From Around the Campfire, An illustrated History of Indooroopilly Scouts 1909– 1991 by Lexie Smiles.
Indooroopilly Scout Group was established in 1909 / 10 and is one of the oldest Scout Groups in Queensland. Our first leader was W.H.G Anderson, who was officially appointed in February 1910, but subsequently joined a breakaway group known as British Boy Scouts. He was replaced on 26th May 1910 by Lesleigh John ‘Pal’ Williams. Pal was Scout Master at Indooroopilly until 1937 and was still involved with Indooroopilly Scout Group as President and vice-president until 1970.
The Group was established at Pal William’s house in Ivy Street, Indooroopilly and worked from this location for 15 years. In 1925, the Group purchased three allotments of land on the river in Ivy Street to build a Den. The Group was destined to be on this site for 41 years.
In February 1966, the Group moved to our current location in Finney Road, Indooroopilly and into our current Den.
On the 1 August 1998, a large proportion of the Den was destroyed by fire. However, the Den was rebuilt and is still in regular use today.
More details and photos to follow ...