Marie-Claude Larivière, PhD
PhD Entomology (McGill University, Montréal, Canada, 1990), Systematics revision of the genus Brochymena (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae)
BSc (Hons) Agricultural Sciences / Zoology Major (McGill University, Montréal, Canada, 1986)
Landcare Research / New Zealand Arthropod Collection, Private Bag 92170, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Research Scientist, Insect Taxonomist
Curator of Hemiptera, New Zealand Arthropod Collection (NZAC)
Years as a practising researcher 29
Number of publications 146
- Taxonomy, distribution, natural history of true bugs, planthoppers, leafhoppers, treehoppers, cicadas (Hemiptera, excluding Sternorrhyncha)
- Biodiversity Informatics, especially
- cybertaxonomy (or e-taxonomy),
- computer-assisted biological illustration,
- semi/fully automated digital micro- and macro-imaging/photography using increased depth-of-field and stacking applications,
- online databases,
- interactive diagnostics
- Faunistics of ground-beetles (Carabidae)
- South Pacific Heteroptera
Professional positions and responsibilities (1986-)
Research scientist / curator, Taxonomist & Curator of Hemiptera, Landcare Research, New Zealand Arthropod Collection, Auckland (1992-present)
Editorial board member / associate editor, Fauna of New Zealand series, Landcare Research (1994-present)
Partner, Centre for Biodiversity and Biosecurity (Joint Graduate School), Landcare Research-University of Auckland (2005-present)
Project leader-manager / co-manager, New Zealand Arthropod Collection: Databases (1995-2005, 2011-2017) / Digital Imaging Facilities (2000-2017)
Project Leader / co-primary investigator, Landcare Research & Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) New Zealand, fast-track MPI operational funding project: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug online surveillance tool.
Project leader / principal investigator, TFBIS (Terrestrial & Freshwater Biodiversity Information System) projects: Online identification keys to New Zealand Heroptera
Research group leader, Invertebrate Systematics Research Group, including New Zealand Arthropod Collection (Landcare Research)
- Research programme: Depicting the New Zealand Land Biota* (Systematics Research, Fauna of New Zealand Series, New Zealand Arthropod Collection & National Nematode Collection of New Zealand), associated commercial research and consultancy.
Personnel/line manager, Invertebrate Systematics Group, including New Zealand Arthropod Collection (Landcare Research)
- Line management of 12 permanent staff (technicians to senior scientists), other research associates, and students.
Director, New Zealand Arthropod Collection (including National Nematode Collection of New Zealand), Landcare Research.
Principal co-investigator with Crop & Food Research, Lincoln, New Zealand: TFBIS (Terrestrial & Freshwater Biodiversity Information System), Department of Conservation: Aphids databasing project.
Project leader / principal co-investigator with Institut Agronomique Néo-Calédonien, La Foa (New Caledonia), Agence Française de Développement, Fonds du Pacifique: Inventory of insect pests (order Hemiptera) on New Caledonian crops.
Project leader / principal investigator, TFBIS (Terrestrial & Freshwater Biodiversity Information System) projects: Virtual Identification of Cicadas; Virtual Identification of Ground-Beetle genera.
Principal co-investigator, Landcare Research & New South Wales Dept. of Primary Industries & Univ. Sydney-Charles Sturtt University: Taxonomy & phylogeny of Australian planthoppers of the family Cixiidae.
Project leader, Development of BioAssist facility (BIOdiversity ASSessment using Information Systems & Taxonomy).
Programme leader, FRST* programme ‘Biosystematics of New Zealand Land Invertebrates’: Invertebrate Systematics, Fauna of NZ Series.* FRST = Foundation for Research Science & Technology, became the Ministry of Science and Innovation, and now the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment
Acting programme leader / objective Leader, FRST* programme ‘Biosystematics of New Zealand Land Invertebrates’: Invertebrate Systematics, Fauna of NZ Series. Hemiptera systematics, Collection Databases.* FRST = Foundation for Research Science & Technology, became the Ministry of Science and Innovation, and now the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment
Postdoctoral research fellow, Canadian National Collection of Insects & Arachnids, Agriculture Canada, Ottawa (appointment funded by Fonds pour la Formation des Chercheurs et l'Aide à la Recherche (FCAR), Québec): Biosystematics of beneficial Hemiptera (Nabidae).
Lecturer & computer consultant: Database management (Collège de Valleyfield) / Magisystem International, Valleyfield, Québec.
Part-time faculty lecturer (biology)/Teaching assistant/Doctoral researcher, McGill University, Montréal, Québec (research funded by the National Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada).
Special grants/awards/membership of societies, institutions, committees
- Memberships: Centre for Systematics Entomology, Gainesville, Florida, USA (2014-present), New Zealand Entomological Society (1997-present), Australian Entomological Society, Association of Systematic Biologists (1997–2017), Royal Society of New Zealand (1992–2006), Entomological Society of America (1981–2004)Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) New Zealand, fast-track operational funding, Brown Marmorated Stink Bug online surveillance tool (2015-2016)
- TFBIS (Terrestrial & Freshwater Biodiversity Information System) grants, 4 projects for Landcare Research, 1 in collaboration with Plant & Food Research, New Zealand (2004-2013)
- Agence Française de Développement, Fonds du Pacifique, science grant ( 2006-2007)
- Australian Biological Resources Survey (ABRS) research grant (jointly with New South Wales Dept. of Primary Industries & Univ. of Sydney-Charles Sturt University) (2003–2005)
- Landcare Research Manaaki-Tangata Fellowship (2001–2002)
- Commonwealth Research Council travel award (1997)
- Editorial board: Fauna of New Zealand series (1994–present)
- New Zealand Lottery Board: 2 science grants (1993, 1994)
- Fonds pour la Formation des Chercheurs et l'Aide à la Recherche (FCAR), Québec, Postdoctoral fellowship (1990)
- National Sciences & Engineering Research Council, Canada: Research award, 1986 & 4 postgraduate scholarships (1986–1990)
- Student co-supervisions: 2 PhDs, systematics (Lincoln Univ., New Zealand; Univ. Sydney-Charles Sturt University, Australia); 1 MSc, invertebrate ecology (Auckland Univ.); 1 Diploma, bio-indicators (UNITEC, Auckland) (1990s-early 2000s)
- External peer-reviewer for a range of science journals including Zootaxa (1990-present)
- Honorary fellow, Fonds pour la Formation des Chercheurs et l'Aide à la Recherche (FCAR), Québec, 2 Bourses d'Etudes Supérieures [postgraduate fellowships] (1986-1989)
- McGill University: 5 faculty awards; Honorary Fellow, 2 McGill Univ. Graduate Fellowships (1986-1987)