Below are the publication details for some of my recent work, a lot of which is available online (see w superscript). Also listed in grey are current/ongoing research projects (either not completed yet or not yet published). Please feel free to contact me on a.christoyannopoulos_at_gmail.com for any comments or questions, or to report any broken links.
- Leo Tolstoy's Political Thought (Routledge, forthcoming). [More information to follow.]
- (ed.) Essays on Anarchism and Religion (work in progress), co-edited with Matthew Adams [Click here for more information.]
- Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the Gospel (Exeter: Imprint Academic, 2010 [hardback]). 350 pages, 187,000 words. ISBN: 978-1845401931. [Click here for more information. w Chapter 1 available here and here. A French translation is being prepared.]
- Abridged paperback (Exeter: Imprint Academic, 2011). 290 pages, 145,000 words. ISBN: 978-1845402471.
- (ed.), Religious Anarchism: New Perspectives (Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009 [hardback]). 360 pages, 140,000 words. ISBN: 978-1443811323. [Click here for more information. w Chapter 6 available here, Preface and Introduction available here.]
- Paperback (Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011). 360 pages. ISBN: 978-1443831895.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- w "'Bethink Yourselves or You Will Perish': Leo Tolstoy's Voice a Centenary after His Death", Anarchist Studies, 18/2 (Autumn 2010): 11-18. 2,500 words. [Available here, here and here. A Russian translation by A. Kabanov is available as “«Одумайтесь, а то погибнете»: Голос Льва Толстого спустя столетие после его смерти”, in A.A. Guseinov and T.G. Shchedrina (eds), Лев Николаевич Толстой, part of Философия России первой половины ХХ века book series (Moscow: РОССПЭН, 2014), pp. 299-305.]
- w "Leo Tolstoy on the State: A Detailed Picture of Tolstoy's Denunciation of State Violence and Deception", Anarchist Studies 16/1 (Spring 2008) 20-47. 12,000 words. [Available here (4.2 MB) or here (1 MB).]
- w "Turning the Other Cheek to Terrorism: Reflections on the Contemporary Significance of Leo Tolstoy's Exegesis of the Sermon on the Mount", Politics and Religion 1/1 (April 2008): 27-54. 11,500 words. [Available here and here. An earlier draft presented at the Political Studies Association's 2005 Annual Conference is available here. A Bengali translation by Sumita and Pradip Baksi of this 2005 version has been published in Ebang Mushayera (Kolkata) 16/4 (January-March 2010): 379-403.]
- w "Love, Justice, and Social Eschatology", co-authored with Dr Joseph Milne, The Heythrop Journal 48/6 (November 2007): 972-991. 9,500 words. [Available here.]
Chapters in edited volumes
- "Anarchism and Religious Studies", The Anarchist Imagination: Anarchism Encounters the Humanities and the Social Sciences, edited by Carl Levy and Saul Newman (Routledge, 2015). [Will eventually be available online, but meanwhile email me if you would like to ask for a copy.]
- "The Golden Rule on the Green Stick: Leo Tolstoy's Postsecular International Thought", Towards a Postsecular International Politics: New Forms of Community, Identity, and Power, edited by Luca Mavelli and Fabio Petito (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014), 81-102. [Will be available online 3 years after publication, but meanwhile email me if you would like to ask for a copy. Also presented at Dialogue of Civilizations: World Public Forum conference (in Rhodes), September 2014, available here.]
- "Die Bergpredigt - ein christlich-anarchistisches Manifest: Ausgewählte Passagen libertär interpretiert", Christlicher Anarchismus: Facetten einer libertären Strömung, edited by Sebastian Kalicha (Freiburg: Verlag Graswurzelrevolution, 2013), 49-88. [More information here. German translation by Sebastian Kalicha of significant parts of Chapter 1 of Christian Anarchism.]
- w "A Christian Anarchist Critique of Violence: From Turning the Other Cheek to a Rejection of the State", Law, Morality and Politics: Global Perspectives on Violence and the State, edited by Stephen King, Carlo Salzani, and Owen Staley (Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press, 2010), 19-26. 3,000 words. [Available here. This is a ruthlessly condensed version of the paper listed further below.]
- "Christian Anarchism: A Revolutionary Reading of the Bible", New Perspectives on Anarchism, part of the Out Sources: Philosophy, Culture, Politics series, edited by Nathan Jun and Shane Wahl (Lanham, MD: Lexington, 2010), 149-167. 9,500 words. [This is a significantly revised version of the PSA 2006 paper listed below.]
- w "Responding to the State: Christian Anarchists on Romans 13, Rendering to Caesar, and Civil Disobedience", Religious Anarchism: New Perspectives, edited by Alexandre J. M. E. Christoyannopoulos (Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing: 2009), 106-144. 15,000 words. [Available here and here. A Greek translation by Christos Iliopoulos, due to be published soon in Χριστιανικός Αναρχισμός: Θέσεις και Προσεγγίσεις μιας Αναρχικής Θεολογίας (Amor Fati editions), is available here.]
- "Tolstoy’s Anarchist Denunciation of State Violence and Deception", Anti-Democratic Thought, edited by Erich Kofmel (Exeter: Imprint Academic, 2008), 85-100. 7,000 words. [This is a condensed version of the Anarchist Studies paper listed above. A Russian translation by A. Kabanov is available as “Порицание Толстым насилия и лжи государства с позиции анархизма”, in A.A. Guseinov and T.G. Shchedrina (eds), Лев Николаевич Толстой, part of Философия России первой половины ХХ века book series (Moscow: РОССПЭН, 2014), pp. 277-298.]
Interviews & short online contributions
- w "«Gesù
è stato il primo anarchico» Da Tolstoj a Occupy: Alexandre
Christoyannopoulos racconta i legami tra Cristianesimo e anarchia", Linkiesta, 12 October 2014. 800 words. [Available here.]
- w "Una discusión sobre anarquismo cristiano: Entrevista a Alexandre Christoyannopoulos", Erosión: Revista de Pensamiento Anarquista número 3, December 2013, pp. 111-120. Interview, Spanish translation and annotations by Pedro García Guirao. 4,000 words. [Available here.]
- w "It's Only Shorthand for a Cluster of Ideas and Practices", JesusRadicals, 20 July 2012. 1,800 words. [Available here.]
- w "Should Christians be Anarchists?", New Left Project, 8 June 2012. 1,500 words. [Available here.]
- w "Exclusive Interview with Alexandre Christoyannopoulos, author of 'Christian Anarchism'", interview for The Firebrand: A Magazine of Liberatory Politics, 11 July 2011. 3,000 words. [Available here.]
- Radio interview with William Crawley, on BBC Radio Ulster's Sunday Sequence programme, aired on 29 May 2011. [Was briefly available here, on BBC iPlayer, until 5 June 2011. Interview starts at 1:16:00 and lasts 6 minutes.]
- w "Was Jesus an Anarchist?", interview for Will and Testament, William Crawley's BBC blog, 17 May 2011. 2,000 words. [Available here.]
- w "An Introduction to Christian Anarchism", interview for The Mormon Worker, issue 10, 28 April 2011. 3,500 words. [Available here.]
- w "Tolstoy's Anarchism", an hour-long radio interview with C. S. Soong, on KPFA (Pacifica) Radio's Against the Grain programme, aired on 8 September 2008. [Click here for the link to the relevant KPFA page, and here to listen to the podcast.]
- Book review of Tripp York's Living on Hope While Living in Babylon: The Christian Anarchists of the 20th Century (Cambridge: Lutterworth, 2009), Anarchist Studies, 18/2 (2010): 126-127. 600 words.
- "The Golden Rule on the Green Stick: Leo Tolstoy's Postsecular International Thought", presented at the "Confronting the Global" conference in September 2011, and at "The Postsecular in International Thought" conference in October 2011. 11,500 words.
- "Tolstoy's Approach to Christianity",
presented at the "Anarchism" workshop of the Manchester Workshops in Political Theory in September 2010. 15,500 words.
- w "The Contemporary Relevance of Tolstoy's Late Political Thought", presented at the 21st World Congress of the International Political Science Association in July 2009. 8,500 words. [Available here, here and here. A Portuguese translation by Bruno
Luis Marra Silva and Ligia Chicareli Kawata, is available here.]
- w "Tolstoy the Peculiar Christian Anarchist", presented in June 2006 at the first Jesusradicals UK conference titled "God Save the Queen: Anarchism and Christianity today". 2,500 words. [Available here, here, here, and here. A Turkish translation by Alişan Şahin, "Nev-i Şahsına Münhasır Bir Hristiyan Anarşist: Tolstoy", is available in Qijika Reş Dergisi'nin 5. Sayısı Çıktı, 23 January 2012, 115-119.]
- w "Theorising Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the Gospel" (PhD Thesis, University of Kent, 2008). [Available via EThOS here, and here.]
Conference papers later revised for aforementioned publications
- w Christian Anarchism: The Forgotten Politics of Jesus' Rule of Love", presented at the Political Studies Association's Annual Conference in April 2006. [An improved version was presented at the World International Studies Conference in July 2008, and is available here and here. The original version is available here, here, and here.]
- w "A Christian Anarchist Critique of Violence: From Turning the Other Cheek to a Rejection of the State", presented at Inter-disciplinary.net's "Evil, Law and the State" 4th global conference and at the Political Studies Association's 60th Annual conference in March 2010. [Available here and here.]
- w "'Him Only Shalt Thou Serve': A Christian Anarchist Critique of the Westphalian International Order", presented at the British International Studies Association Annual Conference in December 2008, and at the "Rethinking Anarchy: Anarchism and World Politics colloquium" in June 2010. [Available here and here.]