HISTORY

This page will be added to as information becomes available.

At a party a while back I was told a story as follows: – That this area used to be called Mossmynyne [the spelling is open to interpretation], and that it became Hawksland because the monks from Lesmahagow Priory used to hunt around here with their hawks.

Well the information we have found so far bears out the first part; but we would suggest that the hunting was done by the nobility and gentry of the area, not by the monks!

Please see below for the story so far.


[1147] – There is a Hirdlaw on the outskirts of Moat property, which, it is known, was reclaimed from the Brockencross moor. Thievesford, also called Shieldknowe, is a farm on the Corehouse estate, recently united to Wellshields, and is in Mossminin El Corroc (Corehouse), Mossminin being the name by which Hawksland or Tenpound-land was generally known.

[1398 – 1400] Botaldus Wer was ballie of Lesmahagow in 1398-1400, and in the latter year
Abbot Fatiick, who styled him ” Well-beloved and faithful, and for his service to va ” granted to him the half of the church lands of Blackwodd and Dermoundyston, with the whole of Mossmynine. For Blackwood, he was to pay 3& 4d. annually, and for the other lands, 13s. 4d. {Ibid., 413, 524)
These lands were to be held by the said Kothald and his heirs-male, freely, quietly, and peaceably, with all conveniences, easements, and pertinents known and unknown, above ground and under ground, in wood and open, roads, footpaths, meadows and pastures, moors, marshes, lakes, and running waters, with fishing, hunting, and hawking, in feu and heritage for ever. 
That Mossmynine was an important possession is apparent, not only from the yearly payment required for it, but also from the circumstance that in 1316, a meeting took place at that manor, of “discreet and trustworthy men,” to arrange a dispute between Sir Alexander Folkard and the Abbot of Kelso, regarding Pollendle. {Ibid., 158, 195.) In the map which is attached to the ” Origines Parochiales Scotice,” Mossminin appears as a district of country between Harperfield and Coulteishogle, but what is known as Hawksland was originally called Mossminin.

[1400] The estate of Blackwood was confirmed by charter to Rothald Weir in 1400, but had been held by the family for some time previous to that charter. The Weir succession from Ralph de Vere down to Rothald Weir of Blackwood can be followed through each generation’s continued patronage to Kelso Abbey The Weirs/Veres of Stonebyres descended from a brother of Rothald of Blackwood, and the Weirs of Mossminion descended from a son of Rothald.

[1493] In 1493, Thomas Wer of Blackwood had a lawsuit with the Abbot of Kelso, about the lands of Mot, in Moss-myning, which he alleged belonged to him ; also regarding his intronussions with the lands of Coultershogle, and his failure to pay the third multure and duties to the mills of Mossmynine. The dispute was submitted to the Chancellor and Master of Angus. (Ibid., 313, 316.)

[Approx 1590] If, on his decease, Rothald Wer bequeathed his lands of Blackwood and Dermoundston to one of his sons, and the whole of Mossmynyne to another, it is easy to perceive how the parties should have been so “neir in bluid,” as the deed affirms them to be.

[1698] . — There having been application made to this Session by the
Magistrates of Lanark for a collection through this Paroch to help to build their
Bridge at Eirkfieldbank, the Session doth therefore appoint Thomas Whyte, elder,
and James Whyte in Stockbrigs, to collect between the waters; and John Whyte,
elder, and Thos. Brown, from the HiU to the Cumberhead; ……………………..etc etc; John Gilkerson and John Greenshields, deacons, for the Ten pound land ; ……..etc etc.

[Approx 1720] James Weir of Stonebyres was a Commissioner of Supply in 1678. In 1690, the bailie for the time being of Stonebyres had that honour conferred upon him, probably during the minority of the chief of the house. In 1696 and 1704, the “Laird” of Stonebyres was a Commissioner. (Scots Acts of Parl.) He was succeeded by his son, William Weir, in the estates of Stonebyres, which then comprehended, besides what is now known as Stonebyres Estate, Verehills, Greenrig, Taithes, Over Auchinleck or Affeck (now know by the name of Gillbank or Kilbank), Darnfillan, Boreland, Auldton, Hill, Cultershogle, Leelaw, Neuk of Leelaw, Mossminion, Brae, Moat, and Moatyett.

[1743] John JAMIESON was chr Nov 10 1743 in Bourtries in Lesmahagow Lanark Scotland.
Bourtries was a farm in what was known as the Ten Pound Land district of Lesmahagow Parish. It was about 3 miles SW of Lesmahagow village, in the area now known as Hawksland (this area was also known as Mossminion)

[1764] In 1764, Thomas Weir of Kerse as superior, granted a precept
of dare constat, in favour of James Weir of Hawkaland, of all and haill the two pleughs of the five merk land of Nether Poneill, called Saddlerhead.

Moss – old Scottish word meaning “A marsh, bog, a tract of soft wet ground”, hence Mossminion or Mossmynyne being largely an area of marsh or bog.


Comments