I am a Research Manager working in Silicon Valley.
I received my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University under the supervision of Prof. Fouad A. Tobagi. This page is designed for timely dissemination of research results.
Email: firstname.lastname AT accenture.com
or firstnamelastname AT cs.stanford.edu (permanent email)
Other ways to stay in touch: LinkedIn, blogs and twitter
(Alternatively: you can read the research page, which gives more background, motivation and high level summary of each research area)
Cloud Computing (current research):
- Huan Liu, "A Measurement Study of Server Utilization in Public Clouds", in Proc. Int. Conf. on Cloud and Green Computing (CGC), Sydney, Australia, Dec. 2011.
- Huan Liu, "Cutting MapReduce Cost with Spot Market", in Proc. USENIX HotCloud'11, Portland, OR, June 2011.
- Huan Liu, "Rapid Application Configuration in Amazon Cloud using Configurable Virtual Appliances", in Proc. 26th ACM SIGAPP SAC, Taiwan, Mar. 2011.
- Huan Liu, "Cloud Credential Vault", in Proc. The First International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization, Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 2010.
- Huan Liu, "A New Form of DOS Attack in a Cloud and Its Avoidance Mechanism", in Proc. CCSW'10, Chicago, Oct. 2010.
- Huan Liu, "Large-Scale Data Processing", book chapter in "Cloud Computing and Software Services: Theory and Techniques", July 2010, CRC Press
- Sewook Wee, Huan Liu, "Client-side Load Balancer using Cloud", in Proc. 25th ACM SIGAPP SAC, Sierre, Switzerland, Mar. 2010
- Huan Liu, Dan Orban, "Cloud MapReduce: a MapReduce Implementation on top of a Cloud Operating System", in Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, Newport Beach, CA, May, 2011.
- Huan Liu, Sewook Wee, "Web Server Farm in the Cloud: Performance Evaluation and Dynamic Architecture", in Proc. CloudCom, Beijing, China, Dec. 2009
- Huan Liu, Dan Orban, "Computing median values in a Cloud environment using GridBatch and MapReduce", in IEEE Cluster, New Orleans, Louisiana, Aug. 2009
- Huan Liu, Dan Orban, "Remote Network Labs: An On-Demand Network Cloud for Configuration Testing", in SIGCOMM WREN, Barcelona, Spain, Aug. 2009. Also appeared in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. 83. Volume 40, Number 1, January 2010.
- Huan Liu, Dan Orban, "GridBatch: Cloud Computing for Large-Scale Data-Intensive Batch Applications", in 8th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, Lyon, France, May, 2008
- Naini Gomes, Deepak Merugu, Gearoid O’Brien, Chinmoy Mandayam, Tom Yue, Berk Atikoglu, Adrian Albert, Norihiro Fukumotoz, Huan Liu, Balaji Prabhakar, Damon Wischik, "Steptacular: an incentive mechanism for promoting wellness", Networked Healthcare Technology (NetHealth), Bangalore, India, Jan. 2012.
- Huan Liu, Fouad A. Tobagi, "Traffic grooming in WDM SONET rings with multiple line speeds", in Journal on Selected Areas of Communication Apr., 2007
(this is a consolidation of various conference papers on this subject)
- Huan Liu, Fouad A. Tobagi, "Physical Topology Design for All-Optical Networks", in Proc. Third
International Conference on Broadband Communications, Networks,
and Systems (BroadNets) San Jose, CA, Oct., 2006, (A more complete version also appeared in Journal of Optical Switching and Networking)
- Huan Liu, Benjamin K. Chen, Fouad A. Tobagi, "Power-law Tradeoffs Between Optical and Electronic Switching", in Proc. IEEE
Infocom 2006, Barcelona, Spain (18%
- Huan Liu, Fouad A. Tobagi, "Traffic Grooming in WDM/SONET BLSR rings with multiple line speeds", in Proc. IEEE Globecom 2005, St. Louis,
- Huan Liu, Fouad A. Tobagi, "Traffic grooming in WDM SONET UPSR rings with multiple line speeds",
IEEE Infocom 2005, Miami, Florida
(17% acceptance ratio)
- Huan Liu, Fouad A. Tobagi, "A Novel Efficient Technique for Traffic Grooming in WDM SONET with Multiple Line Speeds", in Proc.
IEEE ICC 2004, Paris, France
Load-balanced network design:
- Huan Liu, Rui Zhang-Shen, "On Direct Routing in the Valiant Load-Balancing Architecture",
in Proc. IEEE Globecom 2005, St. Louis, Missouri
Network processor design:
Huan Liu, “Reducing Cache Miss Ratio for Routing Prefix Cache,” Proc.
Globecom, Taipei, Taiwan,
- Huan Liu, "A Trace Driven Study of Packet Level Parallelism", Proc. International Conference on Communications (ICC), New York,
- Huan Liu, "Routing Prefix Caching in Network Processor Design", Proc. International Conference on Computer Communications and
networks (ICCCN), Phoenix, AZ, 2001
Route lookup, packet classification:
"Efficient Mapping of Range Classifier into Ternary-CAM", Proc.
Hot Interconnect 10, Stanford,2002
Huan Liu, "Reducing Routing Table Size Using Ternary-CAM", Proc. Hot Interconnect 9, Stanford, CA, 2001. Also appeared in IEEE
Micro, Jan/Feb, 2002 [PDF]