HISTORY
 
    As the Second World War approached in 1939 plans were made to evacuate most of the headquarters departments of the Admiralty to a safe place in the provinces and Bath was chosen as their base.  Technical staff were moved from London and the Royal Dockyards at Portsmouth, Devonport, Chatham, Sheerness and Rosyth to form a whole new community in the city.
 
    Many of these were already Freemasons and within a month Bro the Reverend W Hopkins, vicar of St Lukes church in Wellsway, invited Admiralty Masons to an informal meeting in the St Lukes church hall to,
 
a) Welcome the evacuees and,
b) Discuss how best to continue their Masonic activities whilst living in Bath. 
 
    Shortly afterwards an approach was made to the Provincial Grand Master with a view to forming an Admiralty Lodge, but this suggestion did not meet with favour as all evacuated staff were promised to return to their homes after what was expected to be a short conflict had ended and the Lodge would inevitably lapse. They continued to meet in the Beau Nash House next to the Theatre Royal as a 'Lodge of Instruction' and fourteen different Lodges were represented by the membership.
 
    At a meeting on 22nd May 1940 it was agreed to regularise the meetings under the sponsorship of the Royal Albert Edward Lodge No. 906 for 'Officials of His Majesty's Services temporarily resident in the City' to be known as RAE Lodge of Instruction, Admiralty Section'. and from November 12th meetings could be held in the Masonic Hall, Old Orchard Street, Bath.  Early in 1947 it was announced that the Admiralty would be staying in Bath and progress was made to forming St Lukes Lodge named in recognition of St Lukes church hall having been the original meeting place. St Luke also being the Patron Saint of Sailors.
 
On 8th November 1947 St Lukes Lodge was consecrated.
 
    In October 1948 the title of the Lodge of Instruction changed to St Lukes, this ended the fruitful period under the banner of Royal Albert Edward Lodge No. 906. 220 Brethren attended the event which had to be held at the Pump Rooms as the Masonic Hall could not accomodate such numbers. The banquet was at Fortt's dining rooms at a cost of One Guinea per head.
 
    Like most Masonic activity the Lodge has experienced plentiful and lean times. Today it remains a small but very active group of Masons from a variety of employment backgrounds of mixed age groups who support the unquestionable principles of the institution in a friendly, convivial and social atmosphere.
 
Today St Lukes membership is diverse, recruiting from all walks of life, should you require further information or membership details,
 
Apply to the contact details on the Home page.
 
 
    
Comments