Abhijit Das, PhD
Assistant professor Room L558, BLD: CSED, Thapar University,
He is currently working as an assistant professor at Thapar University. Previously, he has worked visiting scientist at the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, as a researcher at the University of Southern California’s Viterbi School of Engineering Information Sciences Institute, as a Post-Doc Researcher at Inria Sophia Antipolis– Méditerranée, France and as a Research Administrator at the Faculty of Software Engineering & IT at University Technology of Sydney (UTS), Australia. Prior to his PhD, he has worked as an Associate Software Engineer at IBM India Pvt Ltd. and as a Lecturer at distinguished universities. He has completed his PhD from the School of Information and Communication Technology, Griffith University, Australia. He is an accomplished machine learning and computer vision researcher with more than 10 years of research and teaching experience, presently pursuing an investigation on learning representations and human analysis employing facial and corporeal-based visual features.
During his research career, he has published several scientific articles in conferences, journals and a book chapter and has also received several awards from the IEEE, and other scientific organisations. Dr Das is involved in organising scientific events such as international conferences, workshops, competitions and special sessions at conferences, and has served as a guest editor for special issues, technical program committee member for several reputed international conferences and reviewer of top-ranking journals. He is also the winner of the IBM research sponsored ECCV 2018 BEFA competition.
* Organizing Competition on Signature verification in the Wild (SVW 2021) funded by TIH project ISI Kolkata
* Organizing a Special Session at FG 2021 "Applications in Healthcare and Health Monitoring"
* Organizing ICDAR 2021 Competition on Script Identification in the Wild (SIW 2021).
* Organizing the "11th International Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU)", Focus Theme: "Multi-Source Aspects Of Behavioural Understanding " in conjunction with WACV 2021.
* Conducting a webanir series on "Surviving the Deep Learning Apocalypse!" from July to Aug 2020. endorsed by Computer Society of India.
* Organizing the 7th Sclera Segmentation Benchmarking Competition 2020, in conjunction with International Joint Conference on Biometrics 2020.
* Organizing ICFHR2020 Competition on Short answer ASsessment and Thai student SIGnature and Name COMponents Recognition and Verification” SASIGCOM
* Organizing a special session on Human Health Monitoring Based on Computer Vision along with the FG 2020.
* Winner of the IBM Research sponsored Bias Estimation in Face Analytics (BEFA) Challenge, ECCV 2018
* Received the best poster award at IEEE FG 2019 for the paper titled "Robust Remote Heart Rate Estimation from Face Utilizing Spatial-temporal Attention".
* Organising a special issue for Elsevier Journal of IVC on "Novel Insights on Ocular Biometrics".