Machine Learning, Computer Vision, and Multimedia
- Email: farshid83 AT gmail DOT com, LinkedIn
- RoboticEQ (aka Simplr Technologies, an AI-based startup), CEO, 2017-present.
- Computer Science PhD at School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The Pennsylvania State University, 2018.
- Electrical Engineering PhD at School of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 2014.
Since my Computer Science PhD, I was funded by a seed grant for innovation from Penn State. The spin-off of the project was an AI-based startup co-founded by two faculties, called Simplr Technologies. Since June 2017, I joined Simplr Technologies (aka RoboticEQ) and appointed as the CEO by the co-founders.
My research interests lie in the area of computer vision, machine learning and big visual data computing. More specifically, I am interested in image aesthetics understanding, image retrieval and ranking, and multimedia processing not only machine/deep learning but also any other mathematical methods. Also, I have experience in the fields of big data computing, networking and security specially on resource allocation in distributed systems and parallel computing.
Research and Development
- Diversity Index across Photo Collection, Unsupervised ML and CV on Big Visual Data, New trending developed technology, 2018.
- Comprehensive Composition Assistance through Meaningful Exemplars, Deep ML and CV on Big Visual Data, PhD Dissertation, August 2018.
- Triangle Detection in Portrait and Landscape Images, ML and CV on Big Data, Part of CS PhD Dissertation, 2017.
- Emotion-aware Local Guide Technology, ML and CV on Big Data, Part of an NSF Project, 2017.
- Severe Weather Prediction from Radar Images, ML and CV on Big Data, Part of an NSF Project, 2016.
- Parallel Aesthetic Scoring Developed in Android by Render-Script, ML and CV on Big Data, Requirement of Innovation Seed Grant, 2016.
- Image re-Targeting Developed in Android by JNI, ML and CV on Big Data, Requirement of Innovation Seed Grant, 2016.
- Vanishing Point Detection in Natural Images, ML and CV on Big Data, Part of CS PhD Dissertation, 2015-2016.
- Stochastic Modeling and Optimization of Stragglers in Parallel Frameworks, Big Data Analytics with Queueing Theory, CS MSc Thesis, 2014-2015.
- Big Data Analytics on Hadoop/MapReduce Logs, Statistical Analysis, Internship at WD, 2014.
- Performance Evaluation of Map-Reduce Framework, Big Data Analytics, Research Assistantship, 2014.
- Optimal Placement of Network on Chip Components, Convex Optimization, Interconnect Network Course Project, 2013.
- Parallel File System Server with Disk Scheduler and Serializer, Distributed System, OS Design Course Project, 2013.
- P2P-like DHT-based Network, Distributed Systems, Course Project, 2013.
- Pluto Compiler Optimization for Fusion and Fission, Compiler Design, Course Project, 2012.
- Information-theoretic Steganalysis of Very Low Rate Hidden Messages inside the Image, Image Processing, EE PhD Dissertation, 2012.
- Cloud-segmented Multi-Dimensional Steganalysis, Image Processing, Research Assistantship, 2011.
- Eigenvalues-based Steganalysis (EVS), Image Processing, Research Assistantship, 2010.
- Multi-Dimensional Correlated Steganalysis (MDCS), Image Processing, Research Assistantship, 2010.
- Designing Game-Theoretic Network Simulator (GTNS), Network Security, Co-worker of an MSc Thesis, 2009.
- Analysis of 3G/4G Cellular Communications Authentication Protocol, Cellular Security, Internship Project, 2008.
- Improvement of Ad-hoc Network Routing Protocols, Network Security, EE MSc Thesis, 2005-2007.
- QoS-based Protocol Analysis in Ad-hoc Networks, Networking, Co-worker of an MSc Thesis, 2007.
- Designing Wireless Mobile Ad-hoc Network Simulator (WMANETSEC), Network Security, Internship Project, 2007.
- Analysis of 3G, WiFi, WiMax, and Bluetooth Systems Authentication, Cellular Security, Internship Project, 2006.
- Implementing Data Link Layer Algorithms in Optical CDMA Network Simulator, Networking, EE BSc Thesis, 2004-2005.
- Graduates: Mohammad-Mehdi Kamani, Yu Luo, Diman Zad Tootaghaj.
- Undergrads: Sahil Mishra, Shengguang Bai, Jeremy Ong, Yizhi Huang, Jeffery Cao, Luke Porupski.
- Discovering Triangles in Portraits for Supporting Photographic Creation, S He, Z Zhou, F Farhat, JZ Wang, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Aug 2017.
- Intelligent Portrait Composition Assistance — Integrating Deep-learned Models and Photography Idea Retrieval, F Farhat, MM Kamani, S Mishra, JZ Wang, July 2017.
- Skeleton Matching with Applications in Severe Weather Detection, MM Kamani, F Farhat, S Wistar, JZ Wang, Applied Soft Computing, May 2017.
- Detecting Dominant Vanishing Points in Natural Scenes with Application to Composition-Sensitive Image Retrieval, Z Zhou, F Farhat, JZ Wang, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, May 2017.
- Shape matching using skeleton context for automated bow echo detection, MM Kamani, F Farhat, S Wistar, JZ Wang, Big Data (Big Data), 2016 IEEE International Conference on, 901-908, Dec 2016.
- Detecting Vanishing Points in Natural Scenes with Application in Photo Composition Analysis, Z Zhou, F Farhat, JZ Wang, arXiv preprint arXiv:1608.04267, 2016.
- Optimal Placement of Cores, Caches and Memory Controllers in Network On-Chip, DZ Tootaghaj, F Farhat, arXiv preprint arXiv:1607.04298, 2016.
- Towards Stochastically Optimizing Data Computing Flows, F Farhat, DZ Tootaghaj, M Arjomand, arXiv preprint arXiv:1607.04334, 2016.
- Stochastic Modeling and Optimization of Stragglers, F Farhat, D Zad Tootaghaj, Y He, et al. IEEE Transaction on Cloud Computing, 2016.
- Fork-Join Queue Modeling and Optimal Scheduling in Parallel Programming Frameworks, F Farhat, EECS Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, 2015.
- Evaluating the Combined Impact of Node Architecture and Cloud Workload Characteristics on Network Traffic and Performance/Cost, DZ Tootaghaj, F Farhat, M Arjomand, P Faraboschi et al. Workload characterization (IISWC), 2015 IEEE international symposium on, 203-212, 2015.
- Towards blind detection of low-rate spatial embedding in image steganalysis, F Farhat, S Ghaemmaghami, IET Image Processing 9 (1), 31-42, 2015.
- Modeling and optimization of straggling mappers, F Farhat, DZ Tootaghaj, A Sivasubramaniam, MT Kandemir, CR Das, Technical report, Technical Report CSE-14-006, Pennsylvania State University, 2014.
- Security Weaknesses in PGP Protocol, F Farhat, M Heydari, MR Aref, 2013.
- Eigenvalues-based LSB steganalysis, F Farhat, A Diyanat, S Ghaemmaghami, MR Aref, The ISC International Journal of Information Security 4 (2), 97-106, 2012.
- Image steganalysis based on SVD and noise estimation: Improve sensitivity to spatial LSB embedding families, A Diyanat, F Farhat, S Ghaemmaghami, TENCON 2011-2011 IEEE Region 10 Conference, 1266-1270, 2011.
- Multi-dimensional correlation steganalysis, F Farhat, A Diyanat, S Ghaemmaghami, MR Aref, Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), 2011 IEEE 13th International Workshop, 2011.
- Game-theoretic approach to mitigate packet dropping in wireless Ad-hoc networks, DZ Tootaghaj, F Farhat, MR Pakravan, MR Aref, Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), 2011 IEEE, 163-165, 2011.
- Risk of attack coefficient effect on availability of Ad-hoc networks, DZ Tootaghaj, F Farhat, MR Pakravan, MR Aref, Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), 2011 IEEE, 166-168, 2011.
- Private Identification, Authentication and Key Agreement Protocol with Security Mode Setup, F Farhat, S Salimi, A Salahi, IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive, 2011.
- Locally Multipath Adaptive Routing Protocol Resilient to Selfishness and Wormholes, F Farhat, MR Pakravan, M Salmasizadeh, MR Aref, International Conference on Information Security Practice and Experience, 2010.
- An Extended Authentication and Key Agreement Protocol of UMTS, F Farhat, S Salimi, A Salahi, International Conference on Information Security Practice and Experience, 2009.