Ph.D. Lehigh Univ., 2008
M.S. Univ. of New Mexico, 1999
B.A. Whitman College, 1996
I'm always interested in hearing from self-motivated students looking to join our research group.
Please contact me or the students currently working with me for more information
office ph: +1-919-515-0380
This could be your office... well at least part of the year!
...and this is how you might commute to work...
Steve Smith, Karl Wegmann, Nathan Lyons, and Gantulga Bayasgalan (2013)
with the highest peak in the Hangay Mountains, Otgon Tenger Uul, in the distance
Current Graduate Students
Ph.D. student: 2013 - present
Research: Mongolia - Climatic and Tectonic Geomorphology of the Hangay Mountains, central Mongolia
Ph.D. student 2013 - present
Research: Lidar geoarchaeology and sinkhole detection; co-advised by Dr. Del Bohnenstiehl (NCSU)
M.S. student: 2014 - present
Research: Post-glacial chronology of earthquake triggered landslides along the Lake Creek - Boundary Creek Fault, north Olympic Peninsula, Washington State; Co-advised by Dr. Elana Leithold (NCSU)
Col. Julian (Nuttman) Chesnutt
PhD student: 2015 - present
Research: TBD - planetary surface processes and remote sensing
MS student: 2015 - present
Research: Anthropogenic geomorphology and environmental impacts of legacy sediment in Wake County, NC
Current Undergraduate Students
Robert Lane Geology major (2016) - Landslide Legion - Comparing gradients in hillslope sediment flux, precipitation, and rock uplift across the Olympic Mountains
Austin Jacobs Geology major (2016) - Characterizing sand sources from lacustrine turbidites, Lake Crescent, Washington
Hallie Nunamaker Geology major (2016) - Characterizing sand sources from lacustrine turbidites, Lake Crescent, Washington
Alex Harriss Geology major (2017) - Evaluating the effectiveness of beavers impoundments for urban stream restoration, Wake County, North Carolina
Former Students: Where are they now?
- Stephen Smith (2016): Tectonic and climatic controls on landscape evolution in the Hangay Mountains, Mongolia and Olympic Mountains, USA [PhD Dissertation]
- Visiting Assistant Professor (starting August 2016), Geology Department, Washington & Lee University
- Matthew Morriss (2015): Dynamic and Tectonic Landscapes in Eastern Oregon Reveal Neogene to Quaternary Rearrangement of Topography [M.S. Thesis]
- Ph.D. Student, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Oregon
- Nathan Lyons (2014): Hillslope-Stream Coupling in Tectonically Active and Inactive Regions [PhD Dissertation].
- Research Scientist - Utah State University; NC State University
- Sean Gallen (2013): The Development of Topography in Ancient and Active Orogens: Case Studies of Landscape Evolution in the Southern Appalachians, USA and Crete, Greece [PhD Dissertation].
- Research and Teaching Faculty - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
- Mark Voli (2012):Tracing the Sources of Suspended Sediment Inputs to Falls Lake Reservoir, Neuse River, North Carolina [M.S. Thesis].
- Environmental Scientist at Dewberry Engineering, Fairfax, VA
- Robert Lewis (2011): The Lasting Impacts of Post-Colonial Agriculture and Water-Powered Milldams on Current Water Quality, Wake County, Raleigh, North Carolina [M.S. Thesis].
- Msc Student, Science and Religion, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.; Previously an Envionrmental Scientist at AECOM, Greenville, SC
- Jennifer Cessna 2009 Graduate Student - Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin
- Joseph Kasperski 2010 Geologist - Golder Associates, Richmond, VA
- Evan Riddle 2010 Graduate Student - Oregon State University
- Kelly Johnson 2011 Geologist, Mid Atlantic Associates, Inc., Raleigh, NC
- John Mass 2011 Geologist - AMEC Inc., Raleigh, NC
- Julie Johnston 2011 Owner & Geologist - Johnston & Bowman Geologic Consulting, Olympia, WA
- L. John Michaels 2011 Geologist, New Mexico Dept. of Transportation, Sante Fe, NM
- John DeDecker 2012 Graduate Student - Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
- Nathan Simmons 2012 Environmental Scientist - ECEA, Gastonia, NC
- Christopher Stanbery 2013 Graduate Student - Boise State University, ID