Additions, Amendments and Corrections to the
Catalogue of the Federal Tobacco Stamps of Canada
by Christopher D. Ryan
Second Edition, January 2021
The catalogue can be accessed on-line at the following links to Library and Archives Canada. (24 February 2023)
Version for Two-sided Printing - Click Here
Version for One-sided Printing - Click Here
General Library Catalogue - Click Here
26 May 2023
- Page 15 - Remove dagger from RM225n -- It has been seen.
24 February 2023
- Page 27 - Re: RN280 -- 1/12 pound with black denomination -- Examples of this stamp have been seen with such poorly aligned trimming that is evident that the items were issued in imperforate form. However, this does not preclude the similar trimming by the tobacco company of hyphen-perfed stamps.
11 March 2022
- Page 50 - New Item: RP1416 -- Short 4c on 2c on 1/9 pound
30 November 2021
- Page 66 - New Item: RG80 -- 'Red' Warehouse, Montreal Division, as RG79, but stamped "J.L. Vincent / Acting Coll." in violet.
- Page 76 - Remove dagger from RC4 - Black, Windsor Division, 1/20 lb Cigarettes -- It has been seen.
25 October 2021
- Page 102 - New Item: RL40 -- Like RL41, but Excise Tax overprint positioned at left end of cancellation box rather than at the standard right end. Observed serial numbers show that RL40 predates RL41.
17 August 2021
- Page 101 - New Item: RL21 -- "LIVRE" at Left End, blue 8c excise tax on 1 pound, green.
17 July 2021
- Page 37 - RP699 -- Series 1897, Green 1/9-lb -- has been found with albino impressions of the serial numbers, which are readily observed from the back of the stamps. Very little or no trace of the red ink is present in the impressions of the numerals.
7 July 2021
- Page 74 - In the conversion to PDF format, the image labels "RG660" and "RG668" were transposed into the right column text.
4 July 2021
- Page 77 - Correction - Delete "L" from image label "RC101L"
28 June 2021
- Page 13 - New Item: RM169 - Black Caddy, as RM168 but stamped "J.L. Vincent / Acting Coll." in violet.
15 March 2021
- Page 39 - Re: Note regarding Paste-Up Stamps.
A copy of RP730 -- Series 1915, 1/20-pound, imperf with blue serial numbers -- has been seen as a paste-up. Like most examples of these paste-ups, this used stamp has a serial number that is a multiple of 30. The stamp is well aged and Its roller cancel is unreadable. The 1/20-pound denomination of Series 1915 continued in use through the Series "A" and "B" periods into 1935.
16 February 2021
- Correction to Page 75 - Delete RG688, and replace it with RG687 -- 20 Cigars, Fine Roulettes
9 February 2021
- Nothing yet to report.