I use applied econometrics to better understand manifestations and causes of spatial and social inequalities.
- Top of the Class: the Importance of Ordinal Rank, with Richard Murphy (UT Austin). The Review of Economic Studies (forthcoming). Earlier versions: NBER Working Paper No 24958, August 2018, CESifo Working Paper No. 4815, May 2014. LSE-Centre for Economic Performance Discussion Paper No 1241, 2013. Winning paper of the UniCredit & Universities Best Paper Award on Gender Economics - 6th Ed (2016). Check out this video!
- Neighbourhood Turnover and Teenage Attainment, with Steve Gibbons (LSE) and Olmo Silva (LSE). Journal of the European Economic Association 2017, vol. 15(4). Earlier versions: IZA Discussion Paper 8381 and LSE-Spatial Economics Discussion Paper 163. Check out this research cartoon!
- Social Housing, Neighborhood Quality and Student Performance, Journal of Urban Economics 2014, vol. 82: pp.12-31. Earlier versions: IZA Discussion Paper 7139 and LSE-Spatial Economics Discussion Paper 44.
- Everybody Needs Good Neighbours? Evidence from Students' Outcomes in England, with Steve Gibbons (LSE) and Olmo Silva (LSE). The Economic Journal 2013, vol. 123(571): pp. 831-874. Earlier versions: IZA DP No 5980, CEEDP0122.
- The Good, The Bad and The Average: Evidence on Ability Peer Effects in Schools, with Victor Lavy (Warwick) and Olmo Silva (LSE). Journal of Labor Economics 2012, vol. 20(2): pp. 367-414. Earlier versions: NBER Working Paper No 15600.
Peer-reviewed publications in German
- Deutschland: ein Land der Mieter? Die Rolle von Erwartungen über zukünftige Immobilienpreisentwicklungen, mit Niklas Gohl (Uni Potsdam), Peter Haan und Claus Michelsen (both DIW). Zeitschrift für Immobilienökonomie, 2019, vol. 5(1), 95-109.
- Working Life and Human Capital Investment: Causal Evidence from Pension Reform, with Niklas Gohl, Elisabeth Kurz and Peter Haan (all DIW), IZA DP12891, January 2020.
- Long-run Expectations of Households, with Christoph Breunig (Emory University), Iuliia Grabova (HU and DIW Berlin), Peter Haan (FU and DIW Berlin) and Georg Weizsäcker (HU and DIW Berlin), CRC TRR 190 DP 218, December 2019.
- Information Provision and Postgraduate Studies, with Jan Berkes, Frauke Peter and C. Katharina Spieß (all DIW), IZA DP12735, October 2019.
- Immigration and the Evolution of Local Cultural Norms, with Sophia Schmitz (Federal Ministry of Finance, Germany), IZA DP12509, July 2019.
- Class Rank and Long-Run Outcomes, with Jeffrey T. Denning (Brigham Young University) and Richard Murphy (UT Austin). IZA DP11808, September 2018. R&R Review of Economics and Statistics.
- Who teaches the teachers? A RCT of peer-to-peer observation and feedback in 181 schools, with Richard Murphy (UT Austin) and Gill Wyness (UCL). CEP Discussion Paper 1565, August 2018. Also published as DIW DP1753 and IZA DP11731.
- ICT and Education: Evidence from Student Home Addresses, with Ben Faber (UC Berkeley) and Rosa Sanchis-Guarner (LSE). NBER Working Paper No 21306 and CEP Discussion Paper 1359. June 2015.
Work in progress
- "Tuition Fees and Educational Attainment", with Jan Bietenbeck (Lund University) and Jan Marcus (Hamburg University). Draft.
- "Short and Long-Run Expectations about House Prices: Experimental Evidence", with Niklas Gohl (Potsdam), Claus Michelsen and Peter Haan (both DIW Berlin)
- "Local Rankings in Global Markets"
- The importance of time zone assignment: evidence from residential electricity consumption, LSE-Spatial Economics Research Centre Discussion Paper 126, LSE, 2013.