For Personal Return
1. Last year's federal and state return (for new clients only)
2. W-2s for wages, salaries, tips, and pensions
3. 1098s for mortgage interest paid
4. 1099s for interest, dividends, state tax refunds, retirement plan distributions, unemployment, cancellation of debt, and other payments
5. Retirement plan contribution statements
6. K-1s from partnerships, S corporations, estates and trusts
7. Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse and all dependents
If you itemize deductions to complete Schedule A, you'll need records and receipts for:
- Medical and dental expenses. This includes drugs, doctor office visit payments, dental care costs, hospital bills, medical insurance premiums as long as they aren't paid at work via pre-tax dollars, and the mileage to and from physicians' offices
- Taxes you paid, such as state and local income or sales taxes, real estate taxes and personal property taxes
- Mortgage interest and points. This is on the Form 1098 or substitute form noted previously
- Charitable contributions, regardless of whether as cash, credit card, other assets or household goods and clothing
- Casualty and theft losses
- Worksheet for personal deductions
If you own a rental property, please complete this worksheet: Worksheet for a rental property
If you're a small business owner and are filing Schedule C, you'll need all receipts and documentation pertaining to your company, including:
- Income statements, such as the 1099-MISC mentioned earlier as well as payment stubs for amounts not required to be reported on a 1099
- Home size and size of space used as a home office
- Self-employed health insurance payments
- Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE and other self-employed pension plan contributions
- Details on business use of your auto
- List for Business Deductions
- Have you received any correspondence from the Internal Revenue Service or state/local tax agencies?
- Did your marital status change during the year? If you divorced, did you receive or pay any alimony?
- Did you incur child care or dependent care expenses?
- Did you or any member of your household pay college expenses?
- Did you make any major improvements to your home?