Please click on an article's title to be directed to appropriate site for downloading
1. Hsu, N, Jaeggi, SM, & Novick, JM (in press). A common neural hub resolves syntactic and non-syntactic conflict through cooperation with task-specific networks. Brain and Language. [email Dr. Novick for a copy]
2. Mallikarjun, A., Newman, RS, & Novick, JM (in press). Exploiting the interconnected lexicon: Bootstrapping English language learning in young Spanish speakers. To appear in Translational Issues in Psychological Science.
3. Hussey, E, Harbison, JI, Teubner-Rhodes, SE, Mishler, A, Velnoskey, K, & Novick, JM (2017). Memory and language improvements following cognitive control training. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 43(1), 23-58.
4. Teubner-Rhodes, SE, Mishler, A, Corbett, R, Barrachina, LA, Sanz-Torrent, M, Trueswell, JC, & Novick, JM (2016). The effects of bilingualism on conflict monitoring, cognitive control, and garden-path recovery. Cognition, 150, 213-231.
5. Hsu, N & Novick, JM (2016). Dynamic engagement of cognitive control modulates recovery from misinterpretation during real time language processing. Psychological Science, 27, 572-582. doi:
6. Hsu NS, Novick JM, Jaeggi SM (2014). The development and malleability of executive control abilities. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience. 8:221. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2014.00221
7. Novick, JM, Hussey, E, Teubner-Rhodes, S, Harbison, JI, & Bunting, MF (2014). Clearing the garden-path: Improving sentence processing through cognitive control training. Language, Cognition, and Neuroscience, 29(2), 186-217. (Formerly Language and Cognitive Processes)
8. Kan, IP, Teubner-Rhodes, S., Nutile, L, Drummey, AB, Krupa, L, & Novick, JM (2013). To adapt or not to adapt: The question of domain-general cognitive control. Cognition, 129(3), 637-651.
9. Sprenger, A, Atkins, SM, Bolger, DJ, Harbison, JI, Novick, JM, Chrabaszcz, J, Weems, SA, Smith, V, Bobb, S, Bunting, MF, & Dougherty, MR (2013). Training working memory: Limits of transfer. Intelligence, 41, 638-663.
10. Slevc, LR & Novick, JM (2013). Memory and cognitive control in an integrated theory of language processing (commentary). Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 36(4), 373-374.
11. Hussey, EK & Novick, JM (2012). The benefits of executive control training and the implications for language use. Frontiers in Psychology, 3:158. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00158
12. Chrysikou, EG, Novick, JM, Trueswell, JC, & Thompson-Schill, SL (2011). The other side of cognitive control: Can a lack of cognitive control benefit language and cognition? Topics in Cognitive Science, 3, 253-256. [email Dr. Novick for a copy]
13. Novick, JM, Trueswell, JC, & Thompson-Schill, SL (2010). Broca’s area and language processing: Evidence for the cognitive control connection. Language and Linguistics Compass, 4(10), 906-924.
14. Novick, JM, Kan, IP, Trueswell, JC, & Thompson-Schill, SL (2009). A case for conflict across multiple domains: Memory and language impairments following damage to ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 26(6), 527-567.
15. Novick, JM, Thompson-Schill, SL, & Trueswell, JC (2008). Putting lexical constraints in context into the visual-world paradigm. Cognition, 107(3), 850-903.
16. Novick, JM, Trueswell, JC, & Thompson-Schill, SL (2005). Cognitive control and parsing: Re-examining the role of Broca’s area in sentence comprehension. Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience, 5(3), 263-281. ***FUN PAGE***
17. Novick, JM, Kim, AE, & Trueswell, JC (2003). Studying the grammatical aspects of word recognition: Lexical priming, parsing, and syntactic ambiguity resolution. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 32(1), 57-75.
18. Arnold, JE, Novick, JM, Brown-Schmidt, S, Eisenband, JG, & Trueswell, JC. (2001). Knowing the difference between girls and boys: The use of gender during on-line pronoun comprehension in young children. In Do, A.H., Dominguez, L., & Johansen, A. (Eds.). Proceedings of the 25th Boston University Conference on Language Development, Vols 1 & 2. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press, 59-69. [email Dr. Novick for a copy]
19. Tagamets, M-A, Novick, JM, Chalmers, ML, & Friedman, RB (2000). A parametric approach to orthographic processing in the brain: An fMRI study. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 12(2), 1-17.