The Guitar Program at Bellaire High School is a unique educational gem thriving within one of our country’s largest urban school districts, the Houston Independent School District. Bellaire High School, known for academic excellence and quality of education, has been ranked among the best public schools in the nation (Newsweek Challenge Index 2003, 2005, 2010). A contributing factor to the pedagogical diversity at Bellaire is a fun, upbeat guitar program cultivated by highly qualified local music educators. The Guitar Program is known for providing attentive and well-rounded music instruction to hundreds of students each day.
You are invited to the
18th Annual Bellaire Guitar Festival
at Bellaire High School
May 6-10, 2019
featuring the Guitar Class of 2019
joined by guest artist-in-residence:
Grisha Goryachev, flamenco guitar.
Monday, May 6, 6:30pm, Mr. Grigassy's classes
Tuesday, May 7, 6:30pm, Mr. Moore's classes
Wednesday, May 8, 6:30pm, Mr. Stone-Ashe's classes
Thursday, May 9, 6:30pm, Concert Finale, (2nd/3rd year classes)
with the Bellaire Honors Guitar Orchestra, and soloist Grisha Goryachev.
Friday, May 10, 9:30am - 2:15pm, All classes and student soloists perform during their class periods. All teachers and classes are invited!
Come support local student performances of music for guitar solo and guitar ensemble!
All concerts are FREE and open to the public.
Each concert takes place in the Bellaire High School Auditorium,
5100 Maple St., Bellaire, TX 77401
Guitar Program Past Highlights
- November 2016 - Presentation and Masterclass (co-sponsored by J. Romero). From Argentina, the "Cuarteto Tempo" – Over 250 students in attendance.
- January 2015 - Presentation and Masterclass (co-sponsored by DaCamera of Houston). World renowned guitar virtuoso Eliot Fisk – Over 200 students in attendance.
- February 2013 - Participants and co-organizers, 3rd Annual H.I.S.D. All-City Guitar Festival (grades 3 to 12), MacGregor Elementary School, Joe Carmouche, Director.
- November 2012 -- Singer-songwriter and Israeli peace activist, David Broza, Performance and Q & A, co-sponsored by the Jewish Community Center.
- April 2012 -- Bellaire H.S. Guitar Festival, featuring guest artist-in-residence, world-renown flamenco guitar virtuoso Grisha Goryachev. (Mr. Goryachev has been a guest artist at Bellaire H.S. since 2008)
- February 2012 – Host for Second Annual H.I.S.D. All-City Guitar Festival, with classical guitar virtuoso, Dr. Steve Kostelnik. Approx. 200 students (grades 3-12) in attendance.
- October 2011 -- Classical guitarist and composer, Susan McDonald, Performance & Master-class
- February 2011 – Host for First Annual H.I.S.D. All-City Guitar Festival, approx. 250 students (grades 3-12) in attendance.
- November 2009 -- Award-winning Guitarist Stephen Bennett, Performance / Presentation
- February 2006 – National Champion guitarist Steven King, Performance / Presentation
- May 2005 – Nine students compete in State UIL: 2 gold medals, 6 silver, 1 bronze
- November 2004 – Award-winning guitarist Ricardo Cobo performs for guitar assembly
- April 2004 – Award-winning Flamenco Guitarist Adam del Monte and Dancer Laila del Monte: Performance / Presentation (co-sponsored by Guitar Houston) – Over 300 students in attendance
- November 2003 – Award-winning musicians Duo Erato (Martha Masters and Risa Carlson) Performance / Presentation (co-sponsored by Guitar Houston) – Over 200 students in attendance
- April 2003 – Masterclass: Music Mentorship Program (co-sponsored by DaCamera of Houston). World renowned guitarist Eliot Fisk – Over 350 students in attendance.
Contacting the Guitar Program
Faculty members may be contacted on any school day at Bellaire High School.
Phone messages can be left at the main office: 713.295.3704.
Our address is: Bellaire High School, 5100 Maple St., Bellaire, TX 77401