SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry
The conference will take place in Daejeon, Korea, August 3-7th 2015. Here is the conference homepage. The list of proposed minisymposia is here.
The conference is supported by NSF travel grant DMS-1522597. To apply for travel support please visit the SIAM conference webpage.
I am an Associate Professor at Georgia Tech. My research is supported by NSF CAREER award DMS-1352073.
Applied Algebraic Geometry
My work focuses on the
interplay between convex and algebraic geometry, especially in the area
of sums of squares approximations to nonnegative polynomials. I am also
interested in the appearance of algebraic invariants in mathematical
Semidefinite Optimization and Convex Algebraic Geometry
Pablo Parrilo, Rekha Thomas and I edited "Semidefinite Optimization and Convex Algebraic Geometry", which is now out as Volume 13 in SIAM Optimization Series.
2012 IMA Summer Program in Algebraic Geometry for Applications
Together with Anton Leykin and Josephine Yu
I organized 3 week IMA sponsored graduate student summer program
in Algebraic Geometry for Applications. The dates for the program are
June 18--July 6th 2012.
Topics covered were: Polynomial Optimization and Real Algebraic Geometry,
Computer Algebra and Numerical Algebraic Geometry, and Tropical
Geometry. Further information about the program
can be found here.
Papers and Preprints
- “Extreme Rays of the Hankel Spectrahedra for Ternary Forms”, G. Blekherman, R. Sinn, arXiv:1406.1873, submitted for publication.
- “Gap Vectors of Real Projective Varieties”, G. Blekherman, S. Iliman, M. Juhnke-Kubitzke, M. Velasco, arXiv:1407.0585, to appear in Advances in Math.
- “Sums of Squares on the Hypercube”, G. Blekherman, J. Gouveia, J. Pfeiffer, arXiv:1402.4199, submitted for publication.
- "Sums of Squares and Varieties of Minimal Degree", G. Blekherman, G. Smith, M. Velasco, arXiv:1308.0751, to appear in Journal of the AMS.
- "Typical Real Ranks of Binary Forms", G. Blekherman, arXiv:1205.3257, Foundations of Computational Math, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10208-013-9174-8.
"Symmetric Nonnegative Forms and Sums of Squares", G. Blekherman, C. Riener, arXiv:1205.3102, submitted for publication.
"Positive Gorenstein Ideals", G. Blekherman,
arXiv:1203.3775, Proceedings of the AMS, http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-2014-12253-2.
- "The Truncated K-Moment Problem for Closure of Open Sets", G. Blekherman, J. B. Lasserre, Journal of Functional Analysis, Vol. 263(11) (2012), 3604–3616 arXiv:1108.0627.
- "Algebraic Boundaries of Hilbert's SOS Cones", G. Blekherman, J. Hauenstein, J. C. Ottem, K. Ranestad, B. Sturmfels, Compositio Mathematica, Vol. 148(6), 2012, 1717-1735, arXiv:1107.1846.
“Nonnegative Polynomials and Sums of Squares”, G. Blekherman, Journal of the AMS, 25, 2012, 617-635
- “Bioinformatics Tools for Cancer Metabolomics”, G. Blekherman, R. Laubenbacher, D. Cortes, P. Mendes, F. Torti, S. Akman, S. Torti and V. Shulaev, Metabolomics, Vol. 7, no. 3, 2011.
- "ADAM: Analysis of Discrete Models of Biological Systems Using Computer Algebra", F. Hinkelmann, M. Brandon, B. Guang, R. McNeill, G. Blekherman, A. Veliz-Cuba and R. Laubenbacher, BMC Bioinformatics Vol. 12, no. 1, 2011 arXiv:1012.0778.
- “Differential Gene Expression in Normal and Transformed Human Mammary Epithelial Cells in
Response to Oxidative Stress”, D. Cortes, W. Sha, V. Hower, G. Blekherman, R. Laubenbacher, S. Akman, S. Torti and V. Shulaev, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Vol. 50(11), no. 1, 2011, 1565-1574.
“Experimental Study of Energy-Minimizing Point Configurations on Spheres”, B. Ballinger, G. Blekherman, H. Cohn, N. Giansiracusa, E. Kelly, A. Schürmann, Experimental Mathematics, Vol. 18, no 3, 2009 arXiv:0611.5451.
“There are Significantly More Nonnegative Polynomials than Sums of Squares”, G. Blekherman, Israel Journal
of Mathematics, Vol. 153, 2006 arXiv:0402.5158.
“Convex Geometry of Orbits”, A. Barvinok and G. Blekherman, Combinatorial and Computational Geometry, MSRI Publications, Vol. 52, 2005 arXiv:0312.5268.
“Convexity Properties of The Cone of Nonnegative Polynomials”, G. Blekherman, Discrete and Computational Geometry, Vol. 32, no 3, 2004 arXiv:0211.5176.
“The Polyhedral Tammes Problem”, K. Bezdek, G. Blekherman, R. Connelly and B. Csikós, Archiv der Mathematik, Vol. 76, 2001.
“Danzer-Grünbaum’s Theorem Revisited”, K. Bezdek and G. Blekherman, Periodica Mathematica Hungarica, Vol. 39, 1999.
Slides from Recent Talks
SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry 2013 -- Plenary Talk
SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry 2013 -- Session on Tensor Decompositions
Conference on Mixed Integer Programming (MIP 2013)
- Combinatorics Seminar, University of Washington, January 2013.
- Algebraic Geometry Seminar, University of Chicago, January 2012.
- Algebraic Geometry Seminar, University of Michigan, October 2012.
- Tensors and their Geometry in High Dimensions, UC Berkeley, September 2012.
- MAA Invited Paper Session on Convex Algebraic Geometry, August 2012.
- SIAM Annual Meeting, Session on Convex
Algebraic Geometry and Optimization, July 2012
- MAA Invited Paper Session on Sum of Squares Polynomials in Optimization, Joint AMS-MAA Meetings, January 2012.
- Optimization Seminar, ISYE, Georgia Tech, December 2011.
- Algebraic Geometry Seminar, Emory University, September 2011.
- Algebraic Geometry Seminar, University of Georgia, September 2011.
- Combinatorial Methods in Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra, Max Planck Institute, July 2011.
- Applied Math Seminar. Institut de Mathématiques de Toulouse, June 2011.
SIAM Optimization Meeting. Session on Algebraic Geometry and Optimization. May 2011.
Algebraic Geometry Seminar. Università di Firenze. May 2001.
Long Program Seminar. Mittag-Leffler Institute. May 2011.
Workshop on Applications of Schubert Calculus. University of Iowa. March 2011.
Center for Computational Mathematics Seminar, UC San Diego, February 2011.
- Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra Seminar, UC Berkeley, December 2010.
Convex Optimization and Algebraic Geometry Workshop, IPAM, September 2010.
SIAM Annual Meeting, Session on Convex Algebraic Geometry, July 2010.
MTNS 2010, Session on Real Algebraic Geometry and Applications, July 2010.
Symbolic Computation Seminar, North Carolina State University, March 2010.
Workshop on Randomization, Relaxation, and Complexity, Banff International Research Station, February 2010.
Workshop on Convex Algebraic Geometry, Banff International Research Station, February 2010.
Math Department Colloquium, UC San Diego, October 2009.
Meeting of Focused Research Group on Semidefinite Optimization and Convex Algebraic Geometry, MIT, May 2009.
Math Department Colloquium. Hobart and William Smith Colleges, April 2009.
AMS Sectional Meeting, Session on Concrete Aspects of Positive Polynomials, Urbana-Champaign, March 2009.
Geometry Seminar, The Ohio State University, January 2009.
School of Mathematics
686 Cherry Street
Atlanta, GA 30332