I graduated in Physics in 2002 with Massimo Palma at the University of Palermo (Italy) working on the influence of classical noise on the Berry phase. I then started in 2003 my PhD in Physics at the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa (Italy) under the supervision of Rosario Fazio.
At the beginning I worked on quantum information processing with spin networks. I devoted the second part of my PhD developing a time dependent density matrix renormalization group code (t-DMRG). It is freely distributed at this page. I used the code to study the superfluid-Mott insulator transition in one-dimensional spin-1 condensate and the dynamics of entanglement in critical spin chains.
After my PhD in 2006, I moved to BEC centre in Trento and worked mainly with Tommaso Calarco on implementation of quantum information processing with cold atoms. I particular we showed how the use of optimal control theory can enhance the fidelity of quantum gates with neutral atoms in optical lattices.
In 2007 I joined as a PostDoc the quantum optics group at the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain) leaded by Giovanna Morigi where I worked on ion crystals and ultracold atoms in cavities.
In October 2009 I moved to Anna Sanpera's group at the quantum information group at the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain). where I worked on spin chains and entanglement in one-dimensional systems.
In July 2011 I have started as a Lecturer at the Queen's University of Belfast in Quantum Technology group.
- Current position: Lecturer
- Short CV:
- Degree: 2002, Degree with merits in Phyisics, with Prof. G. Massimo Palma University of Palermo; Diploma Thesis: Berry's phase in the presence of classical noise
- PhD: 2003-2005 with Prof. Rosario Fazio, Scuola Normale Superiore
- Dissertation: Quantum Information, Entanglement and Critical Phenomena (download it here)
- 2006-2007 PostDoc at CNR-INFM-BEC & Univ. di Trento with Tommaso Calarco
- 2007-2009 PostDoc at Grup d'Optica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona with Giovanna Morigi
- 2009-2011 PostDoc (Juan de la Cierva fellow) at Grup de Informació Quàntica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona with Anna Sanpera.
- 2011- Lecturer at the Quantum Technologies group, Queen's University of Belfast
- Quantum Thermodynamics
- Quantum information & quantum computing
- Entanglement and QIT in solid state systems
- Quantum phase transitions in low dimensional systems
- Density matrix renormalization group and tensor networks
- Quantum optimal control
- Berry's phase and geometrical dephasing