Health Economics, Economics of Prevention, Disparities & Vulnerable Populations, Health Services Research, Health Policy, Labor Economics
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
1. Nguyen, O.K., Vazquez, M., Charles, L., Berger, J., Quinones, H., Fuquay, R. Sanders, J., Kapinos, K.A., Halm, E., and Makam, A. (forthcoming). “Effect of Scheduled vs. Emergency-Only Dialysis on Health Outcomes & Costs in Undocumented Immigrants with End-Stage Renal Disease. JAMA Internal Medicine. Published online December 21, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.5866
2. Kapinos, K.A., Fischer, S., Mulcahy, A., Hayden, O, and Barron, R. (forthcoming).“Medical Costs for Osteoporosis-Related Fractures Among High-Risk Medicare Beneficiaries” Journal of American Geriatrics Society.
3. Kapinos, K.A., Bullinger, L., and Gurley-Calvez, T. (2018). “The Affordable Care Act, Breastfeeding, and Breast Pump Health Insurance Coverage.” JAMA Pediatrics. Published online September 10, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2018.2003
4. Strong, A., Gracner, T., Chen, P., and Kapinos, K. (2018) “On the Value of the Umbilical Cord Blood Supply” Value in Health.
5. Kapinos, K.A., Yakusheva, O., and Weiss, M. (2017) “Cesarean Deliveries and Maternal Weight Retention,” BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 17(1).
6. Gurley-Calvez, T., Bullinger, L., and Kapinos, K.A. (2018) “Effect of the Affordable Care Act on Breastfeeding Outcomes,” American Journal of Public Health, 108(2).
7. Fischer, S. Kapinos, K.A., Mulcahy, A., Pinto, L., Hayden, O., and Barron, R. (2017) “Estimating the Long-Term Functional Burden of Osteoporosis-Related Fractures,” Osteoporosis International. doi: 10.1007/s00198-017-4110-4
8. Yakusheva, O., Kapinos, K.A., and Weiss, M. (2017) “Maternal Weight after Childbirth versus Aging-related Weight Changes,” Women’s Health Issues. 27(2): 174-180.
9. Kapinos, K.A., Bullinger, L., and Gurley-Calvez, T. (2017) “Lactation Support Services and Breastfeeding Initiation: Evidence from the Affordable Care Act,” Health Services Research, 52(6):2175-2196.
10. Kapinos, K.A. and Yakusheva, O. (2016) “Long-Term Effect of Exposure to a Friend’s Adolescent Childbirth on Fertility, Education and Earnings,” Journal of Adolescent Health, 59(3): 311-317.
11. Hamman, M.K. and Kapinos, K.A. (2016). “Colorectal Cancer Screening and State Health Insurance Mandates,” Health Economics, 25(2), 178-191.
12. Kapinos, P., Gurley-Calvez, T., and Kapinos, K. (2016). (Un)expected housing price changes: Identifying the drivers of small business finance. Journal of Economics and Business, 84, 79-94.
13. Hamman, M. and Kapinos, K.A. (2015). “Affordable Care Act Provision Lowered Out-Of-Pocket Cost And Increased Colonoscopy Rates Among Men In Medicare” Health Affairs, 34(12): 2069-2076.
14. Kapinos, K.A., Caloyeras, J., Liu, H., and Mattke, S. (2015) “Does targeting higher health risk employees or increasing intervention intensity yield savings in a workplace wellness program?” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 57(12): 1257-1261.
15. Hamman, M.K. and Kapinos, K.A. (2015). “Does Mandated Coverage of Preventive Care Reduce Disparities? Evidence from Colorectal Cancer Screening,” American Journal of Public Health, 105(S3): S508-S516.
16. Gurley-Calvez, T., Kapinos, K., and Bruce, D. (2015). “Retirement, Recessions, and Small Business Owners” in Natalie Sappleton and Fernando Lourenco (eds.), Self-employment, Entrepreneurship and Retirement, 11-41.
17. Kapinos, K.A., Yakusheva, O., and Eisenberg, D. (2014) “Obesogenic Influences on Young Adults: Evidence from Randomized Dormitory Assignments.” Economics & Human Biology. 12(1): 98-109.
18. Yakusheva, O., Kapinos, K.A., and Eisenberg, D. (2014). “Estimating Heterogeneous and Hierarchical Peer Effects on Body Weight Using Roommate Assignments as a Natural Experiment.” Journal of Human Resources, 49(1): 234-261.
19. Kapinos, K.A. (2012). “Changes in Firm Pension Policies: Trends Away from Traditional Defined Benefit Plans” Journal of Labor Research, 33(1): 91-103.
20. Kapinos, K.A., Fitzgerald, P., Greer, N., Rutks, I., and Wilt, T. (2012). “The Effect of Working Conditions on Patient Care: A Systematic Review” Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research & Development Service, Evidence-based Synthesis Program. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK114450/
21. Kapinos, K. A. and Yakusheva, O. (2011). “Environmental Influences on Adolescent Weight Gain: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,” Journal of Adolescent Health, 48(1): 52-58.
22. Yakusheva, O., Kapinos, K.A., and Weiss, M. (2011). “Peer Effects and the Freshman 15: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,” Economics & Human Biology, 9(2): 119-132.
23. Kapinos, K. A. (2009). “Changes in Spousal Health Insurance Coverage and Female Labor Supply Decisions.” Forum for Health Economics and Policy, 12(2), Article 1.
24. Kapinos, K. A. (2009). “On the Determinants of Defined Benefit Pension Plan Conversions.” Journal of Labor Research, 30(2):149-167.
OTHER PEER-REVIEWED REPORTS
Kapinos, K.A., Doyle, M., Barrett, M., Montemayor, C.K., Mulcahy, A., and Quigley, D. (forthcoming). “Access to Medical Treatment for Injured Workers in California: Year 2 Annual Report.” Santa Monica, CA. RAND Corporation, RAND Report.
Mulcahy, A.W., Wynn, B., Kapinos, K.A., Dworsky, M., Rennane, S., Rao, P. Malsberger, R. and Case, S. (forthcoming). “Evaluation of SB 863 Medical Care Reforms.” Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. RAND Report.
Mulcahy, A.W., Doyle, M., Malsberger, R., and Kapinos, K.A. (2018). “Access to Medical Treatment for Injured Workers Study” Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. RAND Report. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2413.html
Kapinos, K.A., Briscombe, B., Gracner, T., Strong, A., Whaley, C., Hoch, E., Hlvaka, J., Case, S., and Chen, P. (2017) "Challenges to the Sustainability of the U.S. Public Cord Blood System." Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. RAND Report. Brief: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9977.html
Mulcahy, A.W., Kapinos, K.A., Briscombe, B., Uscher-Pines, L., Chaturvedi, R., Case, S.R., Hlavka, J., and Miller, B.M. (2016). “Toward a Sustainable Blood Supply in the United States. An Analysis of the Current System and Alternative for the Future.” Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. RAND Report. Brief: http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9939.html
Brown K., Shetty K., Beleche T., Cefalu M., Kapinos K., Rutter C., Kress A., and Ross R. (2015). "Enrollment and Reliance. In Current and Projected Characteristics and Unique Health Care Needs of the Patient Population Served by the Department of Veteran Affairs." Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. RAND Report.
Mattke, S., Kapinos, K., Caloyeras, J.P., Taylor, E.A., Batorsky, B., Liu, H., Van Busum, K.R., and Newberry, S. (2014). Workplace Wellness Programs: Services Offered, Participation, and Incentives. RAND Report. Brief: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9842.html.
Gurley-Calvez, T., Kapinos, K. and Kapions, P. (2014). Housing Wealth and the Demand for Small-Business Capital among New Firms. Prepared for the US Small Business Administration, Office of Advocacy, Contract Number: SBAHQ-13-M-0054
Gurley-Calvez, T., Kapinos, K. and Bruce, D. (2012). Retirement, Recessions and Older Small Business Owners. Prepared for the US Small Business Administration, Office of Advocacy. Contract Number: SBAHQ-11-M-0207.
Kapinos, K.A., Brown, C.C., Nolte, M.A., Stolyarova, H., and Weir, D.R. (2010). Cross-Wave Prospective Social Security Wealth Measures of Pre-Retirees Public Release: Data Description and Usage. Available online at: http://hrsonline.isr.umich.edu/modules/meta/xyear/sswealth/desc/SSwealthP.pdf