with your networks, join the conversation on Twitter and Facebook, give feedback, and keep resisting policies, laws, and trends that threaten vulnerable communities and that impact the free, unbiased, and accessible sharing of all types of information.
Why Should Libraries Resist?
- American Library Association. “ALA Opposes New Administration Policies that Contradict Core Values.” ala.org, 30 Jan. 2017.
- Association of College and Research Libraries. “ACRL Board of Directors Affirms Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Access.” acrl.ala.org, 30 Jan. 2017.
- Association of Research Libraries, “ARL Libraries Issue Statements, Post Signs Affirming Core Beliefs,” 3 March 2017.
- Association of Research Libraries, “Research Libraries, University Presses Oppose Trump’s Immigration Order,” 30 Jan. 2017.
- Association of Research Libraries, “Research Libraries and Archives Stand Committed to Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, Social Justice,” 16 Nov. 2016.
- Clinton, Hillary. "2017 ALA Annual Conference Closing Keynote Speech, Chicago." cnn.com, 27 June 2017.
- Doctorow, Cory. “Librarians must resist trumpism.” boingboing.net, 20 Dec. 2016.
- Fuller, Jamie. "In Trump's America, Activist Librarians Who Won't Be Shushed." mtv.com, 19 Jan. 2017.
- Griffey, Jason. “Stand, Fight, Resist.” jasongriffey.net, 16 Dec. 2016.
- Griffey, Jason. "Plan, Prepare, Act." jasongriffey.net, 3 Mar. 2017.
- Herman, Lily. "Ivanka Trump Faced Backlash For Tweeting About National Library Week." teenvogue.com, 14 April 2017.
- Jensen, Kelly. "Libraries Resist: A Round-Up of Tolerance, Social Justice, & Resistance in US Libraries." bookriot.com, 10 Feb. 2017.
- Kean, Danuta. "US libraries join the struggle to resist the Trump administration." theguardian.com, 21 Feb. 2017.
- Khmara, Danyelle. "Libraries Trump Hate." tucsonweekly.com, 19 April 2017.
- Kipen, David.“How to Weather the Trump Administration: Head to the Library.” latimes.com, 10 Nov. 2016.
- Mayer, Allana. "Libraries in the age of fascism." allanamayer.tumblr.com, 8 Feb. 2017.
- Mayer, Allana. "Canadian Libraries in the 45th US Presidency: An Actionable Guide." BCLA Perspectives, vol. 9, no. 2, May 2017.
- Weiss, Suzannah. "Margaret Atwood Is Calling on All of Us to Defend Libraries." glamour.com, 1 June 2017.