Ph.D. Lehigh Univ., 2008
M.S. Univ. of New Mexico, 1999
B.A. Whitman College, 1996
I'm always interested in hearing from self-motivated students looking to join our research group.
Please contact me or the students currently working with me for more information
office ph: +1-919-515-0380
This could be your office... well at least part of the year!
...and this is how you might commute to work...
Current Graduate Students
Ph.D. student: 2016 - present
Research: Planetary surface processes and Geoscience Education ; co-advised by Dr. Paul Byrne (NCSU)
Ph.D. student: 2013 - present
Research: Climatic and Tectonic Geomorphology of the Hangay Mountains, central Mongolia
Ph.D. student 2013 - present
Research: Lidar geoarchaeology and sinkhole detection; co-advised by Dr. Del Bohnenstiehl (NCSU)
Col. Julian (Nuttman) Chesnutt
PhD student: 2015 - present
Research: Mass Wasting across the Solar System
MS student: 2015 - present
Research: Evaluating Steam Geomorphic and Water Quality Changes from Natural and Analog Beaver Dam Structures, Wake County, North Carolina
Current Undergraduate Students
Robert Lane Geology major (2016) - Landslide Legion - Comparing gradients in hillslope sediment flux, precipitation, and rock uplift across the Olympic Mountains
Austin Jacobs Geology major (2016) - Characterizing sand sources from lacustrine turbidites, Lake Crescent, Washington
Hallie Nunamaker Geology major (2016) - Characterizing sand sources from lacustrine turbidites, Lake Crescent, Washington
Alex Harriss Geology major (2017) - Evaluating the effectiveness of beaver impoundments for urban stream restoration, Wake County, North Carolina
Dustin Travels Geology major (2018) - Evaluating the effectiveness of beaver impoundments for urban stream restoration, Wake County, North Carolina
Former Students: Where are they now?
- Catelyn Joyner (2016): Lacustrine megaturbidites and displacement waves: the Holocene Earthquake History of the Lake Creek-Boundary Creek Fault at Lake Crescent, Washington, USA [M.S. Thesis]
- Stephen Smith (2016): Tectonic and climatic controls on landscape evolution in the Hangay Mountains, Mongolia and Olympic Mountains, USA [PhD Dissertation]
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Geology Department, Washington & Lee University [PhD Dissertation]
- Matthew Morriss (2015): Dynamic and Tectonic Landscapes in Eastern Oregon Reveal Neogene to Quaternary Rearrangement of Topography [M.S. Thesis]
- Ph.D. Student, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Oregon
- Nathan Lyons (2014): Hillslope-Stream Coupling in Tectonically Active and Inactive Regions [PhD Dissertation].
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Tulane University - Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Sean Gallen (2013): The Development of Topography in Ancient and Active Orogens: Case Studies of Landscape Evolution in the Southern Appalachians, USA and Crete, Greece [PhD Dissertation].
- Research and Teaching Faculty - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
- Mark Voli (2012):Tracing the Sources of Suspended Sediment Inputs to Falls Lake Reservoir, Neuse River, North Carolina [M.S. Thesis].
- Environmental Scientist at Dewberry Engineering, Fairfax, VA
- Robert Lewis (2011): The Lasting Impacts of Post-Colonial Agriculture and Water-Powered Milldams on Current Water Quality, Wake County, Raleigh, North Carolina [M.S. Thesis].
- Msc Student, Science and Religion, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.; Previously an Envionrmental Scientist at AECOM, Greenville, SC
- Jennifer Cessna 2009 Graduate Student - Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin
- Joseph Kasperski 2010 Geologist - Golder Associates, Richmond, VA
- Evan Riddle 2010 Graduate Student - Oregon State University
- Kelly Johnson 2011 Geologist, Mid Atlantic Associates, Inc., Raleigh, NC
- John Mass 2011 Geologist - AMEC Inc., Raleigh, NC
- Julie Johnston 2011 Owner & Geologist - Johnston & Bowman Geologic Consulting, Olympia, WA
- L. John Michaels 2011 Geologist, New Mexico Dept. of Transportation, Sante Fe, NM
- John DeDecker 2012 Graduate Student - Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
- Nathan Simmons 2012 Environmental Scientist - ECEA, Gastonia, NC
- Christopher Stanbery 2013 Graduate Student - Boise State University, ID