The primary investigators within the SMSL are Dr. David Szymanski
and Dr. Braden Romer
, though other Department of Kinesiology faculty are also associated with research within the SMSL. Please see the Faculty & Staff
page for a full listing of graduate faculty within the Department of Kinesiology.
Dr. David Szymanski
is an internationally renowned researcher, primarily focusing on factors associated with enhancing sport performance, baseball and softball performance, and strength and condition. He also serves as the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach for the Louisiana Tech University Baseball team, providing opportunities for graduate assistants to gain applied knowledge in performance enhancement.
Dr. Braden Romer
primarily focuses on biomechanical factors related to athletic injury and cumulative trauma disorders, specifically the effect of footwear components on lower extremity and lumbar biomechanics and muscle activity.
Recent news and information regarding the SMSL can be found on our News Page
- Dr. Braden Romer will be presenting a paper on the International Symposium on Running Biomechanics in Calgary, AB, CAN on August 15, 2014.
- Dr. David Szymanski will be presenting his poster titled Perceptions, Attitudes, and Vision Performance Scores of Collegiate Baseball Players after Participating in 3D Vision Training on Friday, July 11, 2014 at the NSCA's National Conference.
- Dr. David Szymanski was given the President's Medallion by Louisiana Tech University President Dr. Les Guice.
- Mr. Tad Light has been awarded one of three spots for a summer internship at the NSCA's Human Performance Center in Colorado Springs, CO. More information can be found here.
- Dr. Braden Romer is running for the Chair of the Communications Council on the Board of Directors for the Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society's Board.
- Dr. David Szymanski is running for an at-large position on the Board of Directors for the National Strength & Conditioning Association. More information about Dr. Szymanski's candidacy, or to vote (NSCA members only), can be found here.
- Dr. Braden Romer will be giving a podium presentation on the Footwear Effects on Pelvic-Leg Coordination During Overground Walking at the 7th World Congress of Biomechanics on July 7, 2014 (Boston, MA). This paper has also been placed into the competition for the best doctoral level research paper.
- Dr. Braden Romer will be giving a podium presentation on the Influence of Tactile Feedback on Stride Length and Step Width During Normal Walking at the Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society 2014 Annual Conference (Newark, DE).
- Influence of Altered Heel Height on Lower Extremity Kinematics and Muscle Activity during a Barbell Squat
- Effect of Altered Afferent Feedback on Gait Kinetics during Walking for Females
- Dr. David Szymanski recently had a chapter published in the book Developing the Core, Human Kinetics, Champaign IL. pp. 133-140, 2014.