Whitewater Federation of Women's Clubs
CHALLENGE CAMPAIGN GOAL MET!!! Thanks to generous members of our community, friends, and members, we were able to meet and exceed our fundraising goal of $10,000 this Spring (2022). $10,000 of the funds raised will be matched by an anonymous donor. Funds raised will be used for the preservation and maintenance of our beautiful Bassett House. Although the deadline to meet this goal has passed, we will always grateful accept donations to Whitewater Federation of Women's Clubs to maintain The Historic Bassett House.
More information on the history of the Bassett House and the Whitewater Federation of Women's Clubs can be found below.
Bassett House is available as a venue for your events
In addition to the meeting room, which has a capacity of 40, there is a kitchen, coat room, restroom, dining table with buffet and an alcove with a baby grand piano. For information on rentals, navigate to the rentals page.
Whitewater Federation of Women's Clubs consists of three clubs: Alpha Minnieska, Emerson and Florence Bassett. All three clubs are currently recruiting new members. Contact any member or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on joining.
The purpose of the Corporation known as the Whitewater Federation of Women’s Clubs shall be a means of communication to provide for the following: mutual helpfulness and betterment of our city, educational enrichment of our membership, and preservation of Bassett House. Any club or individual who supports the objectives of the Corporation may become a member. Contact the federation or club officers for more information. Links to more information about the three clubs are found.
History of Bassett House and Bassett Family: The home was bequeathed to the Whitewater Federation of Women's Clubs by Florence Bassett in 1926.
Built in 1857 for Thomas and Bessie Vilas Bassett and daughter, Florence. The Bassetts came to Whitewater from New York state. Thomas owned and operated the Boot and Shoe Store which was located just west of the grist mill built on the creek in the 1830's. Mr. Bassett sold groceries, provisions and garden seeds in addition to boots and shoes. Thomas lived in his lovely new home for only seven years before selling his store and moving for health reasons. Florence and her mother continued to live in the house for the remainder of both of their lives. Florence had been a member of one of the Federation clubs and treasured the friendships she had formed.
Architecture: The house was built in the transitional Greek Revival style with Italianette features. The house remains essentially as built, a though a two-story addition was made to the west side of the house in 1878 and several downstairs walls were removed on the first floor in order to form a large meeting room.