- Please visit our research group's website [Embedded Intelligent Systems Lab] for up-to-date information on me and my group's research.
- I am searching for talented and enthusiastic students to work with! Feel free to contact me if you are interested in embedded and intelligent computing systems research. Before you do so, please take a look at my specific research areas and publications. Preference will be given to students with strong programming skills and some level of knowledge in embedded systems and/or machine learning. I currently have open positions for Postdocs,
Ph.D., masters, and undergraduate research students. Note: If you are wishing to pursue a graduate degree, contacting me will not assure you admission to the Yonsei University graduate program.
JeongGil Ko is an assistant professor in the School of Integrated Technology, College of Engineering at Yonsei University. He received his Bachelors in Engineering (B.Eng.) degree in computer science and engineering from Korea University in 2007 and received his Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in Computer Science from the Johns Hopkins University in 2012. At Johns Hopkins, JeongGil Ko was a member of the Hopkins interNetworking Research Group (HiNRG) led by Dr. Andreas Terzis. In 2010, he was at the Stanford Information Networking Group (SING) with Dr. Philip Levis at Stanford University as a visiting researcher. From June 2012 to August 2015, JeongGil Ko was a senior researcher at the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) and he was an assistant professor at the Department of Software and Computer Engineering at Ajou University from September 2015 to August 2019. He is a recipient of the Abel Wolman Fellowship awarded by the Whiting School of Engineering at the Johns Hopkins University in 2007 and a senior member of the IEEE since 2017. His research interests are in the general area of developing embedded and mobile computing systems with ambient intelligence.
- Mobile and ubiquitous computing system design for the Internet of Things
- Embedded and mobile sensor data-based machine learning application system design
- Deep learning model compression and optimization for embedded and mobile device operations
- Healthcare applications using mobile and embedded computing systems
- Interfacing humans with mobile sensing systems
- Ph.D., 2012, Department of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Dissertation: Designing a Low-power Mobile Sensing System for Wireless Healthcare Applications
- Advisor: Dr. Andreas Terzis
- PhD Defense Talk Flyer
- B.Eng., 2007, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
Research Experience / Employment History:
- Assistant Professor (Sep 2019 - ), School of Integrated Technology, College of Engineering, Yonsei University
- Assistant Professor (Sep 2015 - Aug 2019), Department of Software and Computer Engineering, Ajou University
- Adjunct Professor (Apr 2016 - Aug 2019), Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine, Ajou University
- Senior Researcher (Jun 2012 - Aug 2015), Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI)
- Visiting Researcher (Jan 2010 - Apr 2010), Stanford Information Networks Group, Stanford University (Supervisor: Dr. Philip Levis)
- Graduate Research Assistant (Sep 2007 - Apr 2012), Hopkins interNetworking Research Group, Johns Hopkins University (Advisor: Dr. Andreas Terzis)
- Undergraduate Research Intern (Dec 2005 - Feb 2007), Wireless Data Communications Lab, Korea University (Advisor: Dr. Hyogon Kim)
Research Community Services:
- Technical Program Committee (TPC):
- 2020: IEEE COMSNETS (PC Co-chair), ACM SenSys, IEEE SECON, IEEE ICDCS, IEEE WCNC, ICOIN, ICTC
- 2019: ACM MobiSys, ACM Digital Public Health, IEEE BSN, WellComp (Co-Chair), EarComp
- 2018: ACM MobiSys (ERC), EWSN, IEEE ICDCS, IEEE ICII, IEEE DCOSS, IEEE ICCCN, ACM Digital Health, IEEE MiSeNet, CitiFog, WellComp (Co-Chair)
- 2017: ACM MobiSys (ERC), ACM SenSys (EPC), ACM HotMobile , IEEE INFOCOM, EWSN, ICCCN, IEEE ICDCS, ACM Digital Health
- 2016: IEEE INFOCOM, IEEE SECON, EWSN, ACM Digital Health
- 2015: IEEE SECON, IEEE ICDCS , BodyNets , ACM Digital Health, ACM MCSS , IoT-App
- 2014: IEEE SECON, BodyNets, ACM SmartHealthSys, IEEE MASS, IEEE VTC
- 2013: IEEE SECON, BodyNets
- 2012: IEEE IoTech
- Journal Editorial Board
- Associate Editor, Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT)
- Editorial Board (IoT), Sensors Journal
- Publication Editorial Board, ICT Express
- ACM ASSET 2016, ACM ASSET 2018, WellComp 2018, WellComp 2019
- Local Arrangements Chair:
- ACM SenSys 2015, ACM BuildSys 2015, ACM MobiSys 2019
- Poster/Demo Chair:
- ACM/IEEE IPSN 2020, IEEE SECON 2020
- Publicity Chair:
- HotSmartCity 2013, ACM MobileHealth 2015, ACM MobiSys 2017, ACM MobiCom 2017, ACM HotMobile 2018, EWSN 2019
- Publications Chair:
- IEEE SECON 2013
- Web Chair:
- S-Cube 2011
- Work in Progress Chair
- IEEE RTCSA 2016
- Workshop Chair
- IEEE MDM 2017, ACM Ubicomp 2018, ACM ISWC 2018
- Special Event Chair
- ACM SenSys 2020
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE Network Mag, IEEE IoT Journal, IEEE Comm Mag, IEEE Comm Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE TMC, IEEE J-BHI, ACM TOSN, ACM MC2R, IEEE TITB, IEEE TII, IEEE TMBE, IEEE Comm Lett, IEEE Wireless Comm Mag, IEEE Access, and many others...
- Board of Directors for the Korean Institute of Communication and Information Sciences 2017-2019 (한국통신학회 이사)
- Board of Executive Directors for Institute of Embedded Engineering of Korea (IEMEK) 2016-2018 (대한임베디드공학회 상임이사)
- Board of Directors for the Korean Institute of Medical Informatics 2017-2018 (대한의료정보학회 이사)
- Eunseong Boo, Shahid Raza, Joel Höglund, JeongGil Ko. "FDTLS: Supporting DTLS-based Combined Storage and Communication Security for IoT Devices", IEEE MASS 2019.
- Huynh Nguyen Phan Sinh, Rajesh Balan, JeongGil Ko, Youngki Lee. "VitaMon: Measuring Heart Rate Variability Using the Smartphone Front Camera'', ACM SenSys 2019.
- Jaewon Choi, HyeonJung Park, Jeongyeup Paek, Rajesh Balan, JeongGil Ko. "LpGL: Low-power Graphics Library for Mobile AR Headsets", ACM MobiSys 2019.
- Jungmo Ahn, Hyungi Kim, Eunha Kim, JeongGil Ko. "Designing a Low-Cost IoT Sensing Platform for VOC Material Classification", IEEE DCOSS 2019.
- Jungmo Ahn, Huynh Nguyen Loc, Rajesh K. Balan, Youngki Lee, JeongGil Ko. "Finding Small Bowel Lesions: Challenges in Endoscopy Image-based Learning Systems", IEEE Computer, 2018.
- Huynh Nguyen Phan Sinh, Seungmin Kim, JeongGil Ko, Rajesh K. Balan, Youngki Lee. "EngageMon: Multi-Modal Engagement Sensing for Mobile Games", ACM IMWUT/Ubicomp 2018.
- Hyung-sin Kim, David Culler, JeongGil Ko, Jeongyeup Paek. "Challenging the IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (RPL): A Survey", IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, 2017.
- Jaeyeon Park, Woojin Nam, Tae Young Kim, Jaewon Choi, Sukhoon Lee, Dukyong Yoon, Jeongyeop Paek, JeongGil Ko. "Glasses For the Third Eye: Improving the Quality of Clinical Data Analysis with Motion Sensor-based Filtering", ACM SenSys 2017.
- Hee Jung Yoon, Ho-Kyeong Ra, Can Basaran, Sang Hyuk Son, Taejoon Park, JeongGil Ko. "Fuzzy Bin-based Classification for Detecting Children's Presence with 3D Depth Cameras", ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 2017.
- Ho-Kyeong Ra, Jungmo Ahn, Hee Jung Yoon, Dukyong Yoon, Sang Hyuk Son, JeongGil Ko. "I am a Smartwatch, Smart Enough to Know the Accuracy of My Own Heart Rate Sensor", ACM HotMobile 2017.
- Hyung-sin Kim, JeongGil Ko, Saewoong Bahk. "Smarter Markets for Smarter Life: Applications, Challenges and Deployment Experiences", IEEE Communications Magazine, 2017.
- Yongtae Park, Jihun Ha, Hyogon Kim, JeongGil Ko. "Enabling Sensor Network to Smartphone Interaction using Software Radios", ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 2016.
- Ki-Song Lee, JeongGil Ko. "Wireless Information and Power Transfer: Probability-based Power Allocation and Splitting with Low-complexity", IEEE Systems Journal, 2016.
- Joon-Gyum Kim, Chia-Wei Wu, Alvin Chiang, JeongGil Ko, Sung-Ju Lee. "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Improving Mobile Messaging with Real-time Autonomous Image Selection", ACM HotMobile 2016.
- Jeongyeup Paek, JeongGil Ko, "K-Means Clustering based Data Compression Scheme for Wireless Imaging Sensor Networks", IEEE Systems Journal, 2015.
- Hyung-Sin Kim, Hosoo Cho, Myung-sup Lee, Jeongyeup Paek, JeongGil Ko, Saewoong Bahk, "MarketNet: An Asymmetric Transmission Power-based Wireless System for Managing e-Price Tags in Markets", ACM SenSys 2015.
- JeongGil Ko, Jongsoo Jeong, Jongjun Park, JongArm Jun, Omprakash Gnawali, Jeongyeup Paek, "DualMOP-RPL: Supporting Multiple Modes of Downward Routing in a Single RPL Network", ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 2015.
- Homin Park, Jongjun Park, Hyunhak Kim, Jongarm Jun, Sang Hyuk Son, Taejoon Park, JeongGil Ko. "ReLiSCE: Utilizing Resource-limited Sensors for Office Activity Context Extraction", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 2015.
- JeongGil Ko, Marcus Chang. "MoMoRo: Providing Mobility Support for Low-power Wireless Applications", IEEE Systems Journal, 2015.
- Can Basaran, Hee Jung Yoon, Ho Kyeong Ra, Sang Hyuk Son, Taejoon Park, JeongGil Ko. "Classifying Children with 3D Depth Cameras for Enabling Children's Safety Applications", ACM UbiComp 2014.
- Jongsoo Jeong, Jongjun Park, Hoon Jeong, JongArm Jun, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, JeongGil Ko. “Low-Power and Topology-Free Data Transfer Protocol with Synchronous Packet Transmissions”, IEEE SECON 2014.
- Yongtae Park, Jihun Ha, Seungho Kuk, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Hyogon Kim, JeongGil Ko. "A Feasibility Study and Development Framework Design for Realizing Smartphone-based Vehicular Networking Systems", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2014.
- Yongtae Park, Jiuong Yu, JeongGil Ko, Hyogon Kim. "Software Radio on Smartphones: Feasible?", ACM HotMobile 2014.
Major Research Projects (Project Details):
- Intelligent Sensing Systems
- VOCkit: VOC-recognizing IoT system development
- EngageMon: Multi-modal engagement sensing for mobile games
- SmartEndo: Real-time data analysis for smart capsule endoscopy
- SmartHR: Self-classifying smartwatch hear rate sensor accuracy
- MediSense: Improving clinical data quality using on-bed motion sensors
- MarketNet: Enabling electronic price tagging in indoors marketplaces
- ReLiSCE: Resource limited sensor-based context extraction
- ChildSafe: Detecting children's' presence using 3D depth cameras
- MEDiSN: A multi-tiered wireless sensing system for real-time physiological signal data collection
- Mobile Computing and AR/VR Systems
- LpGL: Energy-efficient graphics support for mobile AR/VR headsets
- XREmul: Providing an effective input emulation environment for AR/VR application development
- Vision Assistance Glass: Designing a wearable headset for vision therapy assistance
- VoCell: Smartphone application development framework for vehicular networking applications
- Energy-aware Miracast: Improving mobile video codecs for energy efficient operations
- Embedded Networked Systems and Software Design
- FDTLS: Supporting DTLS-based storage and network security for IoT systems
- SecureIoT: Certificate-based Security for Resource-constrained Internet of Things
- iSDR: Supporting software radios on smartphones with efficient processing and energy consumption
- PEASST: Point-to-point Packet Exchange with Asynchronous Sleep and Synchronous Transmissions
- Egs Platform: A high-end mote platform design based on a ARM Cortex-M3 32-bit microcontoller
- IETF Routing Protocol for Low-power and Lossy Networks (RPL) Protocol Design and Enhancements
- Downwards RPL Enhancements: Improving the efficiency of RPL's downwards routing capabilities
- DualMOP-RPL: Supporting multiple modes of operation for RPL networks
- MoMoRo: Mobile-to-mobile routing for IPv6-based low-power and lossy wireless networks
- TinyRPL: TinyOS implementations of the IPv6 RPL routing protocol
Primarily Advised Students
- Jaeyeon Park (Ph.D. Student)
- Jaewon Choi (Ph.D. Student)
- Eunseong Boo (Ph.D. Student)
- HyeonJung Park (MS. Student)
- Jungmo Ahn (Ph.D @ Ajou University) 2017 -
- Seungmin Kim (MS. Graduated 2020, Initial position: TBD)
- Woojin Nam (MS. Graduated 2019, Initial position: KT)
- Hyuksang Kwon (MS. Graduated 2018, Initial position: mBrain)
- Nakhyun Kim (MS. Graduated 2016, Initial position: SK Hynix)
- Taehwan Kim (BS Student - Buknell University)
- Huynh Nguyen Phan Sinh (Ph.D Student - Singapore Management University)
Intern Students at ETRI or Collaborating Students
- Jisu Ha, Ajou University (MS Thesis Committee)
- Yongtae Park, Korea University
- Andrew H. Park, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology (PhD Thesis Committee, Initial position: National University of Singapore)
- Ho Kyeong (HK) Ra, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology (PhD Thesis Committee, Initial position: IBM Korea)
- Hee Jung (Sion) Yoon, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology (PhD Thesis Committee)
- Hyung-Sin Kim, Seoul National University
Awards and Honors:
- Best Poster Runner Up Award, COMSNETS 2020.
- Best Reviewer Award, ICT Express, 2019.
- Ajou Publication Award, Ajou University, 2019.
- Best Demo Award, ACM HotMobile 2019.
- Ajou Publication Award (Bronze), Ajou University, 2018.
- Best Paper Award, KICS Winter Conference 2018.
- Best Demo Award, ACM SenSys, 2015.
- Best Poster Award, IEEE SECON 2012.
- Student Travel Grant, IEEE SECON 2010.
- Abel Wolman Fellowship, Whiting School of Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2007-2008.
- College Scholarship, College of Information and Communications, Korea University, 2005-2006.
Research Community Memberships:
- IEEE (Senior Member), IEEE Communications Society
- TinyOS Core, net2, 15.4, ZigBee Working Groups
- KOCSEAA (Korean Computer Scientists and Engineers Association in America)
- KIISE (Korea Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers)
- Email: , jeonggil.ko [at] yonsei.ac.kr, jeonggil.ko [at] gmail.com, jgko [at] cs.jhu.edu,
jgko [at] ajou.ac.kr, jeonggil.ko [at] etri.re.kr, jgko [at] korea.ac.kr
- Previous Website: @Johns Hopkins
- Office Address:
- Rm 306, Vertitas C Hall, Yonsei University, 85 Songdogwahak-Ro, Yeonsu-Gu, Incheon Metropolitan City, South Korea, 21983.
- 인천광역시 연수구 송도과학로 85 (연세대학교) 진리관C 306호 (우: 21983)
- Office Phone: +82-32-749-5813