Our BeeCHARGE!! Greener Camp Authority (GSA) will be working to uphold our STELLAR ratings as clean/MOOP free BeeCharge camp. For since we can remember we have received a "GREEN" Low Impact to No Impact Trace Report and we pride ourselves on that. We'll be doing this again this year. We also love Burning Man for making this a major priority. "Burning Man is the largest Leave No Trace event in the world, and Black Rock City continues to be recognized by the Bureau of Land Management for not only maintaining Leave No Trace standards, but for setting high standards by which other recreation events are measured." Here! Here!
Things to think about:
- When Packing: Do you really need 500 plastic beads? Do you need to buy 50 plastic things at the dollar store? It's fun to share something magical, but think about how mother earth feels during the process....Minimize your STUFF footprint. Glow sticks, trinkets, MOOP, are you buying brand new shit AGAIN this year.
- Seen the story of stuff? Check that one out here: http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-stuff/
- SHARING: The concept of SHARING is big in BeeCharge. Things you can SHARE:
- Your Food. You're only going to eat half of what you eat in a normal week. Not to mention, someone at a Bacon camp will load you up with Bacon Bacon Bacon one morning, maybe four mornings. So get creative with a few beecharge camp mates and come up with some team meals and smart packing!
- One cup, bowl, plate, set of utensils per person for the week
- We do COMMUNITY condiments and COMMUNITY cookwares. Less shit. Makes the GSA happy.
- Sharing is Caring. Let's be all about it.
- We have magically arrived in a desert. CONSERVE THAT H2O. Unless it's going IN your body. Then you should drink at least 2 gallons a day.
- Laminated signs will be in the camp shower and at the tap to remind ourselves that turning off the water and scrubbing down is super fun. So is staying dusty for more than 2 hours.
- TRIPLE R's for GOOD MEASURE
- Reuse - Can I use this again?
- Recycle - Is this recyclable?
- Reduce - Do you really need it? Single use items v. reusable items (i.e.. glow sticks, rechargeable batteries, reusable water bottles)
- CAMP TRASH/RECYCLE BINS
- Clear signage to tell bees where and what to recycle.
- Composting may happen. We'll keep you posted.
- MOOP is an acronym for "Matter Out of Place", a convenient way of referring to anything that is not originally OF the land on which our event takes place. So everything that wasn't originally ON or OF the Black Rock Desert, no matter how small, is considered MOOP, and is to be removed as part of our Leave No Trace efforts. MOOP also includes greywater, and the particulates contained therein.
- When you are chillin at camp and you see a piece of paper float by. Pick it up! What what!
Always check out Burning Man's website for more about this stuff for the entire burn.