Home‎ > ‎

About Us

Photo by Lewis Miller

West Ridge Community United Methodist Church began in 1924 when Mrs. Brooks of Rogers Park thought there was a need in the community for a place to teach children about Jesus. She approached her pastor, Dr. Walter Grimes, about establishing a church in the neighborhood. Originally meeting in the old Rogers Park Town Hall, Dr. Grimes conducted worship services until Mr. Schnell, a lumber salesman, took over as preacher on a part-time basis.  Since then, several pastors have served West Ridge.  Most notably, the Rev. Paul Grimes, son of West Ridge’s founder, became pastor in 1936.   He served West Ridge for 34 years.

On January 11, 1925, the first shovel of dirt was turned to build West Ridge Church (a community house) and four months later the cornerstone for the current building was laid. The church building was erected in three parts. The final part of the building—the current sanctuary—was dedicated in 1949.

Located at the corner of Lunt and Oakley, West Ridge UMC has been a fixture in West Rogers Park for ninety years.  We are a multi-cultural church, reflecting the diversity of our neighborhood.  We welcome you to join us for worship, study and fellowship.


To contact us:

West Ridge Community United Methodist Church

2301 W. Lunt Ave.

Chicago, IL 60645

Telephone:  (773) 465-3113

E-mail: westridgeumc@sbcglobal.net

Comments