Department of Software and Computer Engineering, College of Information Technology
Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine (Joint Affiliation)
- Please visit our research group's website for up-to-date information. [Ajou Embedded Intelligent Systems Lab]
- I am searching for talented and enthusiastic students to work with! Feel free to contact me if you are interested in embedded and intelligent computing systems research. Before you do so, please take a look at my specific research areas and publications. Preference will be given to students with strong programming skills and some level of knowledge in embedded systems and/or machine learning. I currently have open positions for Ph.D., masters, and undergraduate research students.
JeongGil Ko received his Bachelors in Engineering (B.Eng.) degree in computer science and engineering from Korea University in 2007. He received his Master of Science in Engineering (M.S.E.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in Computer Science from the Johns Hopkins University in 2009 and 2012, respectively. At Johns Hopkins, JeongGil Ko was a member of the Hopkins interNetworking Research Group (HiNRG) led by Dr. Andreas Terzis. In 2010, he was at the Stanford Information Networking Group (SING) with Dr. Philip Levis at Stanford University as a visiting researcher. From June 2012 to August 2015, JeongGil Ko was a senior researcher at the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI). He is a recipient of the Abel Wolman Fellowship awarded by the Whiting School of Engineering at the Johns Hopkins University in 2007 and a senior member of the IEEE since 2017. His research interests are in the general area of developing embedded and mobile computing systems with ambient intelligence. JeongGil Ko is currently associated with the Department of Software and Computer Engineering, College of Information Technology and also jointly with the Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine at Ajou University as an assistant professor and leads the Ajou Embedded Intelligent Systems (AEIS) Laboratory.
- Ph.D., 2012, Department of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland. (PhD Defense Talk Flyer)
- Dissertation: Designing a Low-power Mobile Sensing System for Wireless Healthcare Applications
- B.Eng., 2007, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Designing Low-power Embedded Systems with Ambient Intelligence (e.g., Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS))
- IoT Systems for Supporting Cloud Computing Environments
- Sensor-based Context Recognition Systems
- Wireless Sensing System Development for Healthcare, Public Health, and Smart City Applications
- Design and Management of Heterogeneous Embedded Wireless Networks
- Design of Low-power Embedded Network Device Platforms and MAC/Routing/Security Protocols
- Management of (Mobile/Robotic) Sensor Network Deployments in Real-life Environments
Research Experience / Employment History:
- Assistant Professor (Sep 2015 - ), Department of Software and Computer Engineering, College of Information Technology, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea
- Assistant Professor (Joint affiliation as of Apr 2016), Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea.
- Senior Researcher (Mar 2015 - Aug 2015), Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI), Daejeon, Korea.
- Researcher (Jun 2012 - Feb 2015), Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI), Daejeon, Korea.
- Visiting Researcher (Jan 2010 - Apr 2010), Stanford Information Networks Group, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. (Supervisor: Dr. Philip Levis)
- Graduate Research Assistant (Sep 2007 - Apr 2012), Hopkins interNetworking Research Group, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. (Advisor: Dr. Andreas Terzis)
Research Community Services:
- Board of Directors for the Korean Institute of Communication and Information Sciences 2017-2019 (한국통신학회 이사)
- Board of Executive Directors for Institute of Embedded Engineering of Korea (IEMEK) 2016-2018 (대한임베디드공학회 상임이사)
- Board of Directors for the Korean Institute of Medical Informatics 2017-2018 (대한의료정보학회 이사)
- Technical Program Committee (TPC):
- 2019: ACM MobiSys 2019
- 2018: ACM MobiSys 2018 (External Review Committee), EWSN 2018, IEEE ICDCS 2018, IEEE ICII 2018, IEEE DCOSS 2018, IEEE ICCCN 2018, ACM Digital Health 2018, IEEE MiSeNet 2018, CitiFog 2018
- 2017: IEEE INFOCOM 2017, EWSN 2017, ACM MobiSys 2017 (External Review Committee), ACM HotMobile 2017, ACM SenSys 2017 (External PC), ICCCN 2017, IEEE ICDCS 2017, ACM Digital Health 2017
- 2016: IEEE INFOCOM 2016, EWSN 2016, IEEE SECON 2016, ACM Digital Health 2016
- 2015: IEEE SECON 2015, IEEE ICDCS 2015, BodyNets 2015, ACM Digital Health 2015, ACM MCSS 2015, IoT-App 2015
- 2014: IEEE SECON 2014, BodyNets 2014, ACM SmartHealthSys 2014, IEEE MASS 2014, IEEE VTC 2014,
- 2013: IEEE SECON 2013, BodyNets 2013
- 2012: IEEE IoTech 2012
- ACM ASSET 2016, 2018, WellComp 2018
- Local Arrangements Chair:
- Publicity Chair:
- Publications Chair:
- IEEE SECON 2013
- Web Chair:
- S-Cube 2011
- Work in Progress Chair
- IEEE RTCSA 2016
- Workshop Chair
- IEEE MDM 2017, ACM Ubicomp 2018, ACM ISWC 2018
- Journal Editorial Board
- Sensors (Editorial Board for IoT)
- ICT Express (Publication Editorial Board)
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE Network Mag, IEEE IoT Journal, IEEE Comm Mag, IEEE Comm Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE TMC, IEEE J-BHI, ACM TOSN, ACM MC2R, IEEE TITB, IEEE TII, IEEE TMBE, IEEE Comm Lett, IEEE Wireless Comm Mag, IEEE Access, and many others...
- Jungmo Ahn, Huynh Nguyen Loc, Rajesh K. Balan, Youngki Lee, JeongGil Ko. "Finding Small Bowel Lesions: Challenges in Endoscopy Image-based Learning Systems", IEEE Computer, 2018.
- Huynh Nguyen Phan Sinh, Seungmin Kim, JeongGil Ko, Rajesh K. Balan, Youngki Lee. "EngageMon: Multi-Modal Engagement Sensing for Mobile Games", ACM IMWUT/Ubicomp 2018.
- Hyung-sin Kim, David Culler, JeongGil Ko, Jeongyeup Paek. "Challenging the IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (RPL): A Survey", IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, 2017.
- Jaeyeon Park, Woojin Nam, Tae Young Kim, Jaewon Choi, Sukhoon Lee, Dukyong Yoon, Jeongyeop Paek, JeongGil Ko. "Glasses For the Third Eye: Improving the Quality of Clinical Data Analysis with Motion Sensor-based Filtering", ACM SenSys 2017.
- Hee Jung Yoon, Ho-Kyeong Ra, Can Basaran, Sang Hyuk Son, Taejoon Park, JeongGil Ko. "Fuzzy Bin-based Classification for Detecting Children's Presence with 3D Depth Cameras". ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), 2017.
- Ho-Kyeong Ra, Jungmo Ahn, Hee Jung Yoon, Dukyong Yoon, Sang Hyuk Son, JeongGil Ko. "I am a Smartwatch, Smart Enough to Know the Accuracy of My Own Heart Rate Sensor", ACM HotMobile 2017.
- Hyung-sin Kim, JeongGil Ko, Saewoong Bahk. "Smarter Markets for Smarter Life: Applications, Challenges and Deployment Experiences". IEEE Communications Magazine, 2017
- Yongtae Park, Jihun Ha, Hyogon Kim, JeongGil Ko. "Enabling Sensor Network to Smartphone Interaction using Software Radios". ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), 2016.
- Ki-Song Lee, JeongGil Ko. "Wireless Information and Power Transfer: Probability-based Power Allocation and Splitting with Low-complexity". IEEE Systems Journal, 2016.
- Joon-Gyum Kim, Chia-Wei Wu, Alvin Chiang, JeongGil Ko, Sung-Ju Lee. "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Improving Mobile Messaging with Real-time Autonomous Image Selection". ACM HotMobile 2016.
- Jeongyeup Paek, JeongGil Ko, "K-Means Clustering based Data Compression Scheme for Wireless Imaging Sensor Networks". IEEE Systems Journal, 2015.
- Hyung-Sin Kim, Hosoo Cho, Myung-sup Lee, Jeongyeup Paek, JeongGil Ko, Saewoong Bahk, "MarketNet: An Asymmetric Transmission Power-based Wireless System for Managing e-Price Tags in Markets". ACM SenSys 2015.
- JeongGil Ko, Jongsoo Jeong, Jongjun Park, JongArm Jun, Omprakash Gnawali, Jeongyeup Paek, "DualMOP-RPL: Supporting Multiple Modes of Downward Routing in a Single RPL Network". ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), 2015.
- Homin Park, Jongjun Park, Hyunhak Kim, Jongarm Jun, Sang Hyuk Son, Taejoon Park, JeongGil Ko. "ReLiSCE: Utilizing Resource-limited Sensors for Office Activity Context Extraction". IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 2015.
- JeongGil Ko, Marcus Chang. "MoMoRo: Providing Mobility Support for Low-power Wireless Applications". IEEE Systems Journal, 2015.
- Can Basaran, Hee Jung Yoon, Ho Kyeong Ra, Sang Hyuk Son, Taejoon Park, JeongGil Ko. "Classifying Children with 3D Depth Cameras for Enabling Children's Safety Applications". ACM UbiComp 2014.
- Jongsoo Jeong, Jongjun Park, Hoon Jeong, JongArm Jun, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, JeongGil Ko. “Low-Power and Topology-Free Data Transfer Protocol with Synchronous Packet Transmissions”. IEEE SECON 2014.
- Yongtae Park, Jihun Ha, Seungho Kuk, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Hyogon Kim, JeongGil Ko. "A Feasibility Study and Development Framework Design for Realizing Smartphone-based Vehicular Networking Systems". IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), 2014.
- Yongtae Park, Jiuong Yu, JeongGil Ko, Hyogon Kim. "Software Radio on Smartphones: Feasible?". ACM HotMobile 2014.
Major Research Projects (Project Details):
- IETF Routing Protocol for Low-power and Lossy Networks (RPL) Protocol Design and Enhancements
- Downwards RPL Enhancements: Improving the efficiency of RPL's downwards routing capabilities
- DualMOP-RPL: Supporting multiple modes of operation for RPL networks
- MoMoRo: Mobile-to-mobile routing for IPv6-based low-power and lossy wireless networks
- TinyRPL: TinyOS implementations of the IPv6 RPL routing protocol
- Embedded Networked Systems and Software Design
- LightCert: Light-weight certificates for resource-limited IoT platforms
- iSDR: Supporting software radios on smartphones with efficient processing and energy consumption
- PEASST: Point-to-point Packet Exchange with Asynchronous Sleep and Synchronous Transmissions
- Egs Platform: A high-end mote platform design based on a ARM Cortex-M3 32-bit microcontoller
- Sensing-centric Intelligent Systems
- VOCkit: VOC-recognizing IoT system development
- SmartHR: Self-classifying smartwatch hear rate sensor accuracy
- MediSense: Improving clinical data quality using on-bed motion sensors
- Energy-aware Miracast: Improving mobile video codecs for energy efficient operations
- MarketNet: Enabling electronic price tagging in indoors marketplaces
- Vision Therapy Assistance Glass: Designing a wearable platform for vision therapy assistance
- BlindTaxi: Providing taxi-reservation assistive systems for the visually impaired
- VoCell: Smartphone application development framework for vehicular networking applications
- ReLiSCE: Resource Limited Sensor-based Context Extraction
- ChildSafe: Detecting Children's' Presence using 3D Depth Cameras
- MEDiSN: A multi-tiered wireless sensing system for collecting physiological data from patients in the hospital and victims/first responders in disaster scenes
- Mobile Vision Systems
- LpGL: Energy-efficient graphics support for mobile AR/VR headsets
- XREmul: Providing an effective input emulation environment for AR/VR application development
Primarily Advised Students
- Seungmin Kim (Ph.D) 2016 -
- Jungmo Ahn (Ph.D) 2017 -
- Jaeyeon Park (Ph.D) 2017 -
- Jaewon Choi (Ph.D) 2017 -
- Eunseong Boo (Ph.D) 2018 -
- HyeonJung Park (Ph.D) 2019 -
- Seungchan Jeong (BS)
- Woojin Nam (MS. Graduated 2019, Initial position: KT)
- Hyuksang Kwon (MS. Graduated 2018, Initial position: mBrain)
- Nakhyun Kim (MS. Graduated 2016, Initial position: SK Hynix)
- Taehwan Kim (BS - Buknell University)
- Huynh Nguyen Phan Sinh (Ph.D - Singapore Management University)
Intern Students at ETRI or Collaborating Students
- Jisu Ha, Ajou University (MS Thesis Committee)
- Yongtae Park, Korea University
- Andrew H. Park, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology (PhD Thesis Committee)
- Ho Kyeong (HK) Ra, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology (PhD Thesis Committee)
- Hee Jung (Sion) Yoon, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology (PhD Thesis Committee)
- Hyung-Sin Kim, Seoul National University
Media Coverage on My Research:
- IEEE Press Release, "Wireless Sensor Networks Get Real with Real-World Applications in the November Issue of the Proceedings of the IEEE". Dec 01 2010 [link]
- Discovery Channel Technology Video, "Emergency Rooms Go Wireless". Apr 10 2010 [link]
Awards and Honors:
- Best Demo Award, ACM SenSys, 2015.
- Best Poster Award, IEEE SECON 2012.
- Student Travel Grant, IEEE SECON 2010.
- Abel Wolman Fellowship, Whiting School of Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2007-2008.
- College Scholarship, College of Information and Communications, Korea University, 2005-2006.
Research Community Memberships:
- TinyOS Core, net2, 15.4, ZigBee Working Groups
- IEEE (Senior Member), IEEE Communications Society
- KOCSEAA (Korean Computer Scientists and Engineers Association in America)
- KIISE (Korea Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers)
- Email: jgko [at] ajou.ac.kr, jeonggil.ko [at] gmail.com, jgko [at] cs.jhu.edu,
jeonggil.ko [at] etri.re.kr, jgko [at] korea.ac.kr
- Previous Website: @Johns Hopkins
- Office Address: Paldal Hall 604, Ajou University, 206 Worldcup-Ro, Yeongtong-Gu, Suwon, South Korea, 16499.
- Office Phone: +82-31-219-3815
- [PDF] Updated Mar 2018